Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body may be rejecting lab band

I read in the paper were maybe Medicare with regular insurance companies to follow (most likely) that they are considering to no longer pay for treatment for infections and mistakes - that the doctors & hospitals will have to eat the cost for treatment. Well, maybe this will make them be more diligent in sanitising(sp) not leaving spunges in you etc??

I just though it was interesting artical -

I'd be all for that. I think it's a great idea. With that said I doubt it will happen since there are few times where it can be proven who was at fault. Look at the people that post here about going swimming in a community pool days after surgery. People pee in those pools and some of the newbies are swimming with newly healing incisions. If they are told not to go swimming or take tub baths for "X" weeks after surgery and they do it anyway causing an infection, should the doc or hospital have to pay for that?

Another problem is that if hospitals and docs have to absorb the costs for infections, will they be as aggressive in treating them? If someone has MRSA and needs IV Zyvox or Vanco, will the doc opt for oral Cipro to make things cheaper since he's paying the bill?

If docs and hospitals really did have to pay for their own mistakes I think they would certainly be more careful. But when it comes to infections it's hard to prove who is at fault, the hospital nurse for not washing her hands, the doc for crappy sterile technique during surgery, or the patient for not following instructions.

Hello "Wasabubblebutt"

Thank you for your concern regarding my dilemma. I agree with you, in that common sense should tell a doctor to culture an infection so he will know what he is dealing with. To be honest with you, I rarely get to see the surgeon who banded me. The person who is actually treating my wound is the physicians assistant to the surgeon. Occasionally, if I happen to be in the office at the time the surgeon is there, he will be called in to examine the progress of my infection. What really irritates me is that there are two other bariatric surgeons who are a part of this practice and two weeks ago one of the assiciates told me that my infection was OVER and that all I needed to do was put some Neosporin on it and it will start healing even faster. I guess he overlooked the redness and swelling that my surgeon picked up on last Friday. And, to top it all off, about four weeks ago, while I was going to the clinic daily so they can pack my infected wound, one of the medical assistants told me that the infection was "cleared up" and I could cancel all of my upcoming daily appointments. Like the trusting idiot that I am, I followed her advice, and cancelled all of my wound packing appointments. I had made a separate appointment for the following week to have an adjustment. When the physicians assistant started to do my adjustment, he discovered that the wound healed itself too fast because it hadn't been packed in several days. So, he had to numb all of my flesh around the wound area and cut into it, reopening some of the pockets. This whole ordeal has been nothing but an emotional and physical roller coaster. The only reason I even considered having the entire band removed was because I'm sick of dealing with all this conflicting medical advice out of the same office. I mean, if I developed all these problems with the port, God only knows the problems in store for me down the road with the band itself. I wish I could go to another bariatric surgical clinic in my area, at least to get a second opinion, but this is the only one in Las Vegas (Surgical Weight Control Center). I don't know if it would be worthwhile going to my regular internist or even an infectious disease doctor. Thanks again, for all of your suggestions. I will definately suggest doing a culture when I see the doctor again on Friday. Your response has been most helpful. Mary

Dear Mary, I Too Have An Infection And Am Going Through Some Of The Very Same Things. Scary Isn't It? Geesh. My Packing Was Removed After 3 Days And All That Was Cultured..i Have Staph Aureas...which Is The Least Of Staph's ..ha. They Gave Me Keflex X 4 500mg For 10 Days And I Got It Check Out In 3 Days. After That I Go In 2 More Days For A Follow Up. I Am Feeling Better But Horrible Sore Near The Port Area. Also Am Looking For A Follow Up Dr As Mine Turned Me Away At The Door. I Am Petlady And You May Email Me Directly If You Like. Barbara

Mary...

Since they are telling you that you are cured and sending you off with an open wound, something is very wrong here. It isn't up to a medical asst. to determine if there is an existing infection. Medical assistants are wonderful people that do a great job but they simply are not trained to determine if an infection has cleared up or not. And to permit such a person to make these decisions is unprofessional and simply... cheap. It's cheaper than having a trained person determine this. Matter of fact, I wouldn't even permit a medical asst. to pack a wound. It wouldn't happen. They are really trained to assist others in doing these things, they are not trained to actually do these procedures.

If I were in your shoes I'd be changing docs in a split second.

One concern here is that at this point your port is surely at risk. If the infection continues it can travel up the tubing to the band and then you are really in a world of hurt. You *will* lose your band at that point.

This is really quite serious, nothing to have a medical asst. diagnosing.

Try a search on "infection" and "rib cage". There is a person that posts here (can't remember who) that had a similar infection and s/he ended up losing his/her entire rib cage to infection and osteomylitis.

Don't let med assts touch you, you have every right in the world to have a trained person treating you.

As Wabb says, the infection can and does travel along the tubing--going in either direction. I have an aquaintence here in town who was banded well over a year ago. She went to Mexico for banding, and had never had any problems. 3 months ago, her gall bladder had to be removed, and she got infection. They did that surgery laprascopically as well. Her incisions were VERY red, and heated. Being a nurse herself, she knew, she dealt with it immediately. It ended up a MRSA infection, and she had a helluva time clearing it up. Her band is history---the infection took it and the port. It was another surgery to remove it, one insurance would not give a prior authorization on, but was something that had to be done regardless. Now she is catching flack from her surgeon, and the insurance, claiming it was residual problems from her Mexican banding.

She is now dealing with it through an attorney---for lack of any other way to deal with it.

Get another opinion, do not delay. The band is not to blame---don't take away a wonderful tool for weight loss, because a Dr. did not properly follow up. I hope you get the help you need. I do understand the financial aspect of it all---my heart goes out to you!

Kat

Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm not banded yet, but still in the research phase to see what Doc I want to use. I'm a Licensed Massage Therapist, and I am also trained in aromatherapy. My aunt has psoriasis really bad, and I make a lotion for her to use. While she was at the beach on vacation, she developed a really bad infection on her foot. She didn't bother going to the Dr. and by the time she got home, half her foot was infected. They thought they might have to remove most of her foot. It was MRSA. After tests it was discovered that the infection had been kept at bay, and her surgeons were amazed that they would only have to remove about a dime sized portion of her foot. When he asked her what she had been doing to treat it, she said that the only thing that she had been using was the lotion that I made for her. He laughed and told her that whatever was in her lotion not only saved her foot, but probably saved her life. I would suggest that if conventional meds aren't working, they might need a little help. Find a good aromatherapist in your area and see if they can help. It's not meant to be used instead of antibiotics, but with them. I have had a lot of good results with essential oils. It's worth a shot if it keeps you from putting your health at more risk.

Someone please help me! I am concerned I have a band slip. I have not eaten anything I should not have, still on liquids unless I've loaded up on liquids too quickly. I'm not sure but I think my port in the middle. It looks like a hole is there (as I change out the bandages each day--no the ones from the hospital lasted 1 shower). On my right side, I feel something moving and it is hard to touch when you put your hand on it. My stomach is bloated so much still. It's not painful, just a funny feeling as if something is moving and if I sit it feels like something will "fold" over in that area. I have a appt tomorrow at 9:45 and hope I can hold out until then (without panicking). Has anyone had this feeling? Please advise.

Rumar

Thanks but am I supposed to feel anything on my right side? Also, the feeling of "something about to fold over or in other words, like a charlie horse?"

Rumar