Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've noticed that since surgery when I have a drink it hits me hard and I actually blackout when I drink now. I feel super guilty every time I drink now and don't like that feeling. I've decided to stop drinking for a while after another weekend of "OMG what did I put on social media/text/say to people". I will be having drinks in September when I go to Italy but I feel like it would be a good idea to stay sober until then because even though I only drink on Saturdays, I over indulge.

Has anyone else been going through drinking issues or do any of you have good mock tail recipes? All the ones I'm finding are carbonated and that's a no no for us. Thanks for listening!!

My ex-wife had gastric bypass some years ago. She'd always been a drinker, but after the surgery she was out of control. It ended in arrest and removal from the home. Everyone makes their own choices, but my experience with drinking after bariatric surgery hasn't been very positive.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

if you are blacking out, then I guess I would rethink drinking in Italy. Blacking out in public is a very dangerous situation for you! if it were me, at this point the carbonation might be a better choice than the alcohol. if you feel you can not stop drinking please get help. some people drink without issue after surgery, but many people have problems. very common.

one thing is a diluted juice (apple) can look like alcohol in a glass over ice, or a nice diet cran grape juice can look like wine and you can feel you fit in with the crowd but not feel like you are putting yourself at risk.

I am 4 months out from surgery. I love wine and whiskey both - but have no plans to drink at all until maintenance and then I will be trying things out at home, with the husband where I know I am safe.

So I've noticed that since surgery when I have a drink it hits me hard and I actually blackout when I drink now. I feel super guilty every time I drink now and don't like that feeling. I've decided to stop drinking for a while after another weekend of "OMG what did I put on social media/text/say to people". I will be having drinks in September when I go to Italy but I feel like it would be a good idea to stay sober until then because even though I only drink on Saturdays, I over indulge.

Has anyone else been going through drinking issues or do any of you have good mock tail recipes? All the ones I'm finding are carbonated and that's a no no for us. Thanks for listening!!

Blacking out is not good. That is plenty of reason not to drink in my opinion.

I highly recommend that you talk to your PCP and maybe even consider visiting some AA meetings.

Thank you for all your feedback guys! I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic by any means. It's just 2 glasses of wine hit me hard and I'll be in social settings and the "peer pressure" to keep having drinks makes me think oh one more, until I'm wasted. This isn't an everyday thing, and I'm definitely not trying to justify my behavior because I clearly have a problem with knowing my limit after surgery. It's frustrating going from being able to out drink the pack and now I'm still in that mind set but I definitely can't do that. I think taking a step back for a while would be best.

Well the first hurdle is recognizing you have an issue and you have done that! I made the mistake of having about 4 drinks in about 6 hours. I didn't black out or anything but was drunker than what I consider acceptable. Plus it put me into a stall. The easy fix is not to do that again. It doesn't matter if you have an issue with alcohol or peer pressure.... It's. dangerous! I hope you follow the plan and don't drink. Please be careful in Italy.... Blacking out in a foreign country doesn't sound like the a good idea.

It sounds like it is not a good idea for you to be drinking alcohol right now. I love wine and martinis, but my focus is on my health, which is more important than drinking. No judgement, but we all have to recognize our limitations when it comes to post-surgery life. If I never have a glass of wine again, but get back my health and can do the things I want to do physically, it will be totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I probably shouldn't ask this, but rank curiosity propels me to do so:

How many drinks do you have before blacking out?