Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What phrase makes you crazy?

While I read the hundreds of 3 week post op posts about the stalling and the million "embrass the stall" comments I am fine.

But everytime I hit a stall (which seem to come at 3 week intervals and last for 2+ weeks), I wanna warn others, if one person tells me to "embrass" this frigging stall I will stab them. I don't wanna embrass it. Sure I can deal with it, I can remember they happen, but embrass it. No. Never.

What phrase do you get a lot lately that makes you crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Do you mean 'embrace'?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I disagree with the platitude "embrace the stall" being given as a stock answer, but it doesn't make me crazy. I think if someone is able to see the positives in a stall and to genuinely embrace it, then kudos to them, but it's perfectly natural to be dismayed and want to actively do something about it. People shouldn't feel the need to make their feelings mirror someone else's, or that there is a right way or wrong way to react to the stall. I'd rather just give out and receive factual information and practical advice. I'm personally more in the middle about stalls. I definitely feel discouraged when I step on the scale and see the same number (or worse, one that's a bit higher) as the day, week, or even month before. I had a very long stall this spring that was finally broken when I increased my calories and carbs. The benefit for me of stalling out is that losing weight at a slower pace has helped me to not have much hair loss, and I have no loose skin.

I understand and appreciate ISG's well thought out "embrace the stall" original post.

I do get tired of seeing the term get thrown around so casually as a knee-jerk reaction to someone's lack of progress. It's almost like, "oh....so sorry you aren't getting anywhere this week...this month....this six month's......so sorry....here ya go...just embrace it". It does get tossed around like a warm blanket and hug......when I believe the intent was more of a plan of action.....a battle cry, if you will.

The only thing I embrace is progress....moving forward and downward !

I don't think I've ever posted "Embrace the stall."

But do you know why I like that phrase?

Because (to me) it means that after having had WLS I no longer must engage in high-anxiety yo-yo dieting. I now eat and exercise every week the way I'm supposed to eat and move to be healthy.

My last 15 pounds took 8 months to come off while I continued doing what I needed to do.

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, all those months of patience and consistent lifestyle are serving me well.

But "ask your NUT" is the phrase I'm not so down with. ;)

My particular NUTs were not very helpful. Enough said.

I think that a "helpful NUT" is a mythical creature. I'm fairly certain they don't exist in real life.

I have very heated discussions with mine, and I agree - but I do think people should consult their program and if they choose to not go with everything it says, to do so mindfully.

I remember scratching my head when I encountered "ask your NUT" for the first time, and trying to figure out if it was an acronym, and if so, what it meant. A lot of possibilities went through my head before I realized it was just an abbreviation for nutritionist. I had surgery in Mexico and did consult with my surgeon's nutritionist then, but have not stayed in touch since. I think I could email her if needed, though. I have consulted with a local registered dietitian who has worked with bariatric patients, but do not go to her with every question that's arisen. My husband is a physician and is really generous with his time, letting patients email and call him, but I've seen how that's made his inbox swell up and taken up a lot of personal time. Some people email him constantly about minor issues, and expect a prompt reply. I think that's unreasonable. I understand that people don't want to make an appointment to discuss all their concerns because that takes up their time and is an additional expense, but they also need to be respectful of his time. If I were a nutritionist, I wouldn't want every patient emailing or calling me with every question that pops into their mind. I'd want them to present the majority of their questions / concerns in a consultation, and then perhaps ask the occasional question if it's pressing and hasn't already been answered.

I do think that when it comes to actual medical issues, people absolutely should consult their surgeon or another in-person medical professional. I've personally witnessed the significant problems that can occur when someone takes the advice of people on the internet over their licensed medical doctors. When it comes to less consequential matters, like whether or not the sandwich they ate that day was too carb-heavy, IMO it's more logical to get feedback from a site such as this one.

I've mainly tried to find the answers for any questions I have online through information posted by reputable bariatric centers, and then might do a keyword search here. I do find that this forum is helpful because most nutritionists, RDs, and even surgeons haven't had VSG themselves, and cannot provide suggestions from a personal perspective as members here have.

- Sorry for my post being a bit ranty, haha.

Hearing that someone was "shamed" simply because someone else disagreed with him/her.

You can't control the words or actions of someone else but you can control your reaction.

Your right u can't control others words. And you are better off just controlling your reactionso. On the other hand if you don't have anything nice to say don't be hurtful because you can.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using the BariatricPal App

Hearing that someone was "shamed" simply because someone else disagreed with him/her.

You can't control the words or actions of someone else but you can control your reaction.

By the way I did give you a like.

While I read the hundreds of 3 week post op posts about the stalling and the million "embrass the stall" comments I am fine.

But everytime I hit a stall (which seem to come at 3 week intervals and last for 2+ weeks), I wanna warn others, if one person tells me to "embrass" this frigging stall I will stab them. I don't wanna embrass it. Sure I can deal with it, I can remember they happen, but embrass it. No. Never.

What phrase do you get a lot lately that makes you crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I agree with you! Embrace it NO. Think think think about it! That's the way to past it. Give yourself a chance to work it out. You will find the answer. Don't give up,

Your right u can't control others words. And you are better off just controlling your reactionso. On the other hand if you don't have anything nice to say don't be hurtful because you can.

Your idea of what is "hurtful" may be someone else's definition of being helpful. You can't read tone or intent on the Internet.

:)