Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having surgery June 15th

Hey everyone,

My surgery date is 2.5 days away and I'm starting to freak!!!! I haven't had any surgery before besides wisdom teeth.. Can anyone give me tips?? Let me know how painful recovery was?? Did it feel like you were put under for awhile or did it fly by? Thank you!

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

Best of luck to you @@Janiegirl1!!

At my first failed attempt (complication arose during procedure with proper inflation of the abdomen), the hour or so felt like the blink of an eye.

At my first failed attempt (complication arose during procedure with proper inflation of the abdomen), the hour or so felt like the blink of an eye.

Did it go better after they fixed it?

Did it go better after they fixed it?

The procedure was aborted after 3 incisions. So there was no complete surgery that day, but I am set for my 2nd attempt on 7-6-16.

Hey everyone,

My surgery date is 2.5 days away and I'm starting to freak!!!! I haven't had any surgery before besides wisdom teeth.. Can anyone give me tips?? Let me know how painful recovery was?? Did it feel like you were put under for awhile or did it fly by? Thank you!

You won't realize how long you were under. When they prep you in the OR they will start an IV and give you something to relax (ie Valium) and you will be asked a lot of questions (multiple times). Once they bring you into the OR - you won't remember much and will wake up groggy in recovery. The RN will be helping you to wake up and remove the intubation tube. You will be medicated so hopefully won't feel pain. Good luck!!!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I suggest buying gas x strips and taking with you for after the surgery it will help with the gas pains big time! Be sure you get the strips not the pills. After the surgery get up and walk as much as possible it will help get that gas out as well. The only day I broke down from pain was day 3 it's the worst day, my only regret was that I didn't stay in the hospital for day 3 because I knew it was going to be ruff, I work in surgery and Iv always been told by my doctors day 3 is the worst and now I am a firm believer. But I promise you will be suprised that every day when you wake up you feel so much better than the previous day. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm having my surgery on the 21st but I've had a LOT of surgeries before, so I can chip in on those questions. It's actually really surreal. Surgeries and anesthesia really differs. Sometimes you'll be in and out in a blink of an eye and sometimes you'll have vivid dreams or hallucinations. The most important thing is either way, you'll be without feeling and you'll be off in your own world if just for a minute or what feels like a lifetime. For example, I had a major urologic reconstruction in 2008. It was an 18 hour surgery. It felt like I was down for...5 minutes? I had my kidney transplant in 2013 and felt like I was down for hours, and it was probably my only "freaky" surgery experience in that, and this is hard to explain, but it felt like as the nurse was talking to me it just stopped being talking and it started being a droning that circled around me.

As far as recovery pain, I can't give WLS exacts, but for most surgeries it's painful. BUT you're lucky for the first few days you'll have a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) pump to use at your leisure when it begins to hurt. That's for the first few hours or days (depending on the surgery) so your body can recoop a little bit. After they cut you off, though, it'll hurt but laparoscopic surgery usually isn't too terrible. I'm not going to sugar coat it and say it won't hurt, because it will, but you should be given stuff to help and it usually gets better and becomes more of an irritant than a pain after a few days.