Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The first Dr. I went to said my insurance requires a 6 month diet plan prior to surgery. But, the Dr. Has not seen any medical records yet, could that 6 months diet be waved after reviewing my medical records?? Anyone else?

Thanks

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Jenjen2016 It all depends on what your plan requires. Some plans require it to start after your first consultation - others want to see a 6 month diet program in the past 2 years. They're all so different - it's impossible to predict. My Bariatric Team was willing to work with me on reducing my 6 month time frame because I had PCP visits documenting weight loss attempts previously. If you have 6 months - don't worry - use this time to get prepared. I'm going to counseling/therapy to get emotional eating / mindless eating under control before surgery. I've also taken the time to learn everything there is about my procedure and life post-op.

it will depend on your plan. mine would have allowed previous dr visits if I was trying to loose weight.

but don't get discouraged, just get started. a year from now you will be glad you stuck with it!

Most likely not. I too had an insurance required 6 month medically supervised weight loss period - it requires monthly appointments with a report for each appointment. Some insurance just requires that you don't gain during that period whereas others want you to lose a specific amount to show commitment to making the necessary lifestyle changes.

Don't be discouraged! The time will go much faster than you think. You will be busy with going to all your pre-op testing appointments, meeting with the nutritionist etc.

Use the time to start making changes in what and how you eat and to start building up your activity level. As well as researching the procedure and post-op life. Also, working on the head part of this which is a big part - changing your whole relationship with food. Remember - it's stomach surgery not brain surgery - you have work on the brain part.

Again - do not be discouraged! Two years from now when you are so much healthier - that 6 months will seem like a flash and all worth it!

If the 1st Dr was your surgeon, then you have to see another Dr for the med supervised diet. That Dr should be faxing the info to the surgeon's office. Then the surgeon sends everything to the insurance company. At least that's what's happening in my case.

Your insurance may mention something about a multidisciplinary approach through a bariatric program for weight loss, in that case mine said it only had to be three months...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Edited by nyteacher125

Thanks all! Well, after speaking to insurance again, I was able to track the right documents on requirements. Since my Dr. Has not seen any medical records yet there is still a chance of no waiting period

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App