Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

25 months later..3 weeks with an unfilled band....

I haven't been on for awhile, but have had some interesting insight to this great tool we have. In april I saw a new fill Dr, being banded in Mexico. Great care, the whole picture, nutrition,exercise,supplements...

I had lost 80 pounds until then, being a bad bandster....but slowly getting there. His attitude was get it off quick, the band will make sure it stays off.....Looking at a 2 yr anniversary I agreed to follow his plan, which included a no carb diet. Well without getting into the ugly details...I went too tight for 5 weeks and lost 56 pounds. I didn't have to follow his plan, I could barely get Water down...I went from 266 to 211. Past my 100 pounds lost mark and kept going. I can understand how some women fight anerexia, I was so sick that my family finally made me go in. I had an unfill, it was better for a few days, then too tight, This happended 3 times, over another 2 month and got down to 195....so I had an upper GI and was thrilled to see that I was fine, no slip. Drs decided that I needed a break and unfilled me... I was horrified..When they took it out, they found there was an extra cc floating around in there....they do not use flouro....and somewhere along the line I was still very overfilled to 8.5cc when I never could tolerate more then 8cc....(this after 3 unfills ). This isn't a blast at my Dr as they kept seeing me, not charging me and working to fix me....But it was a complete mental freak to become unfilled.. I found out very quickly that I had the band for a reason....I love food. I didn't go crazy, it took a week for my stomach to feel "normal"again. But I had my favorites, a burger..a Ruben sandwich..and really enjoyed them..I tried to eat smart, I tried not to beat myself up when I wasn't being smart. ( was also on a vactaion for 8 days of it:) And I really missed my band..then it isn't a mental battle for me. I gained 10 pounds....but I figure a good 5 was from being so dehydrated to start...Yesterday I got my fill, on the way there I mourned the foods that I could no longer eat....not as bad as I mourned pre-surgery..because I now have the knowledge that you can go back with a big unfill. I do know that I am happeir mentally, when I have my band. I am not a constant struggle with urges I can not control...that is a big comfort to me. I have lost 130 pounds and am 25 from my goal. From here on out it will be slow and steady..my Band being a great tool, that I appreciate so much more ,now....

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Glad you got the problem fixed -- an extra cc.....?? How weird is that!!?!

And congrats on getting to enjoy a trip down memory lane with the burgers and stuff.

Now, back to the task at hand!!:D

Too tight is the most awful feeling, I have been there too, I probably need a fill now but it is much nicer to eat healthy than nothing at all, it slowed me down as far as weight loss but I just want to lose about 20 more so I will go slow, it isnt a race and I like the fact i dont have that awful feeling anymore. I am glad you are doing better and the weight you have already lost is amazing!