Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Lap Band heart palpatations

Saw my surgeon that did my lap band today, I asked him about the palpatations (again) told him about all the ideas and suggestions. He says that he thinks its because certain people are more prone to the palpatations anyway but after lap band your diet changes and most women especially need extra Calcium and magnesium. He said that when he was a resident that when someone had a heart attack that they gave them calcium and it would stop the arrythmias. He suggested the medication Citracel, said the calcium thats in Tums also has carbinate which will cause gas so to stay away from that kind. He also said to increase fluids big time.

I don't know, I guess I'll try it out and see what happens, he also wants to do another fill, it will be my third because I've only lost 4 lbs the last 6 weeks. :cry

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

I have been having palps for years always around my period, these are considered benign (sp). However, since getting my banding in late August 07 I have been getting them more and more. I have a heart condition from carrying my twin boys three years ago but have been improving and feeling good. These heart palps started after my first fill. They always seem to happen after I eat, always always when I'm full and when my heart rate goes up (just moving around normally). My Cardiologist thinks I'm crazy that this has to do with my band. He has lowered my meds and just raised them. I think I'm already on too much. It's nice to know i'm not crazy.:lol:

This makes me a little nervous...I'm not banded yet, but in the past few months I've been experiencing rapid/irregular/hard heartbeats. I've been to the doctor and had an EKG and an Echocardiogram. The doctor said nothing is wrong and that it's probably just stress, but it concerns me that people are seeing this get worse. I've totally given up caffeine for the past 3 months and I've been trying not to stress out, but it still happens occasionally and even keeps me up all night sometimes.

This makes me a little nervous...I'm not banded yet, but in the past few months I've been experiencing rapid/irregular/hard heartbeats. I've been to the doctor and had an EKG and an Echocardiogram. The doctor said nothing is wrong and that it's probably just stress, but it concerns me that people are seeing this get worse. I've totally given up caffeine for the past 3 months and I've been trying not to stress out, but it still happens occasionally and even keeps me up all night sometimes.

I'm in the same boaot. I don;t think I have palputations but have rapid and hard heart beats that come and go. I've been monitored man times since my father has a heretic heart disease and I need to be checked yearly. anyways, after ekg's, echoes, and stress tests I always get tested negative for any heart problems.

I have acid reflux, so once in awhile I get a sharp "twinge" in my chest and I always think its my heart. Usally I start to feel dizzy, heart beats faster and can feel like its going to pop out my chest. Basically its a panic attack. Doctors don;t like calling that but half these situations that doctors say os due to stress, are acutally panic attacks.

Anything, stress, unkown pain, anything can trigger it. I've learned to deal with it but I know it would get worst if I didn;t see a doctor every year for my checkups.

Not yet banded but I have had episodes of palpitations for years... Had the full workup ... all negative....

Hopefully the band won't make them worse... they are really annoying but I did'nt realize any the Pre menstral association until my primary MD mentioned it.... Oh great ...on more joy of being a girl:smile2:

It's Vagus nerve stimulation. The top of the stomach holds a cluster of nerve endings, the Vagus nerve. When you eat a lot, or for me, after an aggressive fill, the increased difficulty and extrusion of food through the band, causes vagus nerve stimulation. Stimulation of the vagus nerve causes all kinds of nasty arrhythmias. Baring down or coughing also stimulates the vagus nerve. After 20 years of being a medic, I've seen more people die on the toilet, than any other method, baring down. I have the same problem with palpitations having never had them prior to surgery. Honestly, with fear of litigation, no physician will ever admit they might have done something that may have caused a heart arrhythmia. Think about every time you have ever been to the doctor, have you ever heard the words, "oops?" There is a reason they call it practicing medicine. Everyone is different, there is no "normal" and no diagnosis will ever fit someone else with the same problem. My solution was to make sure than I drink pretty of Water, and either back the band off a bit, or wait for your body to adjust to the new restriction.

I had my lapband put in in November of 2007. I started out really slow, with adding in foods..... stayed on cream of wheat, Soup etc for a while. Over the course of 2 years I lost 50 lbs. and kept it off for a while, but struggled the entire time, with sometimes throwing up, Hair loss, low Protein numbers on blood work, etc etc. I had gone back to the Dr who put it in and asked him to take it out...he said he didn't think that was a good idea. My husband and kids see me struggle daily with it, and they know in the instant when we are at the table....and all of a sudden I hold up my finger (hang on)...then I leave for the restroom and well...you know. :( I can usually do Soups, nuts, anything crunchy...like crackers. I really think after 6 years of having the band, and now have gained back 40 of the 50lbs lost. It is time to get this out. I have had what feels like palpitations...but tests and Dr's show heart is fine. So, they stuck me on anxiety meds. Not sure what to do now. Has anyone had their band removed and what was the outcome?