Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swallowing Pills - any suggestions

Hi all,

I had my sleeve surgery on 4/13/16. So I'm almost 2 mo. out. Glad to finally make it to eating almost all foods. Here are some things that have caused slight problems. anyone else experience this. Hard to get these to move through stomach:

--swallowing pills (even after cutting in half)

--Fiber foods like cereals (raisin bran, Kashi)

--whole grain oatmeal

--crackers

Any suggestions? Are there some foods that no matter how far out from surgery you decide just to avoid??

Also my weight loss has slowed. What helps most:

exercise

drinking lots of Water

eating less, and only eating Protein and frozen veg

eating NO sweets or Desserts

I try to eat yogurt with fruit when i want something sweet.

Also I have resumed drinking coffee in a.m. but not sure how to do it since you can't eat and drink at same time.

So is it best to have a cup of coffee and wait 1 hr before Breakfast. Or to eat something first thing like an egg cooked,

then wait an hr before having coffee?

thanks in advance,

Hi all,

I had my sleeve surgery on 4/13/16. So I'm almost 2 mo. out. Glad to finally make it to eating almost all foods. Here are some things that have caused slight problems. anyone else experience this. Hard to get these to move through stomach:

--whole grain oatmeal

--crackers

Any suggestions? Are there some foods that no matter how far out from surgery you decide just to avoid??

exercise

drinking lots of Water

Also I have resumed drinking coffee in a.m. but not sure how to do it since you can't eat and drink at same time.

So is it best to have a cup of coffee and wait 1 hr before Breakfast. Or to eat something first thing like an egg cooked,

thanks in advance,

I never had problems swallowing pills so don't really know what to tell you other than to talk to your surgeon.

I am over a year post-op and don't eat cereals, and am only recently eating oatmeal. Frankly, I avoid most starches and when I do eat while grains I can only eat small amounts.

Why do you wait a whole hour between drinking and eating? I was sleeved, and I drink right up until the time I start eating and then usually wait a little while after eating for when I have room to drink. I certainly don't wait an hour. Were you sleeved or did you have a bypass?

--whole grain oatmeal

--crackers

When you say "move through the stomach" what do you mean? Do you throw them up? Do they make you feel sick? How do you know they are "not moving through the stomach"? If you have a serious condition like gastroparesis, you should consult a doctor.

Side note, I never touched cereals of any kind, or crackers, or any other thing with grain until I hit my goal weight. That stuff will not help you lose weight IMO.

exercise

drinking lots of Water

The last two. Exercise is not terribly helpful when it comes to losing weight. As they say, the battle for weight loss is won in the kitchen, not in the gym.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

Focus on eating Protein, green veggies, and healthy fats such as small amounts of nuts, olive oil, grass fed butter, etc. High carb foods like fruit and dairy should be in moderation and IMO stay away from sweets, grains, and high carb veggies such as potatoes.

Be careful about amounts and types of fruit and yogurt -- stick with Greek yogurt without much added sugar and lower carb fruits like berries and peaches (tropical fruits such as bananas and mangoes have tons of carbs and sugars).

My plan doesn't call for waiting an hour before and after food for drinking, only waiting for 30 minutes after food for drinking. I love my coffee too much to wait! If I had to follow your plan, I would drink my coffee first, wait, then eat. But I think whatever works better for you is fine.

Good luck!

I had the sleeve procedure done, not Roux en Y.Our nutritionist set out these guidelines.

Sip Water 1/2 hr before eating a meal. Then after meals wait one hr before drinking.

Perhaps each dr or team has its own rules which they found to be helpful.