Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Bertha's Upcoming Reinvention of Doug

Guest Doug_TakeTwo

Guest Doug_TakeTwo

Hi there!

I am scheduled to have the lap band procedure carried out by Dr. Bertha on 12/7 - and I'm very excited and nervous all at the same time!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prepare your spouse and your children? What are your thoughts on having your children go to the hospital for the daty of the surgery?

Maybe I should be more concerned about myself, but I feel prepared since I have extensively researched the procedure, the surgeons, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Hi Doug!

I just posted to you on the other thread, but I didn't realize you were already scheduled. Wow, that's soon!!

I had a challenge preparing my spouse (my kids are too young to worry about it), but he eventually came around. I'd definitely NOT recommend having your kids at the hospital; though it's only a half-day you still want to concentrate on yourself and not them. How old are they? Unless they're adults and can drive you and act as your support, I don't think having them there does you or them any favors.

Morristown Memorial Hospital is a great place to have this surgery. You'll be home (depending on where you live) by mid-afternoon. :D

Doug, are you sure you will be going home the same day??? I had an overnight stay, and I can definitely say, I would not have wanted any small children around. I was on a morphine drip almost the entire time and was only awake for minutes at a time and I definitely did not want to be disturbed, LOL!

I was freaked out leaving my dh and three little ones at the hotel when we went for the surgery. I was alone (or Eric was in hell with three ages three and under in ahotel in a foreign country) for about 4 hours.

Doctor Ortiz's mom brought DH and the three for a visit at about three in the afternoon. I had already been up and walking. I needed to nurse the smallest one. I took no morphine or other drugs because of this fact. I then retuned to the hotel at about 8 pm that night. So I could be with them. It was so nice and really not that bad.

If I could have had them at the hospita the whole time - I would. Knowing that if there was a problem DH would be there too. I was really worried about that. It however worked out great .

In regards to telling spouse. It wasn't a problem for me- dh and I had been discussing it for months- He was surprised it took me so long to get it done. I think he was really worried at first, but he saw how much research I did and etc, and he realized I was serious. I also made sure he new I had the will done and letters of intent incase there was a problem.

Good Luck!!!

When I told DH I was considering WLS, he was a little freaked until I explained that I had found one that was much safer than by-pass and also reversable. Then I sat him down in front of the computer and pulled up this website and just let him read. After that, he was 100% behind me!

Doug - Congratulations on your date! It will be here and gone before you know it! I spent the night at the hospital, and was happy I did! I think if you just discuss this with your wife, and let her answer any questions she has, everthing will be fine. As for the kids going to the hospital, I think you might want to reconsider that, it would be quite a long time for them. Make sure you take a pillow for the ride home, it really does help. I also took some chap stick as my mouth got very dry. I also took some listerine strips to freshen my mouth and help with some of the thirst. Make sure you do a lot of walking, it helps with the gas pains, and sip as much Water as you can.

Please post and let us know how your surgery went when you feel up to it.

Good Luck!

Guest Doug_TakeTwo

Wow!

Thanks one and all for your insight and support. I appreciate your comments.

Today I met with Linda for the pre-op review meeting. It went well. I jokingly tried to coax one of the doctors into just carrying out the procedure today, but he just grinned and laughed a bit.

Well, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Doug

Hi! I had Dr. Bertha, too!

Definitely do not bring your kids. I was required to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. and had to sit in a waiting room that had no magazines (maybe to minimize spread of germs?) for an hour before getting checked in. It went quickly after that, but it was definitely not something I would have wanted my kids around for (ages 13, 8, and 6). Actually I didn't even have my husband come until 11:30 or so.

Also, after the surgery, they put you in this post-stage recovery room with a lot of other people who are recovering with just curtains between you. I'm not sure how old your children are, but younger children could be disruptive or distracting in this room?

As for preparing your family, I guess every family is different. My husband was not enthusiastic about this. But he went from telling me it's nuts to "Whatever you feel you need to do" after I was put on medication for high blood pressure and diagnosed as borderline diabetic. I told him it was no longer about "appearance" for me but rather a very real concern about my life and longevity.

Then I bombarded him with statistics on death rates for women from heart disease, etc. He has been pretty supportive since I've been home as he sees that it is actually working so far. And it's made me "force" everyone else to eat healthier also. I don't even buy white bread anymore and Cookies are out the window.

As for my kids, I just told them the surgery is relatively easy and I'd be home that night but they'd have to be quiet. And I told them it was very important we all tried to eat healthier, because the bad things you eat can make bad things happen with your body. My six-year-old thought my incisions were "gross." :D My eight-year-old thought it was interesting and had a lot of questions and my thirteen-year-old, who is overweight and recently diagnosed with high cholesterol, is starting to understand the importance of eating better. At Burger King, he no longer orders a burger and fries but gets a chicken whopper with no mayo or cheese and a salad...and he's not complaining about it. (Fries have been his favorite food since he was two.)

Good luck with your surgery! Morristown was pretty good, and there was one nurse there named Manny who was the best. I also thought my anesthesiologist was great. I was feeling well enough to sit up and watch a movie downstairs with my family the next day and my surgery was on Tues. and by the following Monday, I was driving and grocery shopping.

Well, Doug, tomorrow's the big day. I'm certain everything will go well for you. Tell your kids that they can help their mama pick out some yucky liquids for you to drink when you come home! Good luck.

Doug, you must be so excited!! We are all hear rooting for ya! Please give us an update as soon as you can.