Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everybody, Well I attended a seminar here in CT for the Lap Band procedure and it sounds intresting but I still have second thoughts about doing it. Mainly because I am thinking how it would effect me socially when i go to eat out with friends or hang out at the bar and not that im going out to the bar everyday i would say once a week we go after softball to have some drinks. But overall I am just thinking about social life and how does it effect me. If somebody can help me out please. Thanks :)

You'll be able to drink. And you'll be able to eat. You won't be able to PIG OUT....that's the difference.

As long as your 'socializing' doesn't revolve around eating contests, you'll be fine.

I'm such a talker that before banding I often had to race to gulp down my food because everyone else had been eating while I was talking. Now, I'll just pop it in a take home container and eat on it a couple of more meals.

People do it all the time. I remember a manager years ago -- a lovely, trim and elegant lady -- we met for lunch one day at a very nice Mexican resturant and she ordered ONE TACO ala carte. I tho't, "Aha, now we know why she still has her high school figure!"

Wish I'd paid more attention and tried adopting that sort of lifestyle back then.

Oh, well.....I'm gonna master it now. And expect to eat out every bit as much OR MORE than before surgery!

No I cant eat wings and beer at the same time. And sometimes yeah it gets uncomfortable but not unmanageable. Sometimes the going out isnt so attractive when you consider the situation. This wasnt the case for me until my last fill and I may be a little too restricted but Ive adjusted to a new diat again. New adjustment, new diet. Thats how it is when your restriction starts getting correct..

I wouldnt take anything for my band. 60 plus lbs gone forever.

Beer can be tough sometimes and I hate you mentioned it cause it sounds good about now.

You are aware that you can't drink anything for an hour after you eat? If you do it washes the food out of your pouch and then you are hungry again. Besides that, when there is food in your pouch and you try to drink, it often just comes right back up.

Also, chicken is hard for many bandsters to eat....just doesn't want to go thru the stoma from the pouch to the lower stomach.

And how does being fat....or the prospect of getting fatter..... affect your social life?

Im just concerned in general when i go hang out with my friends or go out on a date or whatever that i am very limited on what i can eat or drink is what i am trying to say.

Im just concerned in general when i go hang out with my friends or go out on a date or whatever that i am very limited on what i can eat or drink is what i am trying to say.

Well, beer is carbonated, and that creates a lot of uncomfortable pressure.

chicken wings CAN present a problem for some.

And drinking WITH food is a violation of Band eating guidelines.

So you might have to alter your lifestyle and eating habits, but you must do that anyways for ANY surgery to work.

Its all a matter of what's more important, TIO--the food or the friends...?

If it's the friends, you'll find a way to deal with the inconveniences that will improve over time. If its the food, there's not much point having the surgery anyhow.

Your choice, TIO

Maybe in the very beginning you might find some minor, awkward situaions, but believe me, after a little weight loss, you'll feel like a new person. Besides, people who know you will admire your fortitude and your new lifestyle, together with the weight loss.

I was always a 'recreational eater' and thqt was mostly the cause of my obesity.

Learning to 'sip' rather than guzzle, and enjoying the situation is the key.

Don't worry about the little things.

Once you begin living inside the 'new you' things will be great.

Good Luck

As others have said you can still eat and drink but you adapt. I no longer enjoy carbonated beverages even though my surgeon said I could have them if I wanted. I can still enjoy wine or mixed drinks when I want to.

Its funny that you should mention wings though, that is one of the few things that I cannot tolerate even without the skin. I still enjoy going out to dinner with friends and the only thing that has changed is I get either one small item or I take home food that lasts 2 more meals!

And how does being fat....or the prospect of getting fatter..... affect your social life?

Thanks. I was hoping someone else would make this point because we all know how I do in the diplomacy department! :)