Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Preop Diet Journal

Hi all,

I thought I would start a new thread to talk about the preop diet. Please join me in venting, complaining, whining, bragging, advice, and/or encouraging words etc. I just feel kind of alone tonight.

Well I am on Day 2 of the liquid preop and have done it so far with no cheating but some of it has been kind of tortuous for me. I have 10 more days left and I keep thinking if only I could have a green salad with a 3 ounce chicken breast on it with fat free dressing - would that really hurt me??? I have to choke down the shakes - they are sickening sweet and we are allowed broth which I had for dinner but oh well you know what I am going thru right?!? I did lose three pounds so far - not bad for two days so I know I am doing it right but 10 days seems so far away - and then you have to go thru the surgery and the post op diet. Gee this is going to be harder than I thought - gosh darn it! Thanks for listening to my whining. I am a wonderful person but darn do I whine. I know this is so worth it! Please join me on this new adventure/journey.

Thanks for listening.

Michelle:ranger:

Michelle - I had the same diet (did get some Protein bars for Snacks but everything was sweet) I called my doc and asked if i could have the salad and fish/chick for dinner and they said yes - I only had to do 7 days and 2 of those were pure Clear Liquids which i still had to do..

heck it's worth a try all they can do is tell you no...

Insurance has been approved!!!!! Went to hospital for pre-opt today and was ready to pay. They called insurance and God thank you; it was just approved yesterday!!!!!!!!!!! Now I can get that new carpet!!!!:clap2::):heh::glasses

That is awesome news Claramae - Congratulations! You must be so happy. I am real happy for you! WhooooooooooooooHooooooooooo!!!

shelli:whoo:

Michelle - I had the same diet (did get some Protein bars for Snacks but everything was sweet) I called my doc and asked if i could have the salad and fish/chick for dinner and they said yes - I only had to do 7 days and 2 of those were pure Clear Liquids which i still had to do..

heck it's worth a try all they can do is tell you no...

Good news! I stuck it out for 3 days on full liquids and for some reason it got easier and easier. I did cheat once with 1 banana. I am down 14 pounds and my surgery is on Monday! Thanks for writing to me.:whoo:

Oh I love your user name Indigo is my favorite color.

Thanks,

shelli:ranger:

I just got the call - my surgery isn't until 2:30 on Monday.

That's going to be a rough day with NO food or Water all day.

I just found out that I have to be at the hospital at 9:30 a.m. but that I have to start on Cipro today as they found bacteria in my urine.

But I feel for you with such a late surgery time. You are strong though and you can do it. I'm here for you if you need me.

shelli:girl_hug:

wow - that would be hard for me - I am an emotional eater:hungry:. Way back over 14 years ago I had successfully lost over 121 lbs on my own just doing a healthy diet and exercise - and I remember when my grandfather passed away I allowed my self one sit down of "unlimited" doritos and salsa. That worked for me then when I was single and only responsible for myself. Now that I am a wife and mother I have found it increasingly harder to maintain the mental strength and focus I need to lose the weight I have gained back gradually over the past 10 years. So I am, under my primary physician's advice, seeking out lap-band surgery. I want to make sure I get in with a practice that is well rounded with support because I know that just because I have the surgery it is not going to change mental habits. But, I do know it will help me with the process because I am a self-proclaimed "Ra-Ra Girl" :clap2:and can go far on enthusiasm, which for me comes from progress and encouragement. Anyone from the Houston area have any suggestions for a practice to consider? I need one who also will help with paperwork. I have ADD and have such a hard time completing paperwork for insurance, etc. (it took me several months to do all the paperwork for the adoption of our son from Russia - and it was not due to lack of enthusiasm).

Hang in there Shelli - I will be interested in hearing how your surgery goes. I will keep you in my prayers for your family situation and your surgery.

Barb:rolleyes:

Candle and Sheli---I have to be at hospital at 7 a.m. Monday. My surgery is at 8:50. I will be so happy to get this over and on to the next stage. I never thought I would be looking forward to cream of wheat!!!

Yesterday they decided at the last minute that I must have a stress test!!!! Because of my hip surgery, I could not do the thread mill, so they did the nuclear test. I was there for 4 hours. Finally at 3:15, I threw a fit, waiting for the dr. to talk to me. I told them that if they did not get me out of here, I was walking out. I had not even had a Protein shake. Plus, I had a headache from hell. Dr. finally came in and of course my heart was fine, as I knew it was. I bawled all the way home from lack of even a Protein Drink. God, I was so mad at that dr. office. Oh, well.

I will be thinking of you two Monday. We will have to Celebrate every August 27th, as our second birthdays!!! Talk later.

Bacteria in your urine ... what does that mean?!

Candle, I'm not sure but the nurse said it wasn't for sure that it was a urinary tract infection but she said maybe the sample got contaminated or something else which I didn't understand but she said they want me to be on an antibiotic pronto. He only gave me 6 pills as they will give me more antibiotics on Monday before the surgery. The only symptoms I have is lower back pain and tiredness but geez on this crazy diet who wouldn't be tired. hehe:hungry: I had a good cry this afternoon are you getting emotional yet? It has just been the week from hell around here. I need a hug.;)

How are you doing?

Take care,

shelli

wow - that would be hard for me - I am an emotional eater:hungry:. Way back over 14 years ago I had successfully lost over 121 lbs on my own just doing a healthy diet and exercise - and I remember when my grandfather passed away I allowed my self one sit down of "unlimited" doritos and salsa. That worked for me then when I was single and only responsible for myself. Now that I am a wife and mother I have found it increasingly harder to maintain the mental strength and focus I need to lose the weight I have gained back gradually over the past 10 years. So I am, under my primary physician's advice, seeking out lap-band surgery. I want to make sure I get in with a practice that is well rounded with support because I know that just because I have the surgery it is not going to change mental habits. But, I do know it will help me with the process because I am a self-proclaimed "Ra-Ra Girl" :clap2:and can go far on enthusiasm, which for me comes from progress and encouragement. Anyone from the Houston area have any suggestions for a practice to consider? I need one who also will help with paperwork. I have ADD and have such a hard time completing paperwork for insurance, etc. (it took me several months to do all the paperwork for the adoption of our son from Russia - and it was not due to lack of enthusiasm).

Hang in there Shelli - I will be interested in hearing how your surgery goes. I will keep you in my prayers for your family situation and your surgery.

Barb:rolleyes:

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts - I really needed to hear that tonight. I got kind of emotional today and having people who are supportful is awesome. I will be bandland on Monday and let you know how it went.

Thanks,

shelli:ranger:;)

Candle and Sheli---I have to be at hospital at 7 a.m. Monday. My surgery is at 8:50. I will be so happy to get this over and on to the next stage. I never thought I would be looking forward to cream of wheat!!!

Yesterday they decided at the last minute that I must have a stress test!!!! Because of my hip surgery, I could not do the thread mill, so they did the nuclear test. I was there for 4 hours. Finally at 3:15, I threw a fit, waiting for the dr. to talk to me. I told them that if they did not get me out of here, I was walking out. I had not even had a Protein shake. Plus, I had a headache from hell. Dr. finally came in and of course my heart was fine, as I knew it was. I bawled all the way home from lack of even a Protein Drink. God, I was so mad at that dr. office. Oh, well.

I will be thinking of you two Monday. We will have to Celebrate every August 27th, as our second birthdays!!! Talk later.

I was sorry to hear that you had to go thru that awful nuclear stress test but I am happy to hear that your okay. Sounds like you had a meltdown like me today. Maybe its the way it is. When I went to the pharmacy to pick up my Cipro they said the doctor never called it in - I got so upset I was already to call the oncall bariatric surgeon but then they called and said it was called in to the wrong pharmacy. WTF - why does this have to be the week from "hell".

Hang in there - we only have 2 more days until bandland. God Bless Us All.:rain:

shelli:girl_hug:

Yesterday they decided at the last minute that I must have a stress test!!!! Because of my hip surgery, I could not do the thread mill, so they did the nuclear test. I was there for 4 hours. Finally at 3:15, I threw a fit, waiting for the dr. to talk to me. I told them that if they did not get me out of here, I was walking out. I had not even had a Protein shake. Plus, I had a headache from hell. Dr. finally came in and of course my heart was fine, as I knew it was. I bawled all the way home from lack of even a Protein drink. God, I was so mad at that dr. office. Oh, well.

Ugh! I had to do the stress test for cardiac clearance. They injected me with that stuff instead of walking on the treadmill too. (I'm not really sure why)

It sucked! Like you, it took forever! I went in at noon and didn't leave until 5:00pm - with nothing to eat all day! That stuff aka posion, they injected made my heart race, I felt really light headed and got a horrible headache. I went home and sleep for like 5 hours. I woke up at about 1am and was up for the whole night - lol!!!

I had a good cry this afternoon are you getting emotional yet? It has just been the week from hell around here. I need a hug.:huggie:

Yes - very emotional! :heh:

The doctor's office left a message on my answering machine on Wed (even though they have it in their file to always call me on my cell!) I never get those home messages because that's pretty much just my boyfriend's phone and I always use my cell. I got the message late that night and freaked out all night that there was something wrong with my PST. I cried and yelled at my bf for not checking the messages earlier *blush* - I have no idea how he's been putting up with me. He's really one of a kind!

I'm freaking out a little right now too. My mouth has been feeling real chalky and my throat has been feeling weird. It doesn't hurt but it feels like something is stuck - especially when I lay down. And now I think it's getting irritated because I keep coughing to try and "scratch" it. My sister is a nurse and said it sounded like I had thrush. I went to my PCP on Fri just to make sure everything was ok and she said it looked fine. No swelling, discoloration, and no fever. Additionally, I feel fine.

Maybe I'm having a reaction to all the milk (I never drink milk) and or the whey Protein? I dunno .... I'm just really uncomfortable and worried about having throat issues right now. This is the last thing I want right before this type of surgery ...

I'm not drinking any milk or Protein shakes today - and tomorrow is Clear liquids anyway. We'll see how it feels on Monday.

Only 2 more sleeps …:whoo:

My husband is frickin' driving me crazy today. For some strange reason he wants everything in the house and yard to be perfect before I go into surgery. I told him this morning that I fell like S#%& but he keeps pushing and pushing me to keep moving. We moved furniture in all the rooms, took books off the cases and dusted, mopped the floors and have done about 10 loads of laundry. My throat is scratchy, my back is aching, and all I want to do is lay down and take a nap. I had to stop taking my NSAID today so I think that is why I feel like crap plus they started me on Cipro. I have really dark circles under my eyes - maybe I am developing an allergy to all these milk products too.

Gee I felt better when I was pigging out all day long. Physically of course but not mentally.

Thanks for letting me Rant and Rave. Honestly, I usually am not such a whiner and I rarely use bad language - -----------------------------

shelli:help:

I would like to compare notes on your "Clear liquid Diet" for tomorrow. I just wondered if you could list the foods you are permitted to eat. Can you believe Day 11 is almost over? I didn't lose any weight today - my total is still just 14 pounds.

Thanks,:ranger:

shelli