Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have port problems??

Long story but I figured the background info would help. I was told that my port is tilted and it makes getting fills a very long and trying experience because they have problems getting the needle into the port hole even with fluoro. My first two fills had to be under fluoro. She tried to do the second in the office (5/23) but no luck. So they take me downstairs, take x-rays get second opinions from other surgeon's because they thought that my port had totally flipped over. I was told conflicting stories. Sometimes that just happens and as you lose weight, there is more room in your abdomen for it to move around because of the less fat in there. Then I was told that as you lose weight, it should get better. So now I am confused. If I lose weight, in theory, there will be even more room in my abdomen for it to move around so how can it get better? So I'm thinking will have this problem forever??? I was told that my port is tilted at an odd angle and that it floats (not far but moves enogh to make things difficult).

The nurse practitioner told me that she and new doc reviewed my case and they might have to reposition my port higher. The doc that did my surgery in January has since moved out of state and the other doc in the office took over her patients. I was told that to reposition it is a simple out patient procedure where they go in through the previous port incision. I am for it if it will help. I get so frustrated and nervous during fills and I don't want this to continue. I have to have fills.

At any rate, things seem to be changing. I went for follow up appt on Monday 8/13. I have lost 9 pounds in six weeks. She asked me if I wanted to try to see if she could give me a fill and I said to go ahead and try. That would save me from having to schedule downstairs to do under fluoro and therefore require me to use more leave from work. I am used to being poked. I figure if I could survive two breast biopsies, i could withstand the pokes. It's just so aggravating and disappointing when she can't do it in the office and I always feel like the problem child and failure. Plus, I want to be able to get them done in the offiice because it is cheaper. To make a long story short, she tried on Monday and after three sticks, she got it!!! So I finally was able to get a fill in the office without fluoro and not have 15 sticks to get it. She only put in .5cc which now gives me 2.5cc. Hopefully my good luck will continue and I can have future fills in the office too. I say all of this to ask, do any of you have port issues that make fills difficult?

My port was tilted and they could not access it the last time I went in for a fill. I had a mediport revision last week and they say it should stay in tact this time.

My port is tilted toward my feet and it was horriable for them to do the fill it took him over 30 min to finally find the spot where the neddle could go in

I was so light headed and needles never bother me

Hopefully the next fill in Sept will go better

Good luck

I wanted to share something with you guys .... I was banded on Oct 1st so tomorrow marks a month. I have been having problems with my port cite incision. It looks healed and then looks very angry the next day. After showering it oozes a little... it's placed right at belly button height so my pants seem to rub against it. I wasn't too worried since it wasn't hot and I wasn't running a fever... low and behold... TODAY it looked really angry so I decided to take a digital photo (or two) and email them to my doc. I didn't want to be one of those chics that keeps calling the office ever 5 secs saying "is this normal"??? and bothering the busy office with petty problems.

I had also been on here, and asked fellow bandsters about port problems and was encouraged to get it checked out.

So, I get an immediate phone call back from the NP in my surgeon's office. It turns out that the port is too superficial since I've lost 19.5 lbs this month. And it's kinda wanting to bust through and not letting my incision heal... I'm no booked for emergency surgery tomorrow to be "re-ported" does that make me a "reporter"??? LOL I was also started on antibiotics today as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to share just in case anyone else was going through something that they didn't want to make a "big fuss" over. I'm sure it would have been the same outcome even if I had spoke up earlier, but sometimes you never know.

Thanks for everyone who pushed me to not be such a slacker and get it checked out. I honestly thought it would get better soon... but my soon never came.

I have had 2 fills and they had to poke me 5 times the first time and 3 times the 2nd time.

Thanks for the Novicane (yeah I know that isn't right but whatever they use to deaden the spot) but still don't like it!The port doesn't seem like it is tilted or anything at least no one has told me that. MAYBE the 3rd time will be a charm!!