Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOW BMI BANDING: Am i crazy?

Hey everyone,

I am a 25 year old male from New York. I weigh, as of today, 228 pounds and have a BMI of 33. Two months ago I went for several lap-band consultations, at which time my BMI was a 36 (weight was 246 I believe). I since gave Optifast a 5th try, and went down to 220, and then up to the weight I am at now. During all this I went through the hoops to get Lap-band approved. I wasn’t even 100% sure – I figured if they say no then theres nothing to think about, and if they say yes I can decide from there. I even considered going to one of two places in the U.S. that do it highly discounted for non-insured procedures. Well, in addition to the acid reflux disease and stuff, I just found out I have obstructive sleep apnea. On that basis, my insurance just approved it, and I am scheduled for surgery THIS TUESDAY 8/21/07. Naturally, I am a little scared, but yet I feel highly inclined to want to proceed with getting it. I have been overweight since I was 7. I have gain and lost the same 70 pounds several times now. My senior year of high school I was able to get down to 170 briefly, but then it gradually went back up – eventually hitting the 200s. Then I was able to get back to the 180s, followed by going up into the 220s and then hitting a high of 249. I have done every diet in the book, both commercial and medical weight loss programs, and been on every prescription – Meridia, Phentermine, Adderall, Bontril SR, Xenical, etc. Even if I can manage to get the weight off, I just don’t want a lifetime of yo-yoing back and fourth. My problem has always been I take my anxiety/stress out on food. I was never into alcohol or drugs, and never smoked, so food was my drug. Having said that, I don’t like to vomit or feel sick and I would NOT eat to the point of making myself like that – which makes me believe lap-band would fore me to get down to a normal weight and, more importantly, stay there. I also have a hiatul hernia – I asked the doctor to fix this while im under (since I live on Nexium for GERD), but he said he will not be able to tell till the day of the operation. If its bad, he said he will repair it. But he said mine is not that big (5cm) and that the lap-band alone may be sufficient in stopping the stomach from going up my chest. He said he would not be able to make that decision till he is in the O.R. though, but that he assures me he will do whats best for the implantation of the lap-band the safety of such.

Naturally, I am scared. It doesn’t help that the site states “You should know death is one of these risks, it can happen anytime during the surgery or immediately following the procedure.” Even if I focus on the more common problems, the idea of nausea and band slippage or a tear in the stomach all sound scary. Plus I will be in law school in one year and can not imagine what I would do if I got an infection or became very sick (people get ulcers in these programs as it is, let alone having extra stomach problems). Then the issue of not being able to eat certain foods scares me – I love steak, Chinese food, etc. And is it true most people can’t tolerate breads or Pasta? ??

As much as the health benefits sound great, I am not going to lie – I am interested in the procedure mostly for cosmetic reasons. I just simply want to end the cycle and feel good about my body once and for all. I gay a lot of criticism from many people that I am not overweight enough – the “YOU’RE getting lap-band?” I admit it seems a little extreme, especially risk to reward in terms of complications. Then some tell me I should wait till I’m 30 and see if I still want it, that’s definitely not what I want to do though – frankly I’m sorry I did not get it five years ago when I was 20. I can only imagine how much difference my high school or college experience would have been… The clubs and all were very into looks – tight clothes, very in shape, etc. I have never in my life been able to shop at Abercrombie, for example. My weight is the only thing I hate about my appearance and I would just love to feel 100% confident for once. Plus I will never be able to convince my insurance to swing this again – especially as I lose weight.

I just feel like at least this would give me the major tool to commit to keeping the weight off once and for all. I do know in the back of my head I could probably lose it on my own – maybe. But everyone who I know says they lost it on their own once is currently overweight, meaning they gained the weight back – it just seems like they inevitably gain it back, that is, how many people truly keep it off on their own without the help of something like this? The other thing that scares me is I know certain medicines interact, like anti-inflam’s. What about A.D.D. medicines – will I be able to take Adderall (amphetamines) or Ritalin while in law school or does it cause problems with lap-band? Anyone have experience with this? (And does anyone have a link for the diet that should be followed after surgery?)

Just in case I started an all liquid diet today to prep for the surgery and had my pre-op testing done today. So, if the world does not think its crazy to base this on cosmetic reasons, I guess I am good to go… I am basically writing to see what people think or would do in my situation. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hi Paul, I understand where you are coming from. food is my drug of choice! Your perspective sounds so similar to mine.

My BMI is 34.7, and my surgery is scheduled for August 22nd.

I too am very nervous. People think that I shouldn't need the surgery as I'm not morbidly obese - but I'm now 35yrs old and have been on this yo-yo for so long that I've had enough. If I don't do it now, I know I'll end up morbidly obese and have a whole lot of other health issues to deal with.

I had my pre op appointment today and my surgeon was very supportive and put the risks into perspective. They are very low. You just have to be committed and have continued follow up. (They offer a 12 month initial support program).

I'm going ahead although apprehensive - I think this is normal as it's a big decision.

I don't know much about the medication side of things so hopefully someone on the forum can offer some assistance.

Ultimately I want to do it for the long term health benefits, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't for cosmetic reasons also. I mean, everyone wants too look nice, be appreciated and feel confident. I know I don't want to be miserable any longer!!

Good luck with your decision!

Welcome to you both. My bandster buddy and I were both done a year ago. She had a low BMI and has transformed her life this past year. She has been at her goal weight for a couple months now and it getting fitter all the time. She says that it is the best money she ever spent.

So all the best in your choices. Getting banded just may be a new lease on life for you.