Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just started this process

HI all, I thought I would come in and introduce myself.

I just started the first steps toward getting sleeved today. Several years ago I was pretty active on here in the lap-band forum, because that was what I decided I wanted. When I went to my first meeting with the surgeon, he tried to talk me out of the band and insisted that I should do bypass or RNY instead (I was about 380 pounds at the time) but I had my heart set on the band. A few months into the process, several of my friends on the band forum passed away suddenly from erosion-based complications. I had already lost some weight and decided that maybe I should just try to do this on my own. And to some extent, I was successful. I lost 120 pounds on my own. But now I have gained half of that back, and I have decided that I am really tired of trying on my own and failing.

I went in to see my primary care physician today and told him that I was interested in pursuing WLS again. His reaction was that he would help me through the process, but that he was hesitant because I had "proved that I could do it" on my own. I responded by reminding him that even when I was "successful", I had only gotten down to the 260s, which is far from a healthy weight. I told him that I had at least 9 months of physician supervised diet required by my insurance, and that if I did somehow manage to lose the weight on my own during that time, I would not have the surgery. I also reminded him that even though I am "healthy" (read: no co-morbidities yet) at 330 pounds, that I have a family history of heart disease, and that hauling around this much weight is a huge strain on my heart. He agreed to help me through this process.

Anyway, it is nice to meet you all! Like I said, my insurance requires 9 months of physician supervised diet, so I will be here for a while. :)

Welcome to the party!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Dang 9 months, I guess I was lucky but I also researched the insurances before I chose one- my job has lots to choose from. I went with blue cross blue shield and I only had to have 3 months, but I had to have a bunch of stuff from my medical records and cardiology cause im older

You won't think so now but it will fly by. I was in the same spot for 6 months and I am having surgery tomorrow!

You'll learn some great stuff about the sleeve and yourself in these 9 months. And just think how much healthier you'll be for surgery.

Good luck. You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone