Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former bander, back 2 years later trying to get sleeve

Hello!

Bit of background - as my title says, I'm a former bander. Had it in on 8/21/12, had it removed 5/21/14 due to intolerance. I went from 233 down to 207 at my lowest in the first year, had an aggressive fill and it all went downhill from there. I couldn't keep any food down even with the band empty, wasn't losing weight, and it was awful. Ultimately, doc and I made the decision to remove the band. I've had better eating habits since then and exercise more often, but here I am 2 years later - gained all of my weight back and a bit more. I'm at 237 right now. Endocrinologist has diagnosed me with PCOS and Fatty liver. She wants me to go on Saxenda, which isn't covered by my insurance since I'm not diabetic yet, and is cost prohibitive to pay out of pocket. She says if I can't lose weight on my own, it's either that or surgery. My hepatologist says that my fatty liver is pretty severe, and with a family history of fatty livers needing transplants, he's been heavily pushing surgery.

I'm interested in the sleeve vs the bypass. I've heard plenty of bypass horror stories, and I have two close friends who have been sleeved and have had amazing results. My husband was totally against it at first - he thought the "sleeve" was some sort of contraption like the band, and he didn't want to see me go through that experience again. Now that we've cleared up what the sleeve actually is, he's all for it.

I have a consultation with my surgeon on June 9th to discuss my current situation. I was only authorized for the consultation visit, so I want to make sure that it counts. I plan on taking print outs of chart notes that have my comorbidities, a list of all of the diets and exercise programs I've attempted, and anything else that I can think of that will give the doc the info that is needed to get me approved. I work for the company that provides my health insurance, so I have a pretty good handle on my benefits. Surgery is covered if authorized, but I've had conflicting information on whether or not I have to start the process over completely with the psych eval, physical, nutritional counseling etc or if it can be approved without those. Either way, I'll be happy with an approval. I'm really anxious for the 9th to get here so I can have the appointment!

Does anyone have any advice on what I can take with me to the consultation that might up my chances? I fall in the BMI below 40, and have hyperlipidemia and sleep apnea which are on the comorbidities list.

@@duckydoom I had the band in july 2004 and finally had it removed dec 2015. I was able to lose over 125 pounds and then gained about 25 back. I still have 100 left to lose and had the sleeve last Wed. 5-25. Lots of scar tissue and liver was pretty much stuck to stomach due to numerous abdominal surgeries. Great drs managed to clear up the scar tissue, adhesions and get me sleeved. I'm looking forward to more success and less drama than I had with the band.

Good luck on the 9th!

@@WantToBe thank you for sharing! How has recovery been compared to having the band put in, if you don't mind sharing?

Weeelll ...

... when you weigh in at the bariatric surgeon's office, you could stick some half-pound weights in your bra, pockets, shoes, underwear to make sure your BMI is at least 35. And if you want to go whole-hog you could wear weight belts layered under your clothes.

(Just sayin!)

I was covered by Medicare at 39 BMI (without any weight belts ;) ) with 3 comorbidities at age 68.

What YOUR insurance company will cover depends solely on your insurance company's guidelines and the terms of YOUR insurance policy.

Good luck.

P.S. I'm 5'5", started at 235 pounds, have lost 100 pounds, and now weigh 100 pounds. The sleeve was my first WLS. I didn't have fatty liver issues.

@duckydoom Yikes - the band was12 years ago! From what I remember the band was pretty simple. I was outpatient with the band and back at work in just a few days - in fact it was either the band of the gallbladder out on a Friday and back at work on Monday. The sleeve involved a mandatory night in the hospital so the fluoroscopy could be done the next morning to check for leaks. Unfortunately, I had severe nausea and nothing seemed to help. I couldn't even drink Water. I struggled that second day and finally was able to hold down a sip of Water and surgeon released me. I got home and healing was much better. I live alone and didn't have any problems and was up and doing chores the next morning. All in all it was a good experience just the problem with nausea bothered me but nausea left me by end of day three.

I'm thinking if you could have all these doctors who are treating you put something in writing regarding your medical issues and how they think surgeon will be the best option to resolve them... Or you could shrink a bit plus put weights.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Edited by nyteacher125

Hey duckydoom! I'm a former bandster. I had it for 6 years, went from 197 to 162. (I'm 5 foot on a good day FYI :) ) My band broke and I had a regain (also had full knee replacement and foot surgery that had me scooter bound for 3 months- boo!!!!)

My surgeon discovered my broken band while trying to do a fill. I freaked out and he told me not to worry, he would remove band and create a sleeve. He did less than 2 months later. I was a self pay for my band in the Dominican Republic but insurance (blue cross) covered removal/sleeve.

I had an extensive amount of scar tissue from the band and was a little tender after surgery but recovery was very quick and easy. It's been almost 6 weeks and I feel great. I'm losing at a slower pace than some but the good people here on this website say not to compare yourself to others. They also say hide your scale when you encounter a stall and concentrate on fluids and Protein. I was 177 on surgery day, last time I weighed myself I was 159. I feel like I did when I played rugby in college. Full of energy and loving life. The good news is I'm all grown up now (sigh) and not partying like I was then. ;) ;)

Overall I am thrilled with my surgery and feel very lucky to have this website to turn to for help and support. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I would love to help someone as much as I've been helped here. :)

Good luck with your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by jaxmom

@@VSGAnn2014 I know that my company follows Medicare guidelines when it comes to my particular plan, and they need "just" the two comorbidities. Surprisingly Fatty liver isn't a comorbidity - that kind of blew my mind.

I should be fine on BMI, according to the last doctor's visit I'm at 241 lbs which has me at 38.9 BMI at 5'6". I've been relatively low carb for awhile, I'm considering putting them back on the menu prior to the consult and that should shoot me up with Water weight. :lol: Only 7 lbs more and I'm at a 40 BMI so it's definitely doable with Water weight. I also have lymphedema in my left leg and it can really vary.

@@jaxmom I'm so glad they covered the removal and revision! My coverage won't take care of any complications related to services that were not authorized by them, which is why I haven't considered heading to Mexico to have it done, though that is in the realm of possibility if I can't get it approved. This site has definitely been an awesome resource - it was for me when I was first banded, and it's turning into a great help again.

Take an inch off your height, bam your qualified

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I'm always getting scolded for slouching hehe