Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!! Where do I begin this process??

I am interested in getting the lapband and have been reading some posts here. I just don't know where to begin to go about getting it done. We currently are on Cobra for health Insurance and my spouse said to check into it before we lose coverage. We actually have BCBS of MI.

I am about 100lbs overweight and need to do something. I have three kids I love with all of my heart and I'm getting scared that something is going to happen to me and I won't be around for them.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to go about starting the process?? (I haven't seen my PCP in about 2+yrs).

Thanks!!

Tami

Welcome to LBT. When I got ready for this I went to see my PCP, and she recommended a surgeon here in Houston. Then I called his office and they sent me to a seminar. From there they will let you know what to do. Every doctor does it a different way. Right now I am doing my 6 month pre-op diet (required by the insurance) and then I will get my band. I am sooooo..... ready. Good luck to you and I hope this helps.

The first thing I did was go to the LapBand website LAP-BAND® - Home

That is were I started. Just register and look around on there. There is a place to put your zip and it will tell you Dr and seminar in your area. Next I call my insurance company, to make sure that covered. She gave me a brief discription of what I would need. She is the one who told me to call my PCP. The Dr. I will be seeing has a webpage so I got alot of info from there too. I went to see my PCP and then went to the seminar. I just go my questioner from my sergion today. I guest that is differnt for each sergion, because I heard on here some had to fill out a questioner before the seminar, I didn't. Also at the seminar is were I got the info for the dieticain and theripst. But my pcp dr has me on a deit. So the dieticain is just to help prepare me for life with the band. Just take it one day at a time. Before you know it you are well on your way. Two weeks ago I had 101 question, even after I went to see my pcp. The big helper for me was the seminar. Check out that website! Good Luck

I have BCBS of Mi thru Teamsters and it is covered. I was told that BCBS of Mi will cover it but most coverage requires a six months of a controled diet. (weight watchers,etc.) What part of Mi are you from? I went to a seminar at Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti.

Tami, good luck on your venture. I have BCBS Arkansas. They pay 50% of the contracted amount. Find a doctor that has a seminar close to you. Look in the forum of your state on here. You may find something close to you. That may not necessarily be the doctor of your choice. Do your homework on doctors. Check around the MI site and see what those that have had surgery recomend. Some insurances like mine didn't have to have a waiting period. My pcp wrote a letter with information I provided him. Numerous diets and diet programs, any ailments like high blood pressure, back pain, knee pain, or unable do do some every day task because weight hindered me. Some insurances will flat out deny you and you can appeal it and then it may be approved. I have seen examples of that on this site. Go to a seminar and get a good understanding of what banding is all about. Make sure that is what you want and then go for it. Many will help you with financing ect. Hope it all works out for you Let us know.