Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I am totally in a state of flux as to whether to have the band surgery or not. I am a self pay who has to pay in 24 hours to go ahead for the scheduled surgery! I have not actually talked to anyone about their experiences with the band but have read lots of conversations. My concerns: are you able to have a normal life? can you sit down to dinner with your family? can you eat out with friends? Are you constantly thinking about food and how/what to eat? Then I am not so impressed with the statistics on weight loss (52% people maintain 33 % excess weight loss at 3 years ). Do many people with the band reach their goal?????

Hi,

This is where I am struggling too. I keep reading these fantastic posts and then I decide I want to do it but when I think real hard about it I think, ok I am going to have to still change my habits no matter what. So I sit and think, well if im going to have to change my habits then why can't I change them now and do this on my own w/o surgery. I just think is it a mind over matter deal and honestly I know it is. I am on the fence post also. I am leaning to banding for the extra help, but I will miss that big prime rib steak I love so much ..I love to party and I party a lot with my friends and family -- I know I can still enjoy the relationships but I also need to tell myself that food does not run my social life. A friend once told me -- Eat to live, not live to eat. I THINK IF YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND AND STICK WITH IT AT 100 % NO MATTER YOUR CHOICE YOU CAN BE SUCCESFULL -- (obviously I still need to make up my mind) good luck --

There are several polls on here about how much they've lost, how fast and I know 8 people who are close friends that have been at goal and still loose. I know there are probably people that may gain but I don't know any plus if they were gaining they would just need a fill.

I've been banded 12 months. Had lost 60 in the first 6 months. Then got too tight and slowed down my losing but it's perfect now and still losing 1-2 pounds per week which is plenty fast for me because after losing 80 pounds and I'm older, 43, I don't have any loose skin. I would have it done it a heartbeat. I too was self pay and went to Mexico and it couldn't have went better. I go to Dr. Curry for fills and he is the best. I would sure think twice about backing out, I wished I had of had mine done years ago. Not only did I loose 80 this first year but if not banded I would have gained at least 20 or more and so I'm 100 pounds to the good.

I went out to eat last my with my entire family at Ryan's which is a huge buffet. I tasted of a little of everything I wanted and was done. Eat maybe one cup after everything was said and done and had a wonderful time. I never focus on food and eating I just eat to live.

Good luck and you will do wonderful.

With the band, you must be willing to do some work. You won't be able to drink with your meals, for example. But you will be able to eat normally with your family and friends, what's going to change it's the size of your portions. Instead of huge plate after plate, you will enjoy between 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food.

For me, I can say it has been totally worth it so far. I am a little more than a month out since pre-op diet and down 29 lbs., no feeling of starvation. Could I have done this without the band? I think not! Best thing I have ever done do far.

Hi Fence sitter, Have you thought of a simple PRO's vs CON's list? Change vs No change. I've had to face facts: All my losses have made a bigger me. I believe I need a physical device implanted, to help me get a grip on my focus on food. I'm in the medical field and know the things one could do. But I can't... I need the 'WHOA' to be out of my control.... out of my ability to override common sense. I band Oct 1st and am telling myself now that it's just the CHOICE OF THE AMOUNT is all I'm really giving up. Dylan

Hi everyone. I am totally in a state of flux as to whether to have the band surgery or not. I am a self pay who has to pay in 24 hours to go ahead for the scheduled surgery! I have not actually talked to anyone about their experiences with the band but have read lots of conversations. My concerns: are you able to have a normal life? can you sit down to dinner with your family? can you eat out with friends? Are you constantly thinking about food and how/what to eat? Then I am not so impressed with the statistics on weight loss (52% people maintain 33 % excess weight loss at 3 years ). Do many people with the band reach their goal?????

emcTN and to all on the fence

The 1st few weeks you are limited as to what you can eat (according to your doctors orders & everyone’s is different) But once you are healed you can eat any food your band will tolerate (again diff for everyone) the band is a tool to control your portion size only - you absorb all your calories (unlike bypass) - your weight loss will depend on "YOUR CHOICES" if you eat ice cream, candy, high fat foods and tons of carbs and no exercise NO you aren't going to lose weight or kept it off for that matter - the band IS NOT the magic pill to take away your hunger - food issue etc - The band requires "WORK" good food choices (as you are eating less you need to get in all your Protein 60 minimum for women) you will have to take Vitamins - exercise. the band may do 25% of the work but the other 75% is up to you (imho)

Bad food choices - portions and lack of exercise got you where you are at now. You don't like the statistics ??? Can you tell me of ANY DIET OR WLS that give 100% guarantee??? Nope - even with bypass they can and do gain it back - YES there are TONS on this board who have got to goal and have kept it off. You need to make sure this is the correct choice for you and that your expectations are in line with what the outcome will/or could be. This is your journey and only you can make those decisions. Look around this board - there is a thread 100 + lbs loss or at goal something like that

Would I do it again Yes - It's the tool that I need to help me in my Quest for a healthier life.

My best to all of you on the Fencers.... May you make the best choice for you...

Please note: I have not yet been banded. However, it seems these questions have been asked and answered on this forum, and it is therein I have gleaned my responses.

are you able to have a normal life? Normal is only one hat we all wear depending upon circumstances. Enjoy life more than being fat? Yes. Have a life, in general? Yes. Weight loss = better health. Better health = longer life. In general. Statistically speaking.

can you sit down to dinner with your family? What? After a lapband surgery you have no chairs in your house any longer? You can do everything with your family you did before. Only better.

can you eat out with friends? From attacking and chewing on cattle in the fields to dining at a five-star joint, yes. Having a lapband does not prevent you from enjoying the company of friends, ordering food away from home or eating in general.

Are you constantly thinking about food and how/what to eat? Probably. If you don't use the tool you just put inside you by thinking ahead, planning and learning the tricks, you will puke. Hopefully not in front of the friends, as noted above.

24 hours away, huh? Have you ever dieted before? Without the tool of the band will you be heading down the diet path again?

Please share your decision!

Darr

Please note: I have not yet been banded. However, it seems these questions have been asked and answered on this forum, and it is therein I have gleaned my responses.

are you able to have a normal life? Normal is only one hat we all wear depending upon circumstances. Enjoy life more than being fat? Yes. Have a life, in general? Yes. Weight loss = better health. Better health = longer life. In general. Statistically speaking.

can you sit down to dinner with your family? What? After a lapband surgery you have no chairs in your house any longer? You can do everything with your family you did before. Only better.

can you eat out with friends? From attacking and chewing on cattle in the fields to dining at a five-star joint, yes. Having a lapband does not prevent you from enjoying the company of friends, ordering food away from home or eating in general.

Are you constantly thinking about food and how/what to eat? Probably. If you don't use the tool you just put inside you by thinking ahead, planning and learning the tricks, you will puke. Hopefully not in front of the friends, as noted above.

24 hours away, huh? Have you ever dieted before? Without the tool of the band will you be heading down the diet path again?

Please share your decision!

Darr

Darr

LOL:D - No wonder you are a writer - well said for a pre-bander:clap2:

well said for a pre-bander

Thanks. Do I get to have one panic after post-banding? It seems to me that the decision to band is a sound one por moi. I am a professional dieter. I'd like stop that foolishness and work in concert with my band to a healthier, sexier (then again, I am pretty sexy now according to my husband), able-to-fit-my-butt-in-airline-seats Darragha.

Thanks. Do I get to have one panic after post-banding? It seems to me that the decision to band is a sound one por moi. I am a professional dieter. I'd like stop that foolishness and work in concert with my band to a healthier, sexier (then again, I am pretty sexy now according to my husband), able-to-fit-my-butt-in-airline-seats Darragha.

Yes you get a panic post - this morning (my weigh in day) i got on the scales 3 time - 3 time different readings. I have been working my butt off on exercising and keeping my caloires around 1100 - to me i should be losing 5 lbs in a week not 2. But again - I have un-realistic ideas/ expectations (even if i know better and give advise as such) as I think alot here do - I have some restriction but night time is a killer for me, but i will not give up - this band is NOT the fixall and age and metabolisim all come in to play - My mantra - I will put one foot in front of the other and work and not give up no matter what the scales say.

I am going to change to weighing every 2 weeks - that is if I can stick to it:) My best to you on this new phase of your life...:)

I think your doing great. My surgeon says 2 pounds a week is where we should be. Anymore than that if you have the saggy skin issue. I did loose faster in the beginning. I lost 60 pounds the first 5 months but now just 1-2 pounds per week and I'll take that anyday over gaining like I use to. Just breath and don't be so hard on yourself, your doing wonderful.

Hugs,

Sherri Jo

I think your doing great. My surgeon says 2 pounds a week is where we should be. Anymore than that if you have the saggy skin issue. I did loose faster in the beginning. I lost 60 pounds the first 5 months but now just 1-2 pounds per week and I'll take that anyday over gaining like I use to. Just breath and don't be so hard on yourself, your doing wonderful.

Hugs,

Sherri Jo

Thanks Sherri Jo - Like i said my head knows one thing but my heart another... At my age I already have the saggy skin issue- but i will take that over the fat any day - and in a couple of yrs who knows maybe a Tummy Tuck. Thanks for the encouragement !!!! I truely appreicate it...:):girl_hug:

Janet