Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am interested in weight loss surgery specifically gastric bypass. I know i have enough weight to lose and a slew of medical conditions. I a.m. just not sure where to start? Do i just see my pcp and tell him im interested in weight loss surgery and at least start the conversation?? I've been on Every diet in the book, I'm active always have been. I just can't seem to lose significant weight. My one concern is that i had diverticulitis a couple of years ago and had to have a bowel resection. I am nervous this will be a barrier to having any kind of weight loss surgery. Otherwise i guess I'm just wondering do u just start the conversation with ur pcp and see where it goes?

All this insurance stuff makes me nervous as well...

Any feedback would be helpful.

First, I brought it up with my PCP.

I went to a weightloss seminar at the place that id like to have my surgery.

I ended up having to switch my insurance because my original one did not cover it.

I then scheduled a meeting with the surgeon and met my caseworker! Now I am about 2 months into my 6 month preop supervised diet!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

First, I brought it up with my PCP.

I went to a weightloss seminar at the place that id like to have my surgery.

I ended up having to switch my insurance because my original one did not cover it.

I then scheduled a meeting with the surgeon and met my caseworker! Now I am about 2 months into my 6 month preop supervised diet!

Thank you that's helpful. I did check in to a weight loss seminar. I want to see what my pcp thinks first then go from there. Goodluck to you!!

Sent from my LGLS770 using the BariatricPal App

Thanks! Same to you! My PCP was all for it!!

It's a good idea to attend the info sessions at more than one hospital in your area regardless of their med insurance affiliations. Make your goal to learn as much as possible and ask questions at each session. The info presented will raise lots of questions in your mind, some of which you'll be able to ask at any session and others when you get to the stage of a consultation appt with a surgeon.

Certainly engage your PCP, but not necessarily as the first stage -- unless he/she may be able to recommend a bariatric practice. It's likely that the PCP won't know much about bariatric procedures. Then, again, all things are possible. At any rate, the surgeon you go with will routinely want clearance from the PCP. You probably know that it's usually as simple as "Yup, she's in good enough shape to undergo the x-y-z procedure."

I'm unqualified to speak about your candidacy for bypass or other WLS options. That's to discuss with the surgeon(s) you'll be considering.

High on my list of recommendation is "Relax." Don't worry about your insurance plan or anything else. Just take the steps in logical order. You're good.

My PCP is against surgery because he has a few patients who have problems. I just went to seminar recommended by my OBGYN. Now I'm just waiting for clearance from pulmonary doctor.

Sent from my SM-G730V using the BariatricPal App

@@Concettaella I would go to a seminar first and ask about your situation with resected bowel. They may recommend the Gastric Sleeve surgery rather than Bypass. Also determine what your insurance requirements are for approval. You may need a referral from your PCP or not.

I would say it depends on what kind of insurance you have, mine doesn't require referrals so I was able to call surgeon's office directly to schedule the appointment... Be sure to research the surgeon you select...

I am interested in weight loss surgery specifically gastric bypass. I know i have enough weight to lose and a slew of medical conditions. I a.m. just not sure where to start? Do i just see my pcp and tell him im interested in weight loss surgery and at least start the conversation?? I've been on Every diet in the book, I'm active always have been. I just can't seem to lose significant weight. My one concern is that i had diverticulitis a couple of years ago and had to have a bowel resection. I am nervous this will be a barrier to having any kind of weight loss surgery. Otherwise i guess I'm just wondering do u just start the conversation with ur pcp and see where it goes?

All this insurance stuff makes me nervous as well...

Any feedback would be helpful.

First I would recommend finding a hospital or surgery center that does the surgery. They may have an informational group or meeting that can help.

I'm still about 4 months from surgery. The hospital, along with a group of surgeons, has a great system. Here's my experience.

I went to a twice monthly meeting, facilitated be a nurse. She explained a lot of the process, then a surgeon came in and discussed what happens. Many people asked many questions. We were given some reading material and some forms. If you decide it's for you, you complete the forms and get them back to them.

You will then get an appointment with the nurse, a dietician and an exercise physiologist. You'll set some goals and come back every month for generally 6 months, until surgery is scheduled.

They lead you through the entire process step by step.

Sent from my KFTHWI using the BariatricPal App