Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I am 8 days post op, full liquid diet... I think i might be lactose intolerant now... I am allowed to have low fat creamy strained Soups and I have noticed that a while after I have it I get this bloating feeling with cramps pain. For those that have become lactose intolerant after surgery, what were your symptoms?

I am not that big on dairy products I don't think I would miss it too much but still wish I would be able to have cheese at some time in my life.

Thanks!

Ugh- I'm in the same boat. At first I chalked it up to my body getting back on track. The gas, diarrhea, and nausea after dairy products is pretty consistent so it's probably the lactose. Today I picked up some Lactaid milk at the store. The biggest thing that bothers me seems to be the Protein Shakes that I make with skim milk, so I am hopeful this will help (and that I'll be able to enjoy the occasional tiny portion of cheese).

I have been lactose intolerant for 30 years and your symptoms do sound like lactose intolerance. Call your doc or NUT and if they agree ask if you can take lactaid (Walmart has a cheap generic). There are chewables and crushing the regular pills into your food doesn't taste bad either. You might want to try lactaid or fair life milk. Also there are many lactose free shakes out there. Isopure and total lean from GNC are what I used. Good luck!

@@SweetPeas,

Yep that's what I thought at first as well, but yesterday did process of elimination and it seems I got worse after having creamy Soup.

I think I was somewhat ok after having Kefir, @@ocgirl15, does that not have lactose? Sorry for stupid question... Just trying to think if it's somehow different.

I am going to try and get lactose free milk today it's on my approved list and see what happens.

Thank you for the help:)

@@UsernameTaken it certainly could be something else so speak with your doctor/NUT first get their opinion. I was already using lactaid pills and my doctor said they were totally safe (they are just an enzyme your stomach use to make on its own). But I did have issues with other foods after surgery. Some shakes still made me sick after surgery even though they were lactose free so it wasn't the lactose. Your stomach is so sensitive after this kind of trauma. I also tolerated fair life milk better than lactaid milk. Milk in general has lots of natural sugar. Lactose and galactose. I couldn't tolerate sugar well in any form. I think had dumping early on. But I don't have it 6 months out. Some people have issues with spicey foods, acidic foods, raw veggies. Always best to talk with your medical team.

Ok so I haven't had any dairy today but still got some of this weird feeling in my stomach as if it's trapped gas in there that just won't leave that place. Very uncomfortable, I take gas x strip and feel better but as soon as I drink it comes back... It will take a while to get to know this new body of mine....