Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Questions from a hopeful bandster.

Hello all and thanks to everyone who replied to my introduction post.

I have been mulling through all kinds of questions that will probably be answered on my journey to being banded, but thought I would go ahead and ask a few now.

First is: From all the research I have done, I have read that one of the liquids you should not drink is milkshakes. One, because they have too much sugar, and two, they are heavier to go down to and through the stomach. Is this true? Maybe you Water them down or something?

Second is: I have read also that you should drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day or more to not get dehydrated. Well, water is filling so how is that possible? lol

Third: Probably the biggest question on my mind is can you drink milk? Nonfat of course. I Looooovvvvveee milk, and I reaaaallyyy do not want to give it up completely. ;-)

Fourth: When it comes to mushy foods, I was thinking of a mushy type of food that my mom would feed us when we were little and that was mashed bananas and cottage cheese. lol Would that be too much or ok?

Finally? Through my research I read that after having a Lap Band placed, then the Vitamin needs can be met my just simple taking a disolved or crushed Flintstone vitamin once a day and you are good to go.

Ok, I think I covered everything. Thanks to everyone who reads and replies to this message in advance.

Judy

p.s. Just in case anyone is curious, I am 6'1, and weigh 396 lbs.

First is: From all the research I have done, I have read that one of the liquids you should not drink is milkshakes. One, because they have too much sugar, and two, they are heavier to go down to and through the stomach. Is this true? Maybe you Water them down or something?

Second is: I have read also that you should drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day or more to not get dehydrated. Well, water is filling so how is that possible? lol

Third: Probably the biggest question on my mind is can you drink milk? Nonfat of course. I Looooovvvvveee milk, and I reaaaallyyy do not want to give it up completely. ;-)

Fourth: When it comes to mushy foods, I was thinking of a mushy type of food that my mom would feed us when we were little and that was mashed bananas and cottage cheese. lol Would that be too much or ok?

Finally? Through my research I read that after having a Lap Band placed, then the Vitamin needs can be met my just simple taking a disolved or crushed Flintstone vitamin once a day and you are good to go.

Ok, I think I covered everything. Thanks to everyone who reads and replies to this message in advance.

Judy

p.s. Just in case anyone is curious, I am 6'1, and weigh 396 lbs.

One: You CAN still physically drink milkshakes, but you are correct that it is too calorie dense to be doing it on a regular basis. Otherwise, you're here asking why you're not losing weight like you thought you would. lol. Unfortunately, the band does little to stop soft/liquid foods, so it's up to you to make better choices if you are really serious about losing weight.

Two: Your pouch is merely a narrow passage that fluids will still flow through pretty freely. If you have problems with water, then you're probably too tight. The water will flow into the lower stomach with no problem otherwise, which allows you to get in as much as you need. And, yes, it is more filling. Hopefully this will help in keeping you from over-eating. :D Then, per normal, the water makes it's way pretty quickly through your kidneys and flushed down the drain so as to make room for more. :)

Three: Yes. You can still have milk. In fact, milk is one of the only liquids with calories that you are encouraged to have ONE 8oz cup a day. Any more than that and you're probably sabotaging your weight loss.

Once you are past your initial liquids/soft foods phase, you are encouraged to NOT drink any calorie laden liquids/juices etc, due to their high calorie content.

Four: Cottage cheese with bananas might be okay in small amounts. Probably no more than 4oz at a time - again once you've past that soft food stage you'll not want to make this a staple of your diet. You'll be focusing more on 'hard' Proteins such as fish, chicken, etc.

Five: Two Flintstones Vitamins a day is perfectly good for your vitamin needs. You'll be perfectly capable of chewing them instead of crushing. You'll also be pretty capable of taking any medications you might need unless you become super restricted.

Keep researching. There is lots and lots to learn and be prepared for with banding. The band is great for restricting Portion Control with the right foods, such as hard proteins, quality veggies, but you can definitely sabatoge your weightloss if you get into what is called the 'soft food syndrome' by eating too many Desserts, ice creams, high calorie/high fat/high carb foods. This method of weight loss is one that you must meet halfway. It will not force you to lose weight. It has to be your choice. It will only really help you with portion control. The rest is up to you.

Welcome aboard! Please tell us more about yourself and read, read, read, there is so much experience and knowledge here for the taking! Good luck to you!

Hello Judy:

First: Milkshakes are high calorie high fat content. It can easily make you gain weight even being banded. So those types of items should be taken in moderation. Any liquid will pass through easily so we need to monitor the amount we take in.

Second: Water is a great weight loss aid. This seems funny but it is true. It also has the benefit of hydrating the skin and keeping wrinkles at bay. LOL!! Water in and of itself is a great benefit regardless of the weight loss aid. It keeps the kidneys working properly, helps flush out toxins in the body, hydrates us, etc etc. I try to drink at least 64 oz a day. That would be 8 - 8oz glasses per day. One thing to remember being banded is to NOT NOT NOT drink during a meal. Only drink before and up to an hour after a meal. If you drink during a meal you will just be aiding the food you have eaten to flush through the upper pouch into the lower stomach and you will eat more thus running the risk of gaining weight through eating more calories. Just remember Protein FIRST, then veggies, then anything else if you have room.

Third, Milk is that high fat content again. Just remember to drink in moderation. This includes any dairy product like ice cream, cheese, etc. Take into consideration of all the dairy you are taking in and adjust your calorie intake accordingly. If you are not sure then you can track it at www.fitday.com for an accurate accounting.

Fourth, Mashed Bananas and Cottage Cheese is great for mushy foods when you are in that stage. Keep in mind cottage cheese another dairy food but it also has protein as well. Bananas are a great sounce of potassium among other things and can cause some gassy type issues. Being freshly banded you might want to rethink adding that factor into your already gassy bowel. You can do the cottage cheese and a fruit like a canned pear just make sure it is not full of calories and not canned in heavy Syrup. The pears are easier to tolerate freshly banded. They can be mashed to mush easier than any other fruit. If you like tomatoes with your cottage cheese then please take off skin prior to eating. I learned that the hard way. Protein Drinks are good but some have high calorie content so be mindful of that when purchasing.

Fifth, Vitamins was my achilles heel for the longest time. I had to crush mine all the time and they tasted awful. I finally found a liquid Vitamin I can take and it isn't bad tasting at all. I don't do well with taking them more than once a day too. This you take one capful, about 30 cc, a day. It can be found at www.vitaminshoppe.com. It is called Source of Life Liquid Vitamin. There is a thread on here about it. Just do a search for Liquid Vitamin and you should find it.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any question you want.

Penni

I asked Inamed about Water last week. I was concerned that if I drank too much of it, or if I drank too fast, that it would stretch my band. They said drink, drink, drink. No problem with Water stretching the pouch. I'm able to guzzle pretty good, which is a nasty habit, but I'm still learning to slow down.

I had no problem drinking thick milkshakes, except they are really fattening.

Cottage cheese and mashed bananas sound great to me. I was so gassy already that nothing I ate or didn't eat would make it any worse. Sounds good.

The Water thing. . . You are suppose to sip constantly therefore drinking that much is very doable. . . the first few days my Dr. says to use a medicine cup to drink out of to slow yourself down and to only have 30 mL every 15-30 minutes. Then you can slowly increase. Water will not necessary keep you full because it trickles down to the large part of your stomach quicker than food! Good Luck!