Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not banded, worrying about-PBing or Throwing up

I just read a thread in another forum about someone's experience with a very painful PB or 'productive burp'. Now I am seriously scared! I am not banded yet but I am in the process of becoming banded. I have heard of PB's and thought it was a non-painful burp that had food with it. The way this person described it, it is the most painful experience they had ever had and they would rather die than go through it again. They said that they felt misled by the doctors and a few people agreed. So is it true? Is PBing really some awful, slime filled, horribly painful experience? Is there slime involved? And what is a 'golf-ball'? I am really worried now! I hate throwing up and I am not looking forward to excruciating pain. Please someone, reassure me that PBing is not that bad!

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

The way this person described it, it is the most painful experience they had ever had and they would rather die than go through it again. They said that they felt misled by the doctors and a few people agreed. So is it true?

Not sure what post you are referring to but keep in mind, some folks are full of a lot of drama too. They are the type that have never had a simple tension headache in their entire life, they have MIGRAINES! Instead of a little heartburn they have HORRIBLE CHEST PAIN! OMG, the drama! You know that person in the office that get some period cramps and they are doubled over in agony while people are watching, but when nobody is watching they are quietly working at their desk? Yeah, lots of drama.

If you get really really stuck yeah, it hurts. But nothing like what was described. As Jack says, it's a great lesson, you don't make that mistake again. Well, not for a long long time.

You know, Jack is right. I guess I could take a little pain compared to the pain I will feel the rest of my life if I never get the band. It just bummed me out a little. I can withstand throwing up but I am afraid of the idea of doubling over in pain an hoping to die. I want to get a handle on what a PB is to people and what a "golf ball"' is. I am assuming a golf ball is when your pouch is stretched and uncomfortable? BTW, here is the thread I am referring to. Please read it and you will know why I am now a little scared. Thanks!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/pb-worse-experience-my-life-15400/

Did you also she what she ate? Like 6 spicey wings, 2 jalopeno poppers, a daquirii...etc. Yeh I guess she would get sick :faint:

I've never had a painful PB. PBing is just a reminder that I didn't follow what works for me. Let's put it in perspective.... I weight progressively less. I no longer take diabetes meds. As of yesterday's test, I no longer have osteoporosis. And I no longer shop in the plus size department.

I've never had a painful PB. PBing is just a reminder that I didn't follow what works for me. Let's put it in perspective.... I weight progressively less. I no longer take diabetes meds. As of yesterday's test, I no longer have osteoporosis. And I no longer shop in the plus size department.

Wooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on that, btw!!!!!!!!! No more Osteo! That is BEYOND fantastic! No diabetes meds....... OMG, I'm in shock!

As a nurse this is a BIG BIG deal in my world!

As a female, no longer shopping in fat depts is also a really big big deal!

Congrats to you!

I second that! I have had some pbing No big deal. It tells me that's I've eatend to fast or too much. I lern from that! Some peole have a lower pain tolerance than others. Pleae don't let one person's post determine your decision. Shopping in the regular store and being able to walk certaainly out weighs a little pbing! Good luck with your decision.

I to have PBed, and yes it is very unpleasaent, but like Jack and WasaBB have said it is a learning experiance. Each time I have Pbed it has been a few days after a fill, and here is when you have to learn what you can and can not eat. You get a fill you get a new chance to learn, aint it great! Don't let the fear of PBing stop you from doing the best thing you can ever do for yourself.

307/238/190ish

3.6 cc in a VG band

banded 22 Mar 07

I have never PBd yet. I have taken to big of a bite to fast and had it stuck. It was painful. But I think it is under your control. If you eat right and dont over do it you should be ok. And remember that everyone is different. Hopefully you will never have any problem. I tell you it would take a lot for me to regret having my band out in. I hate the thought of even having to get it taken out. It has totally been a life saver for me.

Ahem....I just PB'd about 3 minutes ago trying to drink my morning Protein Shake (I seem to be tight in the morning these days and sometimes I forget)...no biggie. Really. I agree there is a lot of drama around this. If you ever have a PB, just be sure you are reasonably close a bathroom. Otherwise, it's nothing (well...you certainly don't want to be in the HABIT of doing it) to be alarmed about. Pretty much after I have one of those I am just going "Well, crap, I should've watched what I was doing a little closer...."

Thank you all for your responses. I would never consider not getting the surgery because of PBing, it just made me a little worried. I did see what she ate and it didn't sound like a good idea. But I am not banded so I wouldn't know yet what wouldn't go down. As you all said, its a learning experience. At least I can learn a little before I am banded and maybe I won't make those same mistakes. Once I am banded, my plan is to follow instructions to the tee. I don't want to jeopardize everything and risk losing the band. Thank you all again for your support.

One more question, have any of you used meat tenderizer if food gets stuck? My dietitian told me people use it but for some reason it sounds like a bad idea. If it is tenderizing the food, it seems like it might be tenderizing my stomach too...

One more question, have any of you used meat tenderizer if food gets stuck? My dietitian told me people use it but for some reason it sounds like a bad idea. If it is tenderizing the food, it seems like it might be tenderizing my stomach too...

I prefer pineapple juice. I buy the unsweetened 6oz cans and that always does the trick for me. Might be all in my head, not sure. But as long as it works I'm happy. :blush:

<p>

</p> <p> </p> <p>Try Clear Ease (you can find it on line). It is popular with scuba divers to help clear sinuses. It is a papaya enzyme (i.e., meat tenderizer). After seeing a few other posts about it, I got a bottle and keep one or two lozenges in my purse. If you have an "episode" you can pop a lozenge in the corner of your mouth and let it dissolve. It cannot hurt and could help break up whatever is stuck. Mind you....I haven't tried it yet because when my food has gotten stuck it was because I messed up and it was GOOD and stuck and probably coming back up, but if you have a situation that is really minor and it could stay down and go through with some help, this might be the trick.</p>