Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days! Surgery 5/24-Question & Any helpfult tips?

My surgery is in 4 day and I am extremely excited and truthfully a little nervous. I feel well prepared and informed so I'm hoping I got this! I know all of the "get your 60-80 Protein & 64 oz. of Water rules" BUT does anyone have any helpful tips for me for day of surgery up to the first week or 2? Anything particular I should take to the hospital? Anything to help ease pain or discomfort that worked for you? Any special foods that were easy for you? And one last question, I have had laparoscopic surgery before (gallbladder) so I remember the physical discomfort from surgery and the gas/being cut in the abdomen, but since this is more involved surgery (cutting the stomach and sealing the new sleeve)...will hurt burn/hurt when I swallow water or protein sips at first? If so how long? Thanks! :D

I had more pain in my chest when I tried to swallow anything....but I had a hernia repair as well....I never noticed any burning feeling other than heartburn type pain.

When you get home from the hospital don't be surprised if you can't get in enough Water or Protein....I'm on day 4 (surgery was Monday) and I was just now able to almost finish an 8oz Protein Drink....prior to this nothing other than a little fluids. I think today I'm turning a corner and hope tomorrow I'll be able to get more in.

Pain in the hospital once they finally got my pain pump setup was controlled well....there was an issue when they moved me from recovery to my room....they didn't have my pain pump ready and no one seemed to know who my nurse was and I had a period of agony I should not have had to endure....They must stay on top of your pain!

Once I got home I had liquid pain medication that made me want to puke it tasted so bad so all I've been able to take is Extra Strength Tylenol.....I have found that almost everything tastes terrible after surgery....today it's getting a little better.

Thank you so much for the advice! I hope your recovery is speedy! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm Day 4 also following VSG and a hernia repair. Experiences vary form patient to patient, and for me, I experience no pain when swallowing. I take very small sips, and I'm always "drinking" (have a drink by my side) although very slowly. I take about three sips in a row, each a teaspoon size, and swallow for each, and set my cup down for a few moments. It takes about 40 mins to get through 8oz. I experienced slight cramping to begin with, and your new pouch will be gurgling a bit. My main discomfort is from flatulence, and pressure build up from gas. Keep on top of the pain and other prescribed meds for the first few days at least, walk, and take it slow.

Best of luck to you, and to Kmori, I do hope this is a turnaround for you.

Be well

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm Day 4 also following VSG and a hernia repair. Experiences vary form patient to patient, and for me, I experience no pain when swallowing. I take very small sips, and I'm always "drinking" (have a drink by my side) although very slowly. I take about three sips in a row, each a teaspoon size, and swallow for each, and set my cup down for a few moments. It takes about 40 mins to get through 8oz. I experienced slight cramping to begin with, and your new pouch will be gurgling a bit. My main discomfort is from flatulence, and pressure build up from gas. Keep on top of the pain and other prescribed meds for the first few days at least, walk, and take it slow.

Best of luck to you, and to Kmori, I do hope this is a turnaround for you.

Be well

Thanks for the info, I think gurgling might have startled me had I never heard this. I appreciate you sharing your experience and advice with me. Speedy recovery to you.

I am having my surgery May 24th also and had a lot of the same questions and concerns. Thanks for your post!

Yay for May 24th, I'm happy for you! I hope you have a great surgery and easy healing. Good luck to you!

Edited by IAMREADY!

I am also on the 24th I am very nervous but excited good luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

Surgery buddies! I'm may 24th too! See ya on the losers bench!

I had my surgery on 13th (revision to bypass and gallbladder removal), they gave me "happy juice" in my IV before taking me to the OR, everything was a breeze from there. Actually think that my surgery day was the easiest of the recovery. When I woke up in recovery they had my pain button set up and I used that thing as soon as I felt any pain, I think I was allowed twice per hour.

Once I passed my upper GI the next morning I was starting on liquids... So I ordered few things to try what will go down... chicken broth was so bland and gross, I didn't want it... So I stuck to the beef broth and caffein free hot tea. It was painful for me to drink cold so I just kept sipping on warm drinks while at the hospital.

Not sure if every hospital does this but they gave me this Bari bear to hold on my belly when I would try to get up it was very helpful, I even use it right now at home still when I have some discomfort.

The gas pain was bad for me, I was told to walk walk walk and that's what I did, all the nurses new that I probably did the most walking but the only way I could actually release that gas after few days is by sitting on the recliner in the room and having my legs bent, plus being in bed so much was hurting my back so it was a nice alternative.

liquid pain meds are not the best tasting but you get used to it.

You will do great! It gets better everyday!