Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you glad you chose the band vs. r-n-y?

Hi everyone!

I originally wanted the gastric bypass-rny...I researched that for awhile and decided to go with the lapband (for multiple reasons). Prior to my surgery (6/19/07) I had known people who had the bypass done, but no one who had the lapband. I went to two seminars, however, I still did not know everything I should have about the band. I have had several surprises, but nothing even close to making me think that I wish I had gone with the bypass vs. the band! I now have a support group...thanks to this forum and meeting some wonderful banded people in the area. Now I can ask questions from people who've been there and gone through it. I was just wondering if people have had experiences that made them wish they had gone another route...or if like me...they have had surprises, but are still very happy with the band.

I am very glad with my band and my progress so far. I really never even considered RNY because I just did not like the idea of my insides being chopped up and put back together wrong. You just never know what will happen to you in the future, and I like the idea that the band can (if necessary, hopefully never!) come out and your anatomy will be back to normal.

I haven't had great success with the band (yet) but am still really happy that I have it. I just couldn't face having my insides rearranged through RNY and this did and still does seem like the best option for me. Congrats on your band!

Wabb...ditto! And look at your success!!! You are almost there. Congrats!!

juno610...You gave all my reasons for chosing the band! We don't know the future and anything permanent scared me. I also love knowing that if I start gaining or reach a plato I have the option of getting a new fill and that should help me to get back on track. With the RNY what can you do??

momlambert....Thank you! Same to you! I know it is so frustrating when you don't lose as fast as others. You have to count your successes though....how would you be doing without your band? I know every day-week-month-year I was killing myself. Now I have hope and a future! You hang in there and don't give up-21 lbs is a lot! Good luck and God bless!

I am glad I was banded. It gave me what I needed. But, if I was to lose my band, regain and not be able to be re-banded for some reason, I would look at the RNY and VSG.

Chickie,

You have lost 190 lbs. and kept it off for a year!!!! That is amazing! I bow before you girl! Everyone knows how much hard work that was! Thanks for your post!

Oh! Don't get me wrong, I love my band, but if for some reason, I was unable to have another band fitted, and was regaining weight, I would look at other WLS. Given the choice, I would re band in a nano second. It is my first choice, but not my only choice.

I don't have the fear of being "re routed", I guess. I am going to do what it takes to keep this weight off for life. And if I lose my band, regain, and cannot be rebanded, I would look at other options.

I'm sorry.. I missed your reason the first time I read your post. Now I understand perfectly what you mean! I'll pay more attention next time. LOL I agree with you about doing whatever it takes to continue keeping this weight off. I know for many people that have had the RNY (my brother had the duodenal switch and is four years out-doing great!), it was the best decision for them. We all have to make our own choices with our Dr's help. I have much respect for anyone making this decision. I'm just so proud of and for you. You have done so well. I pray my journey is as successful...thanks again for your input!!!