Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month post op and stuck in a stall...

I was sleeved on April 13th , and lost 20 pounds as of two week post op visit. But since then , nothing . I'll lose 2, gain one , lose one gain 2!??? It's so frustrating! It seems like ever since I went back to the gym. I am still on stage 3, mostly mushy foods. I am eating under 1000 cals a day and burning way more as I have a very active job. This is what I was dealing with before surgery. I always had burned double the calories I ate and still couldn't lose! I'm getting around 90 plus grams of Protein per day as my nutritionist suggested with my more active life style . I'm not sure what to do next!!! Anyone else go through a long stall like this??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@dawnmac3903 yep!

Stalls are a part of the WLS rollercoaster - embrace it, and carry on! Search BP for embracing the stall~

Weigh everything out and keep on the plan set forth by your team.

Welcome!

I am three months post op and I have stalled a good part of the time. I even gained one pound from last week to this week which was new for me. No, I don't like it but it's all part of the journey like the post above states. They are extremely frustrating. I only lost 2 lbs my second month but 8 on my third month. So...hang in there as depressing as it may be. Your body needs a break from the rapid weight loss.

There isn't much that is almost completely universally experienced after sleeve surgery but stalling at three weeks out is one of those things. Don't believe me? Use the search function on this site -- or just do a general Google -- for "three week stall" or "vsg third week stall" or anything like that.

Stay away from the scale for a few weeks and keep following your program. You may want to take measurements instead of weighing yourself for a bit. Good luck!

Here it is:

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

If you are working out intensely. Then you will want to talk to your NUT. At under 1000 calories, you may need more calories.

Try watching your BMI instead of the scale for awhile. Your gym should have the tool that measures it. When I wasn't seeing changes I had it checked. Now 8 weeks out I'm down to 36 from 48. BMI doesn't fluctuate like weight does. The number IS the number. [emoji4]

I had a stall at 3 weeks...that lasted a week and a half.

I am now at 7 weeks and I am hitting 2 weeks now on another stall eating 30-40 carbs per day under 10 grams of sugar a day 6-800 cal per day and burning around 4,000 calories per day by walking 10k steps a day. I am getting 100% of my Protein drinking 120oz Water a day - less than 15 grams fat a day and I monitor my heart rate during cardio to make sure I'm I'm fat burn zone.i asked my NUT she said DO NOT increase calories stick to exactly what I'm doing . I feel like this isn't working for me bc I am literally killing myself to put in so much meticulous effort into doing all the right things yet I barely lose weight.

Thyroid - fine

Vitamin levels - fine

Exercise - 7 days a week for 70-90 min

I know they say ride it out but when I'm wearing my ass off trying to lose weight that phrase doesn't help.

Also let me add - I have gained 2 lbs ...my body fat % has been stuck at 47.5 since week 4 even after losing 5lbs then week 5 I hit another stall and it has been at 47.5 for two weeks. I am not on my period and i don't salt foods.

I am tired and taking the day off of my exercise regimen bc my body is sore and im cranky. I'll get over it by tomorrow but today I'm in my feelings.

Stall from week 2.5 to week 4

Stalled from week 5-7

also pay attention to your poo.

why do I say that? I have been following my plan for the whole three months, but when I tracked my calories - I thought dang. I should have lost more. but I was constipated - once that has been resolving my body is letting go also of Water

so bottom line? all the time the scale didn't move, or moved up a pound down a pound I was actually burning fat. which is what really matters.

and, as the scale has been moving nicely again I am very sleepy. :-) It's a wild ride, I hope you like rollercoasters! We'll all get there if we keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I had a stall at 3 weeks...that lasted a week and a half.

I am now at 7 weeks and I am hitting 2 weeks now on another stall eating 30-40 carbs per day under 10 grams of sugar a day 6-800 cal per day and burning around 4,000 calories per day by walking 10k steps a day. I am getting 100% of my Protein drinking 120oz Water a day - less than 15 grams fat a day and I monitor my heart rate during cardio to make sure I'm I'm fat burn zone.i asked my NUT she said DO NOT increase calories stick to exactly what I'm doing . I feel like this isn't working for me bc I am literally killing myself to put in so much meticulous effort into doing all the right things yet I barely lose weight.

Thyroid - fine

Vitamin levels - fine

Exercise - 7 days a week for 70-90 min

I know they say ride it out but when I'm wearing my ass off trying to lose weight that phrase doesn't help.

I know your NUT said not to change anything, but 600-800 calories seems REALLY low.

Also let me add - I have gained 2 lbs ...my body fat % has been stuck at 47.5 since week 4 even after losing 5lbs then week 5 I hit another stall and it has been at 47.5 for two weeks. I am not on my period and i don't salt foods.

I am tired and taking the day off of my exercise regimen bc my body is sore and im cranky. I'll get over it by tomorrow but today I'm in my feelings.

Stall from week 2.5 to week 4

Stalled from week 5-7

There is nothing wrong with having rest days. As far as I am concerned I need them.

With a very active job AND hitting the gym, 600-800 calories is WAY too low. You simply need more than that.

I've gotten slammed for this, but your metabolism will slow down the longer you stay under 1000-ish calories a day. Period. And you are still healing. Your body needs REST in order to recover. Back off at the gym and eat more.

How do I know this? I had my RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested. I also had a session with a PhD in exercise physiology who works for a major university medical center (that means she knows what she's talking about). I am over 60 with a desk job and in three months of calories not greater than 800/day, my metabolic rate dropped forty percent.

So I have been directed never to eat less than my RMR per day (right now, that's 1290 calories a day). That's what my body requires at complete rest, and I've recovered from my surgery. Anything less than that will slow my metabolism further. For now, I'm not to do any intense workouts until I can keep my calories at 1290 (and it's a challenge at ten weeks out). Walking is fine, I'm to increase both calories and activity.

I had this testing done on Wednesday. I was stalled. I've lost two lbs. in two days by upping my calories as directed.

Edited by 2goldengirl