Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

non banded seeking info

Hi,

I have a question or two for you all. I am really struggling with doing this, I have told myself over and over again if I do this I will have to make changes to my eating and abide by those. Well if I have to do it then why can't I do it now? I feel I will not have the will power to change later. Does the band make it so that im really full and have no desire to eat?

Also when I dont eat enough I get weak. Has anyone had that problem after banding. Im afraid I won't have any strenth.

6' 2"

male

Hi,

I have a question or two for you all. I am really struggling with doing this, I have told myself over and over again if I do this I will have to make changes to my eating and abide by those. Well if I have to do it then why can't I do it now? The band makes it sooooooooo much easier to be satisfied on much less food...probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you are eating now. You WILL be satisified on less food.

I feel I will not have the will power to change later. Does the band make it so that im really full and have no desire to eat? Well, you do have to make changes in your food choices...because the band will not prevent you from eating all the Resses Peanut Butter Cups and Oreo Milkshakes you want! The band will not make you "really full"...but the magical thing that happens is that you learn a new meaning to the word "full". "Satisfied" replaces "full" in a few short weeks.

Also when I dont eat enough I get weak. Has anyone had that problem after banding. Im afraid I won't have any strenth. I have no real idea, but if I had to guess, I'd say you have some blood sugar issues going on. If you're eating a lot of carby or sugary foods, you might very well feel weak several times per day. If you learn to stay away from those foods and make better food choices you should notice a vast improvement in the way you feel. I don't think you'll find the need to eat to avoid feeling "weak". (I know this because I have blood sugar issues, too.)

6' 2"

male

Ask away! That's what we're here for!

That helps, thank you . Can you feel you have the band on or any part of the band parts ? I read about the chance of death, whats that all about ? im sure its with any surgery but this seems so minor in a way.

You had it right when you said it's with any surgery. Heck, you could die having your tonsils out. It's just the fact that people's bodies vary so greatly, some are allergic to anesthesia and don't know it until too late, or there's a miniscule chance of something major going wrong, like cutting a major blood supply, but your surgeon will no doubt be too competent for that!

Besides, the risk of dying with a lap-band surgery- to me at least- is not nearly enough to consider not doing it, especially since I'm gonna die if I keep along this path! May as well DO something about it! :girl_hug:

Hi,

I have a question or two for you all. I am really struggling with doing this, I have told myself over and over again if I do this I will have to make changes to my eating and abide by those. Well if I have to do it then why can't I do it now? I feel I will not have the will power to change later. Does the band make it so that im really full and have no desire to eat?

Also when I dont eat enough I get weak. Has anyone had that problem after banding. Im afraid I won't have any strenth.

6' 2"

male

I would say all of us who've been banded have failed at "traditional" weight-loss plans. Many of us have years of history at it, before we decided to try something different.

I can only tell you what I experienced. Yes, I do have less desire to eat, and less cravings for some foods then I used to. Now, you have to make good choices, and follow the guidlines most of the time, but it makes it possible to do so for me. You also have to be willing to do the follow-up and get and keep a good level of restriction. That means paying attention to how you feel. But it's worth it.

That helps, thank you . Can you feel you have the band on or any part of the band parts ? I read about the chance of death, whats that all about ? im sure its with any surgery but this seems so minor in a way.

I can feel the port under my skin if I press on it, but that is all. You can't see it. I cannot feel any other parts in any way.

Yes, the chance of death is very low, but it's there as it is with any surgery & anesthesia.

Yes, there is a certain amount of risk with this surgery and any other surgery...You need to go to the seminars, research all areas and find out if you are comfortable taking the chance...as for me, I would go again tomorrow and have it done...I love my band..