Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for others having problems with band.

Hi I am six months post op. I started out losing a lot of weight 30lbs. Now I am gaining and I am having a problem keeping food down. I have had five fills because my band was not staying filled. Last fill was 11/4/04..2.5cc Now I can not keep down to much food. Is there anyone out there having the same problem? I am also not real sure of exactly what I should be eating. Can anyone help??

Nat

Natalie, do you think that you could be overfilled? You should be able to eat small portions of Proteins (meats) with no problems. Please do not hesitate to see your fill dr. if you can't keep foods down. Constant pbing is bad and should be avoided. You should be making healthy food choices - Protein first, then veg., then carbs (if any room left) and avoiding starches, sugars, and high carbs. You should also be striving to drink 64 ounces of Water daily, but not with meals or up to one hour after eating (so you stay feeling full longer).

Hi natalie. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Who was your doctor? It sounds as if you've had one close enough to do fills, but how could he/she have missed educating you on what you were supposed to be eating?

Firstly, you should be trying to get no less than 48-60grams of Protein per day. Secondly, the only carbs you should be taking in are high quality vegetables. (not potatoes) Thirdly, if you have room after your Protein and veggies, then you might have a bit of 'something else' IF you still have room. You might try documenting everything that goes into your mouth with www.fitday.com just to see where your protein/carbs lie. This would give you some clue as to what your diet is providing, nutritent/calorie - wise.

Most of us avoid bread, rice, Pasta products, not only because they are glutenous and tend to dough up and stick in our stoma, but also because these are high in starch and basically turn to sugar in our systems which is not really conducive to weight loss (which is why we get our bands).

I'm including the link to Inamed's Patient Handbook as it has some great information regarding maintenance of your band and guidelines for eating. Is it possible to ask your doctor to provide you with his particular guidelines for eating also?

Besides these highlights, your Water intake is another major point that helps with weightloss. again, you need to try to drink at least 48 oz, but 60 is better, per day. EVERYDAY. That, in addition with at least 30 minutes of exercise - 3 to 5 times per week should help you to get back on track with your band. :D Please keep us posted how you are doing.

http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/patient/lapband/information.html#booklet

marie,

Thanks for answering so quickly. My doctor is in danville. When My fill was at 2cc I was able to eat anything and I was not getting satisfied. I guess I just needed to be motivated. Now that I found this site I know I can do it!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!

Leatha_G,

Thanks for the Quick reply. I have a doctor in Danville. He did teach me but I was always in a hurry because of work. Thanks for the advise. I think I need to be motivated. I started to really watch what I am eating today. Thanks!!!!!

Natalie, I'm coming up on my sixth month of banding. I've had two fills. After the second one, I was pbing on Water. Just removing 0.2cc made all the difference in the world and still gave me good restriction. Best of luck to you!

I'm having problems with my band, but they are not the same as yours. They had to remove my port, so now I can't get fills. I need a new port, but I don't have the money. Maybe one day I'll know what it's like to be overfilled, but for now, good luck to you.

DeLarla,

I hope you can get your port. Hang in there. I know it is hard but even with out fills the weight lost can happen.

I am looking for some ideas on menus for Breakfast. any one have any?? As I was saying earlier I throw up just about everything and now it is becoming a habit. I am trying really hard to keep things down and I am on day two. I know it does not sound like much but to me it is a lot. I just get fustriated because I really think I should be losing more weight but all I do is fight with the same three pounds. I am really glad that I found this site!

Many of us simply cannot have solids for breakfast. Sometimes, if you're beating your head against a wall, it's best to let the wall win. lol.

I have started trying to have bran Cereal in the mornings simply because I need the Fiber. If I don't do that, I stick to a Protein drink (whey Protein and water). It's no time before noon and by then I can handle solids better. However, if I try to force solids for breakfast, I may wind up pbing and having to do liquids the rest of the day. I'd rather wait.

Maybe just grab a Protein Drink, then carry something more substantial for mid-morning snack?

Leatha,

I know it sounds silly but I really need to get motivated and I really am having a hard time with what to eat. I am really trying this week. I was eating the post carb bars for Breakfast but they really hurt going down... I have another silly question. What is pbing??

I think the protien shake is a really good idea. Thanks! I got two protien bars at the store tonight and thought I would give them a try for a mid morning snack. What do you think??

I was never able to eat even a bite in the morning, so I made Protein Shakes. But I got tired of dealing with the blender so I went to costco and bought a few cases of pre-mixed Protein shakes. They go down really easy, and they're super convenient. I hope to get a new port, too! Even if I can only have it for a few months because I really need a fill.

Pbing is when you throw up..Natalie if you are having trouble eating and are throwing up..you are too tight! Being filled too tight is not a good thing. It can lead to many problems..I was told by my Dr. 2 weeks ago that if a person is Pbing 1-2 x's a week she or he is at great risk of slippage. Not to mention the damage it is doing to your esophagus. Many people think being filled to tight will help them lose weight faster..NOT true! You said in one of your post that you are throwing up everything now and it is becoming a habit..THIS IS NOT GOOD. having as little as .2 cc;s removed can make a huge difference so you can eat comfortably. Do not be foolish. The band is not designed to be PBing all the time. I'm sure like all of us you want your band to be with you forever..Be smart call your Doctor..do the right thing :D

Everytime you PB you should be doing liquids for 24 hours so the esophagus can rest..if you are not doing this, it could possibly be why when you eat it hurts. I was just diagnosed with Esophagitis yesterday, it is not pleasant one bit. But I took responsibility, I knew something was not right that it was not supposed to be like this so I called my Dr. over the weekend and drove down to TJ yesterday. One more thing that my Dr. told me yesterday is..he sees so many paitents who are having problems with PBing and their bands and such but they do not act on it until the damage is done, they let it go thinking it will pass. I hope you do not take this post as being harsh on you..but I know first hand on having pain when you eat and I took action. Mine was going on over the holiday weekend I was able to get ahold of my Dr. on saturday he gave me a plan of action to follow until I could be seen on Monday morning...This board has seen many people lose their bands and we all feel bad for each and every one of them. Please Call your Doctor

I understand that you are not trying to be harsh. It is true that I think that I can lose more weight by pbing. I know it is not the right thing to do and I am really trying now to eat right so I don't pb. That is why I had posted the questions of what I should be eating. Today I had a protien bar for breakfast and it stayed down and me made me feel full. I am going to try very hard and not pb. I do have to say though that I really am getting fustrated fighting the same pounds. I was at 257 when I had the band put in and now I am at 220. I just thought that I would continue to lose. I appreciate the posting.