Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with hiccups?

Does anyone else have problems with hiccups?

Since I've had my band (5/4/07), I get the hiccups really often. Get them after waking up, off and on through out the day, while I'm eating, after I eat... it's a real pain... especially while I'm eating! So much so that I usually have to quit eating until they subside, because if I don't they can sometimes trigger me to throw up. The doctor says I'm getting air in my stomach -- even through I never chew gum, drink carbonated beverages, or drink through a straw.

LOL

I went to my seminar last night (pre-op) and I asked the question on hiccups. I get the hickups atleast once a day. Have for my whole life and I was wondering if they could cause any problems. The Dr. said they shouldnt be a problem. I was worried about the band moving.

Do yours hurt?

How bad are they?

Cerrin,

My doctor wasn't too concerned ... as long as I wasn't doing the straws, gum, or colas. Sometimes they can really feel as if they're coming from my big toe ... those really deep hard ones. They're really a nusiance around meal times. I think if there was a concern about band slippage, the doctors would let us know. I'm going back to see him on 9/6 and plan on checking with him again... I've heard before that getting hiccups all the time was a sign of a bad gall bladder... probably an old wives' tale but I'm curious anyways.

I havent heard that one I have had them (according to mom) since before I was born.

I am almost 16 months out, and still get the hiccups on occasion. If I get them once, I get them several times throughout the day---it is like they set the precedence and it is a free for all! I will go days without them, even weeks, then suddenly I will get them one morning, and have to deal with them several times through the day! It makes zero difference whether I have eaten or not, or used a straw or not...nothing seems to trigger it! As for the straw issue, I had them on my tray immediately after surgery, and have used them steadily. I have dental issues with my front teeth, and have always used them, pre op and daily since. Isn't it wild how different Dr.'s handle things???!

I will also get them if I over eat! It is a signal that if I eat more, I will PB----so I try to quit before the hiccups happen.

I used to be able to stop my hiccups by swallowing a spoon ful of sugar....I hadn't thought about it in awhile, I might try it again.

Welcome to bandland Melissa, and welcome to LBT all of you!!!

Cerrin, my oldest DD had hiccups in utero ALL the time it seemed like. Once I was taking a nap at my inlaws following a big family dinner, and woke to the entire clan staring at my big pregnant belly as she hiccuped away! They were thinking of calling 911 thinking something was wrong! She gets them frequently to this day---25 years later, quelling the old wives tale that if they have them in utero they won't after birth!!!

Good luck to you all---glad to have you here!

Kat

I've had them a couple of times since my surgery. Just an idea...I know during the surgery, the diaphragm gets irritated, and I know spasms of the diaphragm cause hiccups...maybe there's some correlation/connection? Don't know. Just thinking out loud.

Kat, that's hilarious about your fam staring at your belly.

Fastpitch, first, congrats on being banded!!! But I'm sorry you're having violent hiccups. I know it has to hurt. Hopefully they'll subside soon! BTW, I was a fastpitch pitcher! I loved it. Wish there was a local league for my age group.

I have found my NEW cure for hiccups....I blow bubbles thru a straw. till all my air is gone. It seems to be working for now.

I work customer service it is so funny getting hiccups when talking to a customer. They all laugh. oh well as long as it wont hurt the band.

No hiccups yet today, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am, however, in a tremendous amount of pain and the Tylenol tastes horrible. I am looking forward to better days.

:rolleyes: