Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going to the surgeon for the first time on 5/31. I haven't been to a seminar or anything yet. I have called my insurance to find out what they cover. What kind of questions should I ask about the surgery? Is anyone else at the same place of this process as I am?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would do some research online if you haven't already. Here's a good start...

https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures

Learn about each procedure and you will be more prepared to ask the surgeon questions as they pertain to you. My Program required me to do the information session first (group session) before being scheduled with the surgeon. They reviewed alot of information in that session and I did a lot of prior research before my surgeon appointment.

I've been doing a lot of research, but I feel like I'll miss something. I thought I had to do the seminar when I was considering WLS years ago, but when I called to make an appointment, she didn't say I had to

Many of the bariatric surgeon websites have lots of informational videos.

I had to attend a seminar before the office would schedule me for an appointment with the surgeon. I'm first meeting him on the 25th. I feel my only question is how fast can you get me to the OR?

The seminar lasted 2 hours and covered most of my questions. They also provided an excellent information packet.

I had met with two surgeons prior to him and learned zero from meeting with them.

You may want to ask what their complication rate is?

Edited by nyteacher125

@@charley27 My first appointment with the surgeon I had gone in thinking I wanted LapBand so we discussed that and he recommended Sleeve instead. I hadn't done as much research on sleeve so I asked some questions about recovery time (specifically how long he recommends being out of work), weight loss expected, complications, etc. He went over my medical history and eating habits. I didn't ask the surgeon all that many questions - but once I met with the Nutritionist I had alot of questions for her.

@@charley27 If you haven't already - ask your insurance what their requirements are to be approved (what do you need before the prior authorization will be given) and get it in writing. This information has been the most problematic for me.