Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it always take 6 months to get a date?

@@Clementine Sky I've heard of this, and it's honesty tempting, but I doubt my husband would go for this option. I'm also sure there's more out of pocket costs? that's another factor for me.

My husband is a physician, and I had anticipated him balking at the idea of me having surgery in Tijuana. He did at first, but then he mulled it over, did some research, and willingly got on board. It's actually quite common for SoCal residents to go to Mexico for medical care because there are qualified surgeons and doctors, and reputable facilities there for a fraction of the cost. My parents are the only other ones who know about it, and they had the same reaction. They became fully supportive once I laid everything out. We live in LA, and the surgeons I consulted with here charge between $29,000 and $35,000 for the VSG. We're relatively young and still paying off his massive med school loans, and it was just too hefty to be feasible. Insurance wasn't going to pay for a cent of it because I didn't meet the criteria with my BMI. If they had covered it, my out of pocket expenses would have been around $5000, and it would have required a minimum of a year to get approved and land a surgery date. My surgery in Mexico was $4200, and that included my hotel stay at the Marriott before and after the surgery, and all medicine. We are just a couple hours away, so we drove down there and back easily. If you're not within a reasonable driving distance, you'll have to factor in the cost of flights. My parents came with me, and we also paid for their hotel room. It was reasonable, and they enjoyed the hotel. They could have stayed in my room at the clinic for free, but they were more comfortable at the Marriott.

My follow up has simply been through my endocrinologist, who was the one who'd suggested the surgery to me because of its ability to help women my size (14 before surgery) and age (early 30s) with fertility. She arranged for me to see a nutritionist who has consulted with bariatric patients who have PCOS. Those costs are covered by my insurance, so my only expenses are my $35 per visit copay.

Edited by Clementine Sky

I went from first visit to surgery in 8 weeks. Could have been sooner but holidays and vacations delayed some of the pre-op testing.

I've got a new goal then! :)

It might move faster if you have some kind of documentation to show you already participated in 6 months of non surgical weight management... I'm hoping that how it will work for me as Summer would be the best time for me to have the surgery as well. This waiting etc.. Is so annoying, what other disease could you have that puts you through all this? I know they say because they want to see your committed to the new lifestyle etc.. Are they will going to know that in 6 months? Doubt it!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

BCBSIL is only covering 80% for me. How did you get them to cover 100%????

Optum/United Healthcare required the 6 mo diet but satisfying the requirement within 2 years before starting the bariatric surgery process would have been acceptable.

I have my first appointment June 1st, honestly, I'd love to get the surgery over the summer (as this is when I have the most help/time off), But.... I doubt this is possible? I have a couple friends who had surgery with the same guy I have a consult with. (A preferred surgeon through my insurance, thus being covered at a higher rate) And she said it took 6 months. She also said if I was to be more flexible with scheduling appointments. (With nutritionist, psychologist, etc.) It could go faster. But how much faster?

All depend the insurance , the doctors ,my first appointment was February 12 my last appointment was May 17 my surgery date is June 2 , I got the approved letter from my insurance two week ago , all depends

I was told 6 months, and I'm looking at 9! I did everything asked of me within 4 weeks; labs, sleep study, got CPAP machine, support group meetings, etc., but getting appointments with the NUT 3x, getting appointment with psych (2x cancelled last minute on me,) trying to meet surgeon (he cancelled last minute on me for emergency surgery,) honestly, it's taken SO long and it's SO annoying.

I was hoping for March-June, have a tentative date (pending insurance approval -- that BCBS lost and wasted ANOTHER 3 weeks on in delays,) and now it looks like August 1st may be the date -- exactly when I didn't want it, but I'll suck it up and take it because I'm so ready to have it done.

I see some people decide to do it, bang out everything within a month, and are approved and sleeved a week later! Amazing to me! I'm totally jealous.

P.S. The ONLY bright side I see to waiting for 8/1 as a potential surgery date is that New Year's Day will be my 6-month anniversary, and I think that's a very cool date. I think starting 2017 off 60+lbs lighter will be AMAZING.

That's me making lemonade out of lemons. I'm still a totally impatient Type A person who would have preferred a random day in March, LOL.