Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing Myself!

Hi! My surgeon's office recommended this board. They say that people who get lap-banded and take advantage of a "support network" on-line or in person have a greater success rate. So here I am, to take advantage of all of you. :)

I was banded November 23rd. Mostly I feel better, although I have some pain where the port is located and when bending or stretching. I'm also really sick of cream of chicken Soup, and it hasn't even been five days! Ack! I have another 9 days of the liquid diet (after a 2-day clear diet), then two weeks of 'pureed' solids, then soft solids, then solids. I feel like I could eat solids now. I swallow my Vitamins and everything just fine.

The only odd thing I've noticed so far is that sometimes, particularly when I haven't eaten for awhile, my stomach gives this kind of heave (not like I'm sick, more like a strangled hiccough) and it feels like the air gets caught in my chest and it aches for a few seconds then subsides. Could this be acid coming up but not quite reaching the top? I never taste any acid (it doesn't get that far), and I don't feel like I'm going to toss my Cookies (not that I'm eating any). It's just an uncomfortable feeling for a moment.

But I figure if that remains my biggest problem, I'll consider myself lucky. I'm down eight pounds so far, which I realize is common in the first week of any 'weight loss program,' but a few people said they can already see it in my face, which is kind of nice!

Also, my doctor's nutrition guide says "no straws." Any idea why we can't have straws?

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know all of you and following your progress. I've already read a lot of your posts before adding mine. You seem like a nice group!

Cat

aka ShrinkingViolet

Welcome Cat! Be sure to read, read, read all the posts so you'll be familiar with things that may or may not come along with being banded. That 'wretching' thing you are describing is quite common with the band. Sometimes I get it whether I have eaten or not, but IF I am eating at the time, it's one of my first signs of fullness - so be aware. :)

I have heard about the 'straw' rule, also . It's been said using straws causes more gas/air bubbles. Personally, I use straws all the time and find that I can consume more liquids IF I do use them. Either way, ask your dr for his/her reasoning and always follow their rules.

Good luck and welcome to LBT, your dr was right. There are some great, caring folks here and it is a very 'down to earth' place to share and support one another.

I appreciate the good wishes. :D

Jack, you are so smart building up a support system before the surgery and learning about peoples' experiences with the band so you know what to expect! I only looked at the "official" literature and read some statistical studies; I neglected to explore the 'patient' side of things.

The band's success rate in the US is not as good as it is in Europe, and I've been trying to figure out why and worrying that I won't be able to make mine successful. In looking at Inamed's literature, people with diabetes have significantly lower rates of success. I am borderline diabetic (definitely insulin resistant), so I'm a little scared of going through this and not losing weight. But I don't have unrealistic expectations either. If I get to 230, I'd be accepting and to 200, I'd be thrilled.

It's funny...I remember as a skinny teenager when 150 seemed "huge" and now, 200 seems..."wow." :)

Cat, congratulations on getting your band! Please follow your surgeon's post op rules about what to eat and when. It's very important to let that band get "seated" and not run food through too soon - to avoid later problems. You will get feeling better every day! And you won't fail! Really!