Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Same mindset...help

Hey everyone!

After your wls did you immediately eat healthy all the time? I know I should be making healthy choices and I plan to put forth more effort. However, I am 2 weeks and 4 days post sleeve and I'm able to eat whatever I want (not as much of course) but I can still eat bad food/fast food.

I know this makes no sense, but I think I thought my brain would just switch and I would be this new healthy person who would never eat fries, chips or bread...yea, that didn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@beylove if you could figure out how to make that happen with surgery - you'd be a billionaire! ;-). Honestly - WLS is just a tool - you have to do the work! You should not be eating as you did in the past or your sleeve won't work. Follow your Program - it's really important! You could end up with significant complications.

Edited by KristenLe

How do you know that you can eat whatever you want? Aren't you following your post-op food plan? I didn't put anything in my mouth that was not on my approved list in the weeks and months after surgery.

If you are deviating from your plan this early then you are risking set backs and complications.

Do you have a counselor or therapist you can talk to? I highly recommend you make an appointment.

I don't have a lot of experience, as I am only 5 days post op. But, for me, yes I am making good choices. I think a part of that stems from being restricted to a full Fluid diet for 4 weeks, and then pureed foods for another 4 weeks. In this beginning stage I am limited to what I can and can't have and I am determined to follow my surgeons rules, because if I don't I risk damaging myself. I think part of the diet is to re educate your taste buds, but the other part of it is mental. You have to want it bad enough to be able to continuously make good choices, even after restrictions are lifted.

I'm not saying your surgeon is wrong, I know everyone has different pre and post op plans, but I am surprised you are cleared for food already. Good luck with your journey!

Did you have a "MD supervised diet" regimen before surgery? That is the time when you were supposed to learn how to eat healthier.

I suggest that you make an appointment with your team's Nut., and therapist.

This journey you are just beginning on is long and winding. To start out without a "roadmap" is just asking to get "lost".

I hope you make the appointments in the morning.

Prayers going up for you, friend.

I am 2 weeks and 4 days post sleeve and I'm able to eat whatever I want (not as much of course) but I can still eat bad food/fast food.

I know this makes no sense, but I think I thought my brain would just switch and I would be this new healthy person who would never eat fries, chips or bread...yea, that didn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wait, what? Just what are you eating 2.5 weeks postop? Did you not begin to make any changes in your diet preop?

As has been posted here many, many times, you had surgery on your stomach, not on your head. nevertheless, you need to use your head. You need to follow your surgeon's instructions for a LOT of reasons, not the least of which is that you can cause yourself harm "testing" your new sleeve before it is ready.

I'm only now testing things I love but wasn't sure my sleeve would like (pickles, yay!) and I'm more than two months out.

If you weren't prepared to make a serious commitment to changing your eating habits, I wonder why you had surgery in the first place.

Half the battle with weight loss is between the ears whether you've had surgery or not. One has to get your thinking right...just cause one has wls you got to still put the effort in to be successful!

Sent from my SM-G730V using the BariatricPal App

I only read a few of the comments, and so many of them were wagging their fingers at you that I felt the need to step forward with some genuine moral support. The surgery does a lot to help support our goals of losing weight. It restricts the amount of food we can take into our bodies at a time, it removes the part of the stomach that makes the hunger hormones, which is also the part of the stomach that stretches. Is made to stretch. The rest of the equation, is our personal responsibility.

That said, if your only source of information are bariatric forums and your surgeons office, that can create a distorted view of the reality for almost all of us. And the reality is, that just as it always has been, whatever has been compelling us to eat- still must be contended with.

You will have good days, and you will have bad days. Some days you will stick very closely to the regimen you believe to be most healthy. And some days, you won't. And this is what you need to remember: if you keep trying you will still lose the weight!

Despite the bullshit you see on forums like these, it is not true that every bariatric patient immediately becomes Jane Fonda. Do not use what you see on these forums as a measuring tape for your personal progress. Because they are bias!

By all means, I think it is wise for us to address the emotional and personal needs that have not been being met, that we have been replacing with food through therapy, movement, spiritual work, etc. But don't let a bunch of strangers on the Internet beat you up because you are normal, you are human, and so are the people who are so quick to correct you.

Things will level out for you. Turn inward and trust yourself a little bit more. You can do this! All of us had the surgery because we felt out of control. It doesn't go away just because of this surgery.

Don't let a bunch of strangers on the Internet make you feel discouraged-anyone who tells you that they have been perfect since surgery long-term is full of it. But you know what? Theyre still losing weight. And being dishonest, or telling a half truths about the struggle after surgery, is driven by shame. Please please please do not let your opinions of your progress be affected by what other people claim has been their journey. Yours is unique to you!

Edited by JupiterinVirgo