Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved in April anyone got exercise tips

Hi everyone I was sleeved on April 4th 2016 I'm feeling terrific so far lost 16kg starting weight was 100.7 now today I'm 84.7kg have heaps of energy but bored of walking and my local gym when I asked them to give me a plan that would help me tone after gastric sleeve they looked confused. Dr has told me I'm fine to work out just to make sure nothing to strenuous on the abdominal area but want to tone my arm and legs does anyone know any safe ideas or places I could look into going I'm in Mandurah/ rockingham area thankyou

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

You probably need to hire a personal trainer. I joined Lifetime Fitness and hired a personal trainer and I go everyday now. I meet with my personal trainer an average of 6 days a week, 1 hour a day. It runs around $6k a month but it is well worth it. I also go to the gym sometimes up to twice a day, one of those times is by myself and not meeting with my personal trainer.

Walking is really one of the best exercises because it brings big benefits, with low risk of acute or chronic injury, it can be done anywhere without needing to waste time traveling to the site, and you don't need much equipment, just quality, comfortable shoes.

Also very good are cycling and swimming. Both smooth motions with low injury potential, and can be done in endurance, sprint or mixed modes.

If you're going to use specialized exercises in the gym, I'd only say to be sure you hit all the major muscle groups a little bit - do just one set of each of a variety of exercises, making sure you hit both biceps and triceps, shoulders and chest, quadriceps and hamstrings, calves, and then trunk/core. I was advised to avoid any exercises stressing the abs for at least 6 weeks though.

Hi Barry, yes my doc said no ab work for a while longer but arms and legs would be fine I have a lot of equipment already at home from my hubby just need to learn how to properly use them

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I don't know what equipment you have, but a basic regimen I am using at the gym now that I have recently started going back is:

- curls (bicep)

- either lat pulldowns (bicep/trapezius/lats) or rows (bicep/trapezius)

- bench press (shoulders and pecs)

- fly (shoulders and pecs)

- military press (shoulders and triceps) or tricep extension (triceps)

- leg extensions (quads)

- leg curls (hamstrings)

- leg adbduction (hips/butt)

- leg adduction (hips/inner thigh)

- toe raises (calves) at 3 positions of foot alignment

- abdominal curl/crunch in machine (abs)

- abdominal extension in machine (lower back)

From the mat:

- leg raises (abs)

- crunches (abs)

- side leg raises (butt and thigh)

- supine trunk twisting w/bent legs (lower back flexibility)

- standing trunk twisting (lower back flexibility)

- toe (or as far as you can go ;-)) touching (lower back and hamstring flexibility)

- overhead stretch (upper back and shoulder flexibility)

Not saying that you need to do these things, there are lots of options, but this covers the body fairly well and gives some muscle work as well as flexibility work.

I am older - 56, and I spent 15 years as a young man reading about and doing weightlifting, and another thing I'd suggest is that while muscleheads and trainers, especially young ones say "no-pain/no-gain!" and also advise one to choose a heavier weight allowing you to do no more than 8 reps to build maximum strength.... if you are older, maybe dealing with some injuries, aren't that flexible, or just haven't been exercising, I would say absolutely do not do that. Choosing a weight that allows you to do 15-20 reps before exhaustion will still allow you to build strength and build muscles, but (1) you'll have more endurance, which is helpful in practical situations, and (2) your likelihood of herniating or tearing a muscle, or tearing or even snapping a tendon, will be a lot lower too. The pain of lactic acid burn is one thing, but the pain of an injury is something else.

Edited by Barry W

Look into beach body workouts if you want to avoid an expensive gym membership. There are videos geared for men and women and different fitness goals. Also many of the are 90 day programs which give you a timeframe to see your progress. I have used chalene extreme, 21 day fix and body beast. They are all great programs.