Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you get used to OUNCES of food?

I am trying to get approved by my insurance for banding and I am curious about something. I notice a lot of people speak about food on ounces. My question is, are you weighing your food or are you eyeballing the ounces? How do you know 4oz or chicken from 5oz? Many people say "Only drink 3oz sips of water" or "I eat 6oz of tuna for dinner". Is it just something you get used to knowing? If my doctor tells me to eat a certain amount I want to make sure I do but I can't figure out how everyone knows their food in ounces. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

I have done so much with measuring for different diets that I can now eyeball very close to the right amount that I am looking for. It did take a little practice to get to this point though. I've used a food scale, measuring cups, etc......you will get used to it:)

Ok so Im not one of those people who is good as estimating things. Anything from feet to weight, I'm always way off. That being said, I can not look at a hunk of food and be like yah thats about right...haha. I bought a food scale for like 20 bucks and do use it, but mostly I just cook dinner or lunch or whatever for myslef and make a normal person's recipe, and then eat out of a small bowl until I get full. I dont let myself gets 2nds of any carb. Leftovers are for another meal, which I do because I hate cooking, and the less I have to cook, the better.

I do think that many people can "eyeball" things, but I can not, so I wouldnt depend just on this :)

Good Luck:D

In the stores, Walmart or anywhere they have these magnets that tell you the conversions between how many Oz equals what size Cup and other measurements sometimes too.

Examples:

1 Oz= 1/8 Cup

2 Oz= 1/4 Cup

4 Oz= 1/2 Cup

...and so on and so on.

Usually you can find it in the section with the cooking utensils. They also have inexpensive food scales if you needed to weigh your food. After using these for a little while I'm sure it will be like second nature.

I bought this scale and absolutely love it. Yesterday for lunch I had 3 oz grilled chicken and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese ... doesn't seem like much, but it helps me to use very small bowls & plates because it gives off the appearance of having more food than there actually is, sorta like playing a trick on my mind ... that way when I'm finished, I'm convinced that I just ate a "whole" plate of food and don't need anymore. :)