Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psyche eval and anti depression meds

I'm nervous that I might not get approved for the surgery by the psychiatrist that I see because I have a history of depression, anxiety and am a recovering addict. I've even been hospitalized for attempted suicide and once for drug induced psychosis. (Not the proudest moment in my life, needless to say.) This all happened years ago and I am on an anti depressant and an anti bipolar medicine that has stabilized my mood. I haven't been depressed or suicidal or used drugs since 2012. But what if they ask me about depression, prior drug use and hospitalization. Or if they get all my medical information and this causes them to fail me. Not sure what to do.

The main purpose of the evaluation is to determine whether a person understands the risks of surgery (and all surgeries have risk); is motivated to lose weight and feels positive about it; is capable of understanding and following instructions of the surgeon and others in the surgery practice both before and after surgery; understands that surgery provides a tool that must be put to work rather than being a magical solution. In other words, the evaluator wants to see if you're clear on what you want and what you're taking on. Not a big deal.

Lots of people with mental health and other concerns pass the evaluation. It's to your great advantage that you are in treatment, as it signals to the evaluator that you take your well-being seriously. It's even more to your advantage that your prescriptions work for you.

Some evaluations are quick and simple, while others are quite detailed and yet others fall between. Mine consisted of sitting for a few minutes with my own psychotherapist (a Ph.D.) while she wrote a seven-sentence letter. Other BP participants describe a more complicated rigmarole; I'm sure at least a couple will stop by to tell you about their experiences. You can also find lots topics on the subject by using the search bar near the top right corner of the screen (just above the blue "new content" button.

Most important, stay calm. shake your shoulders and arms to loosen them. The appointment will be far easier than many other things you've been through. Come back afterward to let us know how it went.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Please be honest with the Psych people. They're only trying to make sure you're a good candidate. If they have concerns - they'll want you to address them before having a life altering surgery.

Thank you so much! I feel a little better now! I'm going to utilize the search engine on here and look for other posts pertaining to this. Thanks again!

I take an anti-depressant for anxiety/depression and it had no bearing on my approval. I was a night eater (or what they classify as "binge" eater) and had to take a support group program for 4 weeks. I don't really think it addressed my issues, but I'm working on it myself and I'm doing pretty good with it. It helps that my hunger just isn't there all the time, and not that I necessarily ate just because I was hungry, sometimes it was just boredom, It still helps that I'm not always looking for food to graze on.

You'll be fine. Just be honest.

You will be fine I had all the same problems. My psychologist and psychiatrist would not do my evaluation they said it is a conflict of interest. So I had to find another one to get approved. And I was honest about my past drug use as well as my anxiety and depression. I did denie ever being suicidal. But I didn't have to tell any of it. But they will ask how long ago you did drugs and how much.

Don't worry but it was also my biggest fear. And I got approved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Just be completely honest and do your best to relax. They will ask about your current medication and medication history as well as any eating related disorders or psych diagnosis of yourself and your family history. They will also ask how you dealt with these situations in your past. The point of the psych eval is to make sure if you are mentally prepared and have realistic expectations, and to assess your social support or barriers. If for some reason they recommend additional therapy sessions, remember that it's to help you become better prepared and ready for your future procedure. Best of luck! bmi.png

Edited by jea(n__n)ette

You will be fine I had all the same problems. My psychologist and psychiatrist would not do my evaluation they said it is a conflict of interest. So I had to find another one to get approved. And I was honest about my past drug use as well as my anxiety and depression. I did denie ever being suicidal. But I didn't have to tell any of it. But they will ask how long ago you did drugs and how much.

Don't worry but it was also my biggest fear. And I got approved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Whew! You made me feel much better! Thank you so much!

Awesome!! Thank you! ^_^

I am a type-2 bipolar with anxiety (treated) who also does emotional and boredom eating. I was between psychiatrists at the time because my prior one was an idiot so I saw one of the psychologists my surgery site recommended to have my eval done.

His eval required me to take six different tests regarding my personality, how I approached eating, and my history. I take tests very quickly so it took me about an hour but he planned for three hours. Afterward we sat down and talked about the test results, my history with my mental illness, my family history, my eating habits, and my expectations of surgery.

I was cleared by him for surgery but with the suggestions of becoming settled with a new psychiatrist for at least two months and seeing a psychologist/therapist for at least three visits regarding the emotional and boredom eating. He gave me suggested persons for both, whom I am now seeing regularly.

It's really not that bad, honest. Just takes a chunk of time and money.

Ok, cool. I feel much more relieved now =) thank you!