Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone morbidly obese and considering the gastric sleeve?

Hey y'all. New to this! Seeing my pcp on Monday to start my 6 month documented non surgical weight loss that's required by my insurance. Also getting referred to see my bariatric Doctor probably then as well. I'm ready for this! I'm 32, 430 lbs 5'6" wife and mom of 4! Whew that's a mouth full. This is the first time I have ever announced my weight. My own husband doesn't even know how much I weigh. I'm ready for the VSG! I'm hoping that there isn't too much of a weight loss requirement for surgery. I've always struggled with dropping lbs. I can get 15lbs off and then i stall, majorly.

How did y'all get thru the 6 month pre op waiting and dieting?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I guess I need to clarify my topic. I was asking because some doctors actually require a person to get the gastric bypass procedure done instead of the sleeve if your a certain weight. So I was asking with that in mind. I'm well aware of the requirements to have the sleeve done because I'm in the process of trying to figure out what will work best for me. :)

It depends on the Dr. My Dr only does the sleeve, no bypass. If you are young and active, you can lose a lot with the sleeve which is almost word for word what my doctor told me. He said they save the Bypass for older people who aren't going to be as active.

I picked the sleeve because I felt it was the least invasive and traumatic. The lapband requires a foreign object in your body and constant Dr visits. Drs like the lapband because it is constant lifetime residual income for them. I am sure they can put a kid through college just on fills, or maybe get a nice boat. The Bypass involves touching the intestines. There are just too many things that can go wrong with that, and I wasn't willing to take the risk. I also didn't want to deal with a lifetime of malabsorption. It makes it too hard to take oral medications and keep your Vitamins up. I felt the sleeve was the perfect middle ground. I also knew if I really failed with the sleeve down the road, that I could always added the DS option (even though I probably wouldn't because of touching the intestines), but that option is there.

The sleeve is safer for larger patients because it is faster than bypass. That is why on really large people they do the sleeve first with the option to revise to something else later.

You don't have to let a Doctor pick your surgery for you. I went to a Dr that only did the sleeve, because I only wanted the sleeve. I had no interest in the Bypass. If you want a sleeve, then tell them you want a sleeve, if they won't do a sleeve find another Doctor. You have to live in your body, not the Doctor. They dice you up once and they are off to the next surgery.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I am tossing up sleeve vs bypass. My last app is the 25th, one week from tomorrow ???? can't wait. The 6 month wait is killer it actually went quick though, this past month has taken forever it seems. I have to lose 8lbs by then so I'm at least the same weight that I started off with.

☆Jeni☆

I am tossing up sleeve vs bypass. My last app is the 25th, one week from tomorrow can't wait. The 6 month wait is killer it actually went quick though, this past month has taken forever it seems. I have to lose 8lbs by then so I'm at least the same weight that I started off with.

☆Jeni☆

You have to lose 8 more lbs? Was there a required amount of weight you had to lose?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@twinmom2015, no I just started this thing at 312.5 n right now I'm at 320. So I wanna get back down at least to where I was so there is no reason for ins to deny me. Just a personal preference. They did say if you gained you could be denied I just don't wanna try em ya know.

Me! I haven't met with me surgeon yet, but after doing my research, I believe this is the option I'm most comfortable with.