Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have significant Pain 3 weeks out?

Did anyone have significant pain after 2 weeks? I had a hiatal hernia removed at the same time as my surgery. I don't know what is considered normal.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm sorry it is only 2 weeks out

Edited by coler

Have you called your surgeon?

Has your pain been constant, every day since your surgery or just came on?

In any case, if it was happening to me, I would be on the phone to my surgeon ASAP!

The only increasing pain I had was my worsening gastric reflux.

I called my surgeon, saw him ASAP, and got a different script, the new med has been working well for me.

Good luck, and please call your surgeon.

I've already had a refill on the pain meds once and feel weird asking again seeing as I'm running out. They only give you a few days worth every time. The pain has been constant but the pain meds have been helping but as I started to run low I started spreading the time out more and more in between and now it is becoming intolerable again. I know some people are fine and others that I spoke to had to be on pain meds for a month. I don't know what is normal. Every time I speak to surgeon he says it depends on people's pain tolerance. But that where my pain is seems to be consistent with the hiatal hernia repair..

Sorry to hear that.

Has the surgeon explained what exactly is causing this pain?

Sure, people have different pain thresholds, but more important is the root cause of the pain.

There are so many variables, the dangerous ones are: infection, leaks, and

I hope that this is not your case!

I never had a hernia repair, so I don't know much about it.

Only gastric sleeve.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks so much. He seems to think it is the hernia repair that is causing the pain. I was vomiting the first few nights after surgery because of it. The pain is always same location which is high and in the middle where the hernia was. I'm getting fluids down and started puréed foods today. I got 2 tablespoons of ricotta bake down and felt like that was a win though I'm not going to lie, it isn't comfortable. I had started to feel like there was a light but as I spread out the pain meds more and more and take less and less the pain is returning to a really uncomfortable painful level. I hate feeling like a big baby :) how far out after surgery are you?

I'm 2.5 weeks out. I had a sleeve and small hiatal hernia repair. I travel for work and felt good enough to travel at day 10, but taking things slowly. I'm still on the road, but having more and more pain when I try to eat OR drink. My pain is on the right chest and searing. I ate 1 TBSP of oatmeal for Breakfast yesterday and sipping apple juice seemed to work so I did that all day. Water, or any liquid causes me to burp no matter how small the sip. By the time I got to the hotel last night I was really hungry and had some broth. The pain was intense and I threw up 3 times. After the last one, I was empty and the pain diminished. I slept 12 hours. I have a call in again to my surgeon (I missed his call-back 2 nights ago) and hopefully I'll hear something. I was very close to going to the ER last night.

I'm pretty sure my problem is from the last minute hiatal hernia repair and not the sleeve. (I didn't have time to research it and just thought it was a routine thing, but know differently now)

Anyone out there have right side chest pain? Trouble drinking or eating? Lots of burping, gurgling?

My pain seems be mid upper breaths bone area to be all left sided and traveling into shoulder. I ate ricotta bake and had a similar response. I called dr today because I have to start back at work tomorrow. The pain I'm having is very localized hurts all the time but more pain when eat and drink. I had a few good days followed by a few pretty awful days. @@rhansen7 pain makes me vomit as well. Utter exhaustion for past few days. Lots of burping and gurgling though I thought that was normal in sleeve surgery.

I'm sorry for both of us! I hope someone will have some answers, or maybe when my surgeon calls back.

I just got off the phone with mine. They are going to give me more meds to try, added pain medication and a cat scan to make sure the hiatal hernia repair didn't slip back up. I'll keep you posted.