Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused, Interference From Family and Friends

This is my situation. I work in a hosptial that has a weight loss surgery center. I am a cardiovascular tech, and my sister who an RN, also works in the same hospital. I was set to have the lap band, had no difficulties with insurance approval, and the cost to me was going to be very low. My sister interfered with my decision by voicing her medical opinion about the doctor performing the surgery. She wound up causing a lot of heartache and a fear so great that I was a wreck. However, I was still going to do this, and my husband asked me not to the night before surgery because of what his friends were telling him. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?:help:

There comes a time when we each need to make a decision for ourselves, and no-one else.

Think of this postponement as a protective function from the universe, and try again. Perhaps the surgery will have an even better result if you wait a month. Don't give up and don't despair.

Darr

I haven't but, I did research to choose a doc that I felt was experienced and could do a good job. You're sis might be right about the doc you chose. See who she recommends perhaps?

I haven't had this experience because I didn't really tell anyone I was having the surgery, but I think if you have research the procedure and your doctors reputation and you feel confident and comfortable with your doctor, then it is your decision and you should do what is best for you. Lapband is the single best decision of my life and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I hope things work out for you and keep us informed.

I also need to find a way to deal with the fact that due to this small hospital that I work in, practically everyone knows my business, and they even ask me personal questions about my surgery which is against hospital privacy policy. I am very sensitive and private about my weightloss and the surgery.

How much do you know about your doc? How many bands has he done? What are his stats? What are his erosion stats? Infection stats? What is his aftercare program? When will he do a first fill? What band does he use? He clearly uses Inamed if he is in the US but does he use the 'one size fits all' kind of thinking?

Who trained him? How many of his patients have you talked to? What is his support group like, do you like it there? Are is staff band trained? If you call and talk to the receptionist, is she going to answer your questions or will she have you talk to the doc?

These are just a few of the many questions you should already have answered. If you don't know the answer to the above, your sister might just be right. Do your research and find out for yourself.

Thank you for your reply WASaBubble Butt.

I felt that I knew what I needed to know about my doctor, however, my sister didn't like the post op care or lack of care given by this doctor.

I am sorry, but I have no patience for family/friends butting into my life. I don't go around telling them what they should/should not do, so I expect them to do the same. And I make it very clear to everybody- nicely and politely- that I do not welcome opinions I did not ask for. You do what's best for you, they do what's best for them, and everybody's happy!