Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. My name is Michelle and I come from Columbia SC. I have been obese for most of my life. Although in high school I worked really hard and became thin, for me that was about 148 pounds. When I say I worked hard I mean aerobics class during school and after school. I would drink slim fast for Breakfast and lunch(with Water no milk I didn't want the extra calories). dinner for me was served on a coffee cup saucer. The food couldn't touch the sides or the other food on the plate. When I gained five pounds I freaked out and picked up a karate class unknown to me at the time I was pregnant. :P. I gained more than sixty pounds during that pregnancy and never lost it. Although it is not from lack of trying. I did Form U 3, Physicians weight loss, went to the gym, slim fast, Phen Phen, ect. I was diagnosed three years ago with Polycysticovarian disease, which leads to hyperinsulinemia, and hypothyroidism, and of course depression. The Doctors put me on drug after drug with the promise of "oh the weight should just melt off". NOT...:) I'm bigger now than ever 260 pounds. (That number looks sooo much worse typed out). :cryI hate my life. I feel as if I have hit rock bottom:faint:. But of course there is no where but up from now on right:rolleyes:. Well that is what I keep telling myself. When I started recieving patients a couple of months ago with the lap band I started researching it. My siminar is August 28th. :) I feel content with this. Now I just wish I could hurry and get through the 6 month period. (my insurance says (no pun intended) fat chance of that happening) Another lady that I work with has decided to come to the siminar as well. She has very little family support (my situation is not much better). So we have decided to support each other. I guess sort of band buddies:whoo:. I know this post was long but I just needed to get it out. It's kind of hard to support someone else when your not feeling much better about the situation either. Something has to give.

I feel your pain. I have PCOS too girl_hug.gif. I have all the common problems a person with PCOS has, I'm fat, have hair in places it has no business being, and if thats not bad enough I'm flat chested eek.gif. My PCP actually suggested the band to me, and after a lot of thought and prayer, here I am. I have 2 months left of the supervised diet, and now insurance is requiring 6 months dietician visits. So...... Looks like we have to wait about the same amount of time. 6 months really does go by pretty quick, so hang in there. Just know there is someone here in the same boat your in. Good Luck!!!!

Ang

Good Morning, Michelle! :welcome:

I'm so glad you found LBT! There is so much information and WONDERFUL support here! Spend those 6 months here learning about the band and life after surgery. Use that time to get your head in the right place and maybe start a moderate exercise program. You'll be very well prepared by the time your date rolls around and you'll sail right through!!

Best of luck with your insurance process. Please post often and let us know how we can help support you!

It's a long journey, but it sounds like you are ready to explore it. Nothing is more important than your health. Go for it!

Hi Everyone, I've been here since July, just listening and learning i've done all my tests and I had an egd on Thursday. I'm just waiting on my insurance to give the go head. I'm very lucky I have no major medical problems, except, my feet hurt alot! I appreciate all of you and the struggles everyones going through, it has really helped me alot. The information and sense of human makes it worth the time and effort. Ive been working on tests and everything since April. I'm Excited! I just Hope for approval. Is there anyone similar to me? I'm 5'6,273lbs and i"m 42yrs old. I'm Hoping for the day when nobody asks me when the baby's due!!!!

Welcome,

I know the feeling....It is not easy being overweight both physically and emotionally. I was recently banded and just started my journey. I know it won't be easy but my health is so worth it.

Take care girlie.

The rocks at the bottom will crumble to dust and for you a new life will bloom up. Taller, with pride, and more beautiful with a sunny smile. I'm glad you have a warm buddy to share with. Please remember us E (mail) buddies, too. We'll want updates. Good luck. Dylan

Hang in there. I went through the same thing. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago and then the anxiety and depression set in. One med after another and with each one, I was gaining 20lbs. It was unreal to see myself blow up like that. As sad as I was about it, I would eat to make me feel better. My lowest was 137 in 2000 and here I was 219 in 2007.........unbelievable. I started looking into the Lap Band in May. Went for the seminar and then started everything right away. I work in the schools so wanted to have it done over the summer. To my suprise, everything went very quickly and I got banded on Aug. 10th. My insurance has been wonderful and approved it right away. I had my endocronologist write me a letter stating that I have under his care for years for all of this and the weight and they took that as my 6 month supervised weight loss. I also had my gynecologist write me a letter as well stating the same thing and that they felt the surgery was medically appropriate for me to live a healthy life. It really helped because I sent them to my insurance directly before the doctors got a chance. They knew it was coming so by the time the surgical coordinator put in the pre-determination, it took less than 3 weeks to approve. I found out two days before my surgery that i was good to go. Hang in there and be proactive. You have to make things happen. Good luck to you!

You didn't say what kind of 6-month "wait" you're going to do. If your insurance company requires you to "diet" for 6 months prior to its paying for your WLS, please consider getting off "all white foods." No bread, spuds, rice, etc. I found personally, that my PCOS was relieved by a low refined carb way of eating. Sugar was my enemy. Bleached flours and high glycemic foods were my enemy.

Your mood will improve once you get through the detox. My depression was all blood-sugar related! Your health will improve and you'll be able to mae it that 6 months in a happier state of mind.

Congrats on starting your journey and welcome to this forum (my new favorite haunt)!

Darr

I can't Wait until I can say I'm banded, please keep me posted on your day to day. I'll have abetter idea what I'm in for. THANKS..

oh look at all the replies!!!:clap2: It has been awhile since that post. Heres goes the update.... Went to the siminar on Tuesday (with my band buddy, also found another co-worker at the same siminar). Today I was able to call and get and apt. It turns out my band buddy "L" and the other lady I work with "M" all have the the same apt. for the education part of the process!!!!:whoo: It's going to be October 15th. We were told that we could potentially have surgery in December or January. Waving the six month waiting period for the insurance (the three of us have the same insurance). When I told my husband today he was excited(now he's getting motivated).

As far as the diet changes. Thank you all for the advice. I have for several years stopped the white bread intake and do only wheat breads. I have even been switching our pasta's over to wheat Pasta. I have cut the red meat consumption down to 2 maybe 3 occasions a week and have almost completley stopped eating pork products. Increased the veggie intake although I don't do so well with fruits, and I have started some lite Yoga through the week (got to get the mind right too). I have worked really hard to stop dairy intake switching for soy milk or just avoiding it all together (I take a muti-vit with calcium). I've even stopped buying Cereal and started buying Kashi products Cereal and bars. :hungry: I feel better about myself and am greatly anticipating the band for the umph. I'm going to find that counter and start the stats tonight.

The only thing that really makes me nervous is having to be put under for the surgery. I can deal with the pain, but the fear of the ET tube(endotracheal) and the vent (ventilator) just scars the hell out of me. I'm not going to let it stop me from moving forward but still....

Thank you all for the replies. I needed that extra boost.:(

Hi there!

Boy, you've had a rough time of it! Hang in there--the 6 months will fly by.

The surgery went well for me and the band has been a huge help!

Good luck!