Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Musings & Questions - mostly nutrition related

I'm going to apologize in advance for the ramblingness of this post! I've got so much going on in my head right now, so I figured I'd just throw it all out there at once...

1) Is it normal that the NUT who clears you for surgery isn't the one you'll do all of your pre- and post-op appointments with? I won't see the woman I met with yesterday until 3 months after surgery.

2) Why are distractions while eating bad? She was VERY against me eating while watching TV, but she never told me why. I live alone and have never (nor have any plans to) set my dining room table for one and sat there eating alone.

3) Have any of you had a NUT recommend Boost over Premier Protein? There are so many more calories in Boost that I want to run far far from it. But she was very concerned that I wouldn't get enough calories after surgery (she even suggested I don't drink the Zero Carb Isopure drinks because they don't have enough calories... even though they have the same as Premier Protein).

4) Is it normal for me to feel like I don't have anything concrete to go on at this stage? I've only been to the consultations, and suggestions about diet were given to me, but I have no specific plan to follow and no goal to meet. Will those come later after final approval and a date is set?

I think that's all... for now.

I would imagine the thing about tv might be so you pay attention to what you're eating and not on the tv. But I've never heard that before. For me I NEED to eat while doing something else otherwise I eat too fast

#1 - I would think you would have the same NUT through out. I find they often have some different advice/opinions.

#2 - it is so you are mindfully eating and taking your time and paying attention to when you are full. I was told the same - however I don't even have a dining room so that's not happening. Just be mindful when eating.

#3 - I was given a list of preferred shakes and they were all low calorie - high Protein - low carb. I wouldn't go with Boost. My NUT told me not to worry about calories right now and to concentrate on protein and fluids.

#4 - I don't have much concrete yet either. I'm assuming I'll get a manual closer to surgery.

Ask questions - I found my NUT responsive to questions but didn't give me the info unsolicited.

I'm going to apologize in advance for the ramblingness of this post! I've got so much going on in my head right now, so I figured I'd just throw it all out there at once...

1) Is it normal that the NUT who clears you for surgery isn't the one you'll do all of your pre- and post-op appointments with? I won't see the woman I met with yesterday until 3 months after surgery.

2) Why are distractions while eating bad? She was VERY against me eating while watching TV, but she never told me why. I live alone and have never (nor have any plans to) set my dining room table for one and sat there eating alone.

3) Have any of you had a NUT recommend Boost over Premier Protein? There are so many more calories in Boost that I want to run far far from it. But she was very concerned that I wouldn't get enough calories after surgery (she even suggested I don't drink the Zero Carb Isopure drinks because they don't have enough calories... even though they have the same as Premier Protein).

4) Is it normal for me to feel like I don't have anything concrete to go on at this stage? I've only been to the consultations, and suggestions about diet were given to me, but I have no specific plan to follow and no goal to meet. Will those come later after final approval and a date is set?

I think that's all... for now.

I'm still very new to this but I can only tell you what I know from what I've been through so far so here it goes...

1) I had 2 nutritionists. The first one was just to go over the basics and make sure that I had some basic knowledge of nutrition but I will never have to see that one again. She has nothing to do with the surgeon but I was required to see her anyway. The other nutritionist is one that works under my surgeon and she is the one that I go to now if I have any questions/concerns about my nutrition.

2) The reason your nutritionist said "no distractions" is because when we are sitting there watching a movie/show then we don't really pay attention to our food and just shovel it in. One minute you have a full bag of popcorn and the next minute it's gone and you don't even remember eating it all. Just has something to do with our brain. If we are focused on only our food, we are more aware of how much we are eating and how fast we are eating it.

3) My nutritionists both recommended Premier shakes OR shakes/mixes that are for bariatric patients because they are lower in sugar and higher in the things we need. The other brands tend to be pretty high in sugar (Special K for instance).

I've had 3 NUTs. The first one went back to school. The other 2 both suck.

I think Boost is ridiculous.

Boost is what is usually prescribed for anorexics so they can gain weight. In the first few weeks after surgery, your primary focus should be on getting in enough Protein and fluids, calories are a secondary consideration. You will have so little room early out, getting enough protein and fluids is going to be hard enough. My surgeon suggested Premier Protein and other lower carb/sugar options.

people who eat in front of the TV tend to mindlessly eat. HOWEVER, you have to do what is best for you. in the early days, when I was waiting 5 minutes to take the next bite? I ate in front of the TV, even handed my plate to my husband sometimes if I feel I am eating to quickly. I have a large family. it doesn't matter *where* I eat, I am going to be distracted, so that is why I have to carefully portion out my food and Snacks for the day. even at work I am pretty often interrupted.

So weird question are these nutritionists or registered dieticians?

After reading these forums and seeing what weird/wrong/horrible advice folks are saying their nutritionist tells them. I did some research anyone with a few classes can be a nutritionist but registered dieticians have to have a 2 or 4 year degree. It seems like some of these folks are quacks, one post said their nutritionist recommended that they drink milkshakes to make up calories etc. I know the story is second hand but it just makes me wonder. I know there are great nutritionists out there that know their stuff it does worry me that there are people that don't know anything giving such bad advice.

That's a good question... I'm not sure where I put her card, but she definitely called herself a dietician. I wasn't super impressed with her, but the one I'll do all of the "classes" with was raved about by my surgeon and his other folks. So I'm hoping I have a better experience with her!