Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 16th surgery buddies?.....Let's do this together!

They should be coming to get me for my swallow test soon. Once the results are read I am supposed to be going home. Dr has already been by around 7:30. I honestly feel pretty close to normal. Pain meds are working; only really hurts when I'm coughing or during standing up. The broth they gave me this morning tastes like mushrooms. I like mushrooms but the jury is still out on the broth.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Coming out of anesthesia was rough and lots of pain from the gas. Feeling much better this morning and on zero pain meds. I'd rather feel the soreness as the meds make me feel too weird.

So far doing well with Clear Liquids and no hunger pangs.

I hope everyone's surgery day went well!

Good luck cc70. You'll be out before you know it and relieved to have it behind you. Sending positive thoughts.

Today is the day after my surgery. I had a really rough time recovering from the anesthesia was put on morphine really quick. Gas pains and soreness is real. This whole recovery process so far is more painful than I thought it would be :( I've been drugged up most of the time pushing my morphine drip every 15 minutes or so. liquids are tough going down. Literally only half a teaspoon everytime. Trying to stay positive here in the hospital watching movies etc.

-reporting from Los Angeles, CA kaiser permanente

Anyone get released today? Not me - have to stay another day to try to get my fluids up. Still have a lot of stomach acid and gas discomfort but feel better otherwise. Walking for longer distances. Have a terrible new roommate! Sigh. Hope day 2 is better for everyone, esp those like me who had a rough first day.

I'm thrilled to say that I'm home and sipping a cup of green tea with lemon. Everything went like clockwork and I had the most charming anaesthetist who came to tell me I had a really strong heart! The first night I slept very fitfully and was interrupted constantly by the nursing staff checking on me and giving me small amounts of Water to sip. Yesterday I was able to have a shower first thing, the best thing in the world at that point. I had a pump for the pain but apparently used very little. The most painful part was the incision with the drain. I was given a menu for lunch dinner and Breakfast, not a menu as you would know it really. I chose to have consommé which was lightly disguised vegetable water. So this morning my surgeon popped in and asked if I wanted to go home, did I have someone to look after me etc. So here I am. Virtually pain free and feeling rather chipper, long may it last. Finally I must give a shout out for the nursing staff who were all marvellous. Let's hope we all continue to recover well and good luck to those still waiting.

I'm home now and the abdominal pain is pretty extreme.....I have a hard time standing up straight. I also have a lot of gas pain in my chest.....I'm having an awful time getting in my Water and protein.....We got home yesterday about 3:00 and while I was home I was only able to drink about 10 oz of water and only 4 oz of a Protein drink.....the heartburn is what kept be from being able to drink more. I hope today will be better.......they gave me Omeprazole to take but the instructions say to open the capsule and sprinkle it over pudding or yogurt........I'm on Clear Liquids until tomorrow! But I did take a small spoon ful of yogurt and sprinkled the pill over it and took it like that......also having a hard time sleeping, hense me posting on here before 3 am EST/

I'm thrilled to say that I'm home and sipping a cup of green tea with lemon. Everything went like clockwork and I had the most charming anaesthetist who came to tell me I had a really strong heart! The first night I slept very fitfully and was interrupted constantly by the nursing staff checking on me and giving me small amounts of Water to sip. Yesterday I was able to have a shower first thing, the best thing in the world at that point. I had a pump for the pain but apparently used very little. The most painful part was the incision with the drain. I was given a menu for lunch dinner and Breakfast, not a menu as you would know it really. I chose to have consommé which was lightly disguised vegetable water. So this morning my surgeon popped in and asked if I wanted to go home, did I have someone to look after me etc. So here I am. Virtually pain free and feeling rather chipper, long may it last. Finally I must give a shout out for the nursing staff who were all marvellous. Let's hope we all continue to recover well and good luck to those still waiting

I'm home now and the abdominal pain is pretty extreme.....I have a hard time standing up straight. I also have a lot of gas pain in my chest.....I'm having an awful time getting in my water and protein.....We got home yesterday about 3:00 and while I was home I was only able to drink about 10 oz of water and only 4 oz of a Protein drink.....the heartburn is what kept be from being able to drink more. I hope today will be better.......they gave me Omeprazole to take but the instructions say to open the capsule and sprinkle it over pudding or yogurt........I'm on clear liquids until tomorrow! But I did take a small spoon ful of yogurt and sprinkled the pill over it and took it like that......also having a hard time sleeping, hense me posting on here before 3 am EST/

Oh that's not good, I do hope you feel better soon. I'm still on clear fluids only until Friday when I can introduce some protein. I think I've been incredibly lucky not to have gas pain or heartburn. Now off the computer and try and get some sleep.< /p>

I'm thrilled to say that I'm home and sipping a cup of green tea with lemon. Everything went like clockwork and I had the most charming anaesthetist who came to tell me I had a really strong heart! The first night I slept very fitfully and was interrupted constantly by the nursing staff checking on me and giving me small amounts of water to sip. Yesterday I was able to have a shower first thing, the best thing in the world at that point. I had a pump for the pain but apparently used very little. The most painful part was the incision with the drain. I was given a menu for lunch dinner and breakfast, not a menu as you would know it really. I chose to have consommé which was lightly disguised vegetable water. So this morning my surgeon popped in and asked if I wanted to go home, did I have someone to look after me etc. So here I am. Virtually pain free and feeling rather chipper, long may it last. Finally I must give a shout out for the nursing staff who were all marvellous. Let's hope we all continue to recover well and good luck to those still waiting

I'm home now and the abdominal pain is pretty extreme.....I have a hard time standing up straight. I also have a lot of gas pain in my chest.....I'm having an awful time getting in my water and protein.....We got home yesterday about 3:00 and while I was home I was only able to drink about 10 oz of water and only 4 oz of a protein drink.....the heartburn is what kept be from being able to drink more. I hope today will be better.......they gave me Omeprazole to take but the instructions say to open the capsule and sprinkle it over pudding or yogurt........I'm on clear liquids until tomorrow! But I did take a small spoon ful of yogurt and sprinkled the pill over it and took it like that......also having a hard time sleeping, hense me posting on here before 3 am EST/

Oh that's not good, I do hope you feel better soon. I'm still on clear fluids only until Friday when I can introduce some protein. I think I've been incredibly lucky not to have gas pain or heartburn. Now off the computer and try and get some sleep.

I'm glad to come back here and see all the updates! @@kmorri, it sounds like you're having a rough go of it. Is the acid any better? Are you getting some good sleep yet?

I got home yesterday afternoon, so I was in the hospital for 2 days / 1 night. Of course I got very little sleep in the hospital with all the tubes in me, the constant waking up for shots and checks, On both days, I had to get a shot in my belly, and I can't even remember what that was for. It was the worst. I was getting shots in the butt, too. I know one of those was a B12 shot. My nursing staff was really wonderful, I couldn't have asked for better. My pre-op surgery prep nurse was awesome. We got into a good conversation and we have SO much in common. She was a bariatric patient, and we talked about that. After surgery... I don't remember waking up in recovery. My next memory is people getting me up to walk. It seemed like a mile, but it was just a few yards. I was still heavily under the influence and could barely keep my eyes open for that first walk.

After that, I was rapidly improving. I got to have a liquid meal on Tuesday morning for breakfast and was able to eat/drink a fair amount of it. For lunch, I got to have CREAM soup! I remember it being incredibly delicious, but couldn't eat much of it because it was painful, no matter how little and few my bites were. My walking was good. I was uncomfortably full of gas and couldn't pass any, so I kept walking trying to shake it loose. :) I wore my Fitbit watch all day yesterday and had walked about 2,500 steps that day, which I was proud of.

Last night after I got home, I just had a bland chicken broth and sips of Water. Still bloated and feeling fairly miserable. Took my drugs, went to bet early at 9:30, and slept great. Sleep is when our bodies are in healing mode, so I'm valuing my sleep.

First thing this morning, I finally started passing gas!! I know I'm going to start feeling better today when I get that all out of me. I need to get organized and plan some food/water goals for the day. I could very easily just not eat at all, and that wouldn't be good.

I hope you all are having a wonderful day!!

Day 2 and I'm so sore. The incision with the drain is definitely the worst. I've been up walking already this morning and hoping some of the gas begins to find its way out. This too shall pass.

Looks like I'm going home early this afternoon. I cannot wait for a shower. Was able to move some gas and even had a bowel movement so those are all good signs. I'm finding very cold drinks harder to tolerate than room temp or warm tea. Anyone else?