Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm looking to take a bikram yoga class. Has anyone done it? More importantly I am a month and 2 days out from lap sleeve surgery, is it safe?

If you've done it how did you feel?

"In the end we only regret the chances that we didn't take."

If I am correct in my thinking, Bikram Yoga is the correct name for hot yoga, is it not? I have not done hot yoga, but I understand how the heat would loosen muscles for the stretches. There are two things to be aware of though:

1st - we don't know your yoga proficiency so forgive me if I state the obvious. A prolonged session of really deep stretchs will leave you in agony the day after. I would describe it as rigor mortis for the living. The heat will allow you to get a bigger stretch than you would normally so you can over extend yourself thinking you are OK.

2nd - how are you at hitting your Fluid intake goal? Hot yoga has to be at 100+ degrees! In my regular yoga class, it is not uncommon for me to drip sweat. I would be a puddle in a hot yoga class. If you are not really well hydrated that day, you are risking dehydration, muscle cramps, heat stroke... and something else I am sure.

I really enjoy yoga and I know there is benefit to doing it, so I hope you are able to take a yoga class. Is hot yoga the right one just now? That I cannot say for sure.

Best of luck to you!

at one month my doctor cleared me for yoga - but only you will know if your doctor has cleared you for more than walking - it is important because we all heal at different rates. whatever you do, go easy at first and see how your body responds, because this isn't a race. There are few things I enjoy more than my bedtime yoga routine.

as far as hot yoga, as always, listen to what BigViffer says. :D

as always, listen to what BigViffer says. :D

I need to make that my sig line!

Hey there! I've practiced and taught yoga since 1994. I've seen so many "new" types of yoga evolve and I think that there is a now a class for everything. Fitness yoga, weight loss yoga, classes on paddle boards, the list is endless. While I think these can be fun, they are very far removed from what yoga really is. Traditional yoga evolved so the body can sit in meditation for long periods of time. It's main focus is pranayama (breathing) and bring focus and clarity to the mind. The West fell in love with yoga for its benefits of reducing stress, gained flexibility, and I'm some cases, transforming your body. A great place to start with yoga is a standard hatha yoga class. A good teacher should gently guide your through a series of of postures that include forward bends, back bends, deep seated stretches and balancing poses. I think it's funny how some people hear or see a hatha class and think "that's too easy it looks like my grandma could do it..." The reality is it takes serious core muscles to do these poses. But its perfect for beginners because in a good class, with a good teacher the focus is on YOU and where ever you are is where you should be. Period. It can take some people 3 years to touch their toes, others less. That brings me to bikrim- yes, it's a hot class. There are heaters set up all over the room to make it hot. And people sweat. And it can be competitive. Very competitive. I've had students who have gotten very very hurt trying to keep up in bikram classes- and as a highly competitive person myself, I get it!!! I guess if you are familiar with basic yoga and are in great shape and like a challenge, go for it!!!! If you are just starting out you may find it frustrating, overwhelming and downright dangerous. If you do go plan on several bottles of Water before, during and after class. Another great class is vinyasa yoga- it's a gentle flow series, no heaters. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If I am correct in my thinking, Bikram Yoga is the correct name for hot yoga, is it not? I have not done hot yoga, but I understand how the heat would loosen muscles for the stretches. There are two things to be aware of though:

1st - we don't know your yoga proficiency so forgive me if I state the obvious. A prolonged session of really deep stretchs will leave you in agony the day after. I would describe it as rigor mortis for the living. The heat will allow you to get a bigger stretch than you would normally so you can over extend yourself thinking you are OK.

2nd - how are you at hitting your Fluid intake goal? Hot yoga has to be at 100+ degrees! In my regular yoga class, it is not uncommon for me to drip sweat. I would be a puddle in a hot yoga class. If you are not really well hydrated that day, you are risking dehydration, muscle cramps, heat stroke... and something else I am sure.

I really enjoy yoga and I know there is benefit to doing it, so I hope you are able to take a yoga class. Is hot yoga the right one just now? That I cannot say for sure.

Best of luck to you!

Yes bikram yoga is hot yoga. Thank you for all the info I truly appreciate it. I've never done any type of yoga but I really want to try some type of yoga.

Hey there! I've practiced and taught yoga since 1994. I've seen so many "new" types of yoga evolve and I think that there is a now a class for everything. Fitness yoga, weight loss yoga, classes on paddle boards, the list is endless. While I think these can be fun, they are very far removed from what yoga really is. Traditional yoga evolved so the body can sit in meditation for long periods of time. It's main focus is pranayama (breathing) and bring focus and clarity to the mind. The West fell in love with yoga for its benefits of reducing stress, gained flexibility, and I'm some cases, transforming your body. A great place to start with yoga is a standard hatha yoga class. A good teacher should gently guide your through a series of of postures that include forward bends, back bends, deep seated stretches and balancing poses. I think it's funny how some people hear or see a hatha class and think "that's too easy it looks like my grandma could do it..." The reality is it takes serious core muscles to do these poses. But its perfect for beginners because in a good class, with a good teacher the focus is on YOU and where ever you are is where you should be. Period. It can take some people 3 years to touch their toes, others less. That brings me to bikrim- yes, it's a hot class. There are heaters set up all over the room to make it hot. And people sweat. And it can be competitive. Very competitive. I've had students who have gotten very very hurt trying to keep up in bikram classes- and as a highly competitive person myself, I get it!!! I guess if you are familiar with basic yoga and are in great shape and like a challenge, go for it!!!! If you are just starting out you may find it frustrating, overwhelming and downright dangerous. If you do go plan on several bottles of Water before, during and after class. Another great class is vinyasa yoga- it's a gentle flow series, no heaters. :)

Thank you!!! Do you know of any in nyc?

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend hot yoga for beginners like us. I go to a local rec center. Most of the people there are seniors or young people curious about yoga. I have no clue about the options in a monster city like New York

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

Edited by BigViffer

NYC!! Lucky Duck! I wish I knew a class. I'm stuck down at the end of the earth, Jacksonville, Florida. You are so lucky- NYC is a hotbed of yoga. I would just google anything with the terms gentle, flow or beginners in it and see what pops up.... It's not fair you have all those options!!!! I also love BigViffers suggestion of a rec center or even a Y If you have one. Lots of good teachers, good prices, all kinds of people trying it out. So how are you doing 2 months out from sleeve??? Good timing on your part- you are gonna need all new summer clothes I bet... I'll hoping that was on purpose on your part ;) ;) ;) ;) Hey is it still cold up there or has spring finally arrived?

Spring has arrived!!!! Yes there are tons of choices for yoga which makes it a little hard to pick. I want to become more centered mentally and physically and I've heard nothing but great things about yoga. I'm going to do exactly what you said and look up beginners yoga.

I am 5 weeks out from surgery. I have lost 42 pounds thus far. Starting weight was 300 and now I'm 258. That was as of the 18th of this month. I walk everyday 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 miles and was just cleared for weight training so I will be doing that as well! How are you doing with surgery and how far out are you?

Thanks Bigviffer!!!