Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sliming A lot

After my 2nd fill I began having episodes of sliming when I ate bread or a piece of meat was not chewed well enough, most everything else was fine. I had a 3rd small fill on Monday morning and now feel like I slime a lot! No PB at all, just slime. Which I dont have to tell anyone else is embarrassing if you are in public when this happens.

I have been chewing my food extremely well and not eating bread or bad foods. This has happened to me and almost any meats I eat, including 1/2 of a small hamburger patty. I believe as with the rest of my fills after about 2 weeks they loosen a little. After having one of these episodes I have to stop eating and then try again in half an hour because a lot of the time it happens after only 2 or 3 bites and I am still hungry.

I almost dread having to choose something to eat because I want and crave meat but am afraid to eat it! I refuse to just eat soft foods though.

Am I doing something wrong or is this something I have to learn to adapt to?

I can tell you from my husband's experience, he has to drink hot liquid before he can eat anything. He was banded in May and has not had any fills, he has been sliming since about 2 weeks out. He will fix coffee or tea before he eats or orders it when we are eating out. After the hot liquid he can usually get food down, he has been able to eat meat, but it has to be very moist.

Actually they only gave me .2 cc for my last fill. 9 days later I am happy to say I am not sliming at all now. I think I just had to let the swelling go down. I can even eat steak if I chew it well!

Thanks for all of your replies!

Claramae....PB is when the food gets stuck (and isn't gonna go down), so it comes back up. It's not like a real puke with stomach contractions and everything....it's kinda like "from the chest up" puke, if you can imagine that. The first few times I did it, I just kindof leaned over the toilet and whatever I had just eaten kindof came up and out, accompanied by a lot of slimey mucus. Sounds gross, but isn't THAT bad, and if your food is truly stuck it can be the only way to comfort.

Ragdoll - Have you tried strictly liquids for a day or two? Give your tummy a rest and see if that helps....then try again and if you're still having problems I'd consider a slight unfill.

I'm heading for a fill on Wednesday and have the feeling I'm gonna have the same problems as you for a couple of weeks.

Hope you're better soon.

Ragdoll:

I am not yet banded, but I am getting very nervous hearing all these side effects. I hear about sliming, and food getting stuck, and vomiting up golf balls, and so much pain, and can't eat anything, or not losing weight..... Does everyone have so many problems? I am wondering if I could ever just go into a restaurant, or sit down with my family at a meal, and eat normally, but just less. This is what I expected to happen. It sounds like it is so life altering in such a negative way. I am getting worried. Any thoughts?

Thinatlast... I can go to a restraunt and eat a normal meal just fine. After my 3rd fill I really had to learn how to eat with my band though. The first two months I thought oh this is great I can still eat without chewing so much or I can eat in a hurry. Now I have learned I must just eat slowly but can basically eat anything in a smaller portion.

It just takes some time to get used to is all. Once you get the hang of what your body is telling you it is smooth sailing.

Thinatlast: You have to keep in mind that we eat at least 3x a day, every day. That's over 1000 meals a year x 30 bites/meal (?)....that's 30,000 opportunities to screw up and take too big of a bite or not chew well enough or eat slowly. I don't have issues every time I eat, but right after a fill you have to kinda start over again getting to know your band...'cuz it's a whole new day! It takes a week or two of tweaking then it's alright again. If you keep having trouble then you start to wonder if you need an unfill or what to do?! That's when you see people posting problems on the board. You don't hear about all the thousands and thousands of people NOT having problems! Yes, issues will occur, but they are generally not long-lasting.