Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, after reading a bit on this forum, I have noticed that several times about people having to have surgery to remove their gallbladder. This is something that was not mentioned by the nutrition classes or even the book I was given to study and if it was mentioned at all by my surgeon, he must have grazed over it because I don't remember it. After seeing it on these forums several times, I got curious and it looks like gallstones are extremely common and some surgeons just remove it while they are in there poking around to prevent it from happening at all. My question is, should I request that it be removed while in surgery? My surgeon has not mentioned removing it so I'm assuming he does not but maybe I could ask him to? Any reason why I should NOT have it removed? Thanks all! You guys/gals are so helpful and this forum has been a wealth of knowledge so far!

If you haven't had any symptoms of gallstones, then removing your gallbladder isn't necessary. You would definitely know if you had symptoms, as gallstone attacks are some of the most painful experiences most people go through (similar to childbirth and passing a kidney stone).

So if you're curious, ask your doc to about your gallbladder, but they'll likely tell you not to worry about it if you haven't had any attacks.

I haven't had weight loss surgery yet but I have had my gallbladder removed. I developed a gallstones because I lost a lot of weight in a short time. I went a year with gallbladder attacks because I kept getting diagnosed as having indigestion. It wasn't until a gallstone got lodged in my bile duct and I got jaundice until they finally diagnosed it. Due to the rapid weight loss that usually accompanies weight loss surgery, you're probably at a high risk to develop gallstones. Personally I would just want it gone.

Pain is a weird thing for me... so to be honest I'm not sure if I've had what you're calling an attack or not. I know that my mother had to have hers removed a long time ago and I've scared her a few times explaining my symptoms. Hers burst while she was at work and she just kept working until she passed out. I tend to take after her a bit in that way. I know it's not a great habit to have but I try to avoid Drs. when possible. This whole process has forced me to be more tolerant but for the most part, I won't see a Dr. unless I have to. I guess what I'm trying to say is that knowing my mother had hers burst and seeing that it is so common, maybe I should just request that it be removed?

Edited by Lizardlady

Pain is a weird thing for me... so to be honest I'm not sure if I've had what you're calling an attack or not. I know that my mother had to have hers removed a long time ago and I've scared her a few times explaining my symptoms. Hers burst while she was at work and she just kept working until she passed out. I tend to take after her a bit in that way. I know it's not a great habit to have but I try to avoid Drs. when possible. This whole process has forced me to be more tolerant but for the most part, I won't see a Dr. unless I have to. I guess what I'm trying to say is that knowing my mother had hers burst and seeing that it is so common, maybe I should just request that it be removed?

Definitely talk to your doctor especially if you have a family history of gallbladder issues. You can request all you want, but keep in mind they won't remove it unless it is medically necessary/indicated however.

I've had my gallbladder out already. The pain comes from the upper right abdomen area. For me, it was right under my lowest right rib and radiated out.

I don't think a lot of insurances would pay for an unnecessary surgery, so it's probably not common practice to remove the gallbladder "just in case" it could cause problems later. However, if you surgeon notices that the gallbladder is full of stones, then that could be justification for removal during the sleeve.

When I had my gallbladder out, I also signed a consent to remove my appendix. Since the surgeon was looking around in there, he did look at the appendix and it looked fine, so it wasn't removed because insurance wouldn't have covered that.

Sounds like I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I will mention to him that my mother had hers burst and see if that makes any difference.