Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else experienced a lot of dizziness since surgery? I'm two weeks post-op and for the last almost week I've been getting really dizzy sometimes. This morning I woke up dizzy. After drinking a Protein shake, I feel better, but afraid it will return. I'm pretty good at getting my Protein in daily, although yesterday might have been questionable. Probably came close. I know I get enough fluids in, so I don't understand. I guess it could be blood pressure, but since I don't have a monitor at home, I don't know. I hate the dizziness. I had vertigo a few years back, and it took a while before it resolved. I can't go through that again! I'm supposed to go back to work on Monday!

Any one experience this?

Try to get in more fluids and see if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I will try more fluids, but I know I get in much more than 64 oz a day. I'll try to get in more. Perhaps I didn't have enough before bedtime. Maybe I need to up the nighttime liquid, and Protein.

Actually, yes I have been. I thought it was medications, but it could have just been my body adjusting. I must say even though my blood pressure wasn't high before surgery, it has gone down after surgery with weight loss.

Also, if you are on any blood pressure meds sometimes they need to adjust them after surgery. With too many doctors in the mix, sometimes it is missed.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NewAngela

Some people experience reactive hypoglycemia after RNY gastric bypass surgery. This is irrespective of whether they had diabetes prior to surgery or not. Here is a link for symptoms. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/reactive-hypoglycemia/faq-20057778

Thanks James...I am a Type 2 diabetic and know all about hypoglycemia. Used to have reactive hypoglycemia prior to turning full blown diabetic, so I know the signs. I actually did check my blood sugar this morning (I do every morning anyway). It was fine, so that wasn't it. I really do think it had to do with the Protein. I didn't think I hit my Protein the day before, and most everything I read said protein and fluids are usual culprits.

Thanks for replies. Feeling better now.

It seems quite a few people have this issue. I especially had it early on when trying to exercise but not taking in enough calories. I was just flat out weak. Oddly, I have been having some dizzy spells this last week (I am 10 1/2 months out). It isn't blood pressure or blood sugar or lack of food or fluids, so not quite sure.

Just be careful getting up too quickly. It should resolve itself.

Oh and I just remembered, my NUT specifically told me it was lack of carbs....

Edited by Daisee68

I have been having dizziness when standing. I checked my BP at home and it was 102/56 after walking around so I concluded it was likely from that. I had been taking Spironolactone( a Water pill, not for the normal heart issues but for oily skin) so I started cutting it in half this week and it is much better. If you were on blood pressure meds they may need to be adjusted. I had my RNY 4/4/16

I was placed on a high blood pressure pill back in October/November so perhaps it could be that? I take the pill in the morning, after waking up so would it still affect me prior to taking it for the day? This morning I had slight dizziness, but nothing like the day before. I made sure to get enough Protein in yesterday, so perhaps that was the reason? Either way, I'll have to get a blood pressure kit for home so I can keep my eye on it. I know when I was in the hospital my blood pressure was on the low side, and I did not have my blood pressure pill, so it could be that. Perhaps I don't need it anymore.

I'd definitely look at the blood pressure meds, and also your caloric intake.

I had quite a good dance with dizziness post-surgery. It got to the point that I would just randomly drop to the floor a few times a day. I knew that if I didn't get down RIGHT that second I was going to faint and end up there anyway in a far more dramatic fashion.

Initially it was definitely related to my blood pressure meds. I was still on three at the time. I stopped taking the 3x/day med, and the dizziness resolved.

Then it returned a week or two later. My blood pressure was normal this time (110s/70s), so it wasn't that. I learned at my 6 week follow up a week later that I'd only been getting half of the calories I was supposed to be getting. Calories were increased, and it again resolved and has yet to come back now.

All great information. I think I might get off the blood pressure med. I see my Endo doctor this week for my blood sugar, so I'll question it with her.

Also, make sure you are taking your Iron. I was checking by BP and BS with dizzy spells and they were always ok then I realized I had often been missing my iron supplement. It the beginning i was also not spacing my iron far enough away from my Calcium so probably wasn't getting enough due to that either.

I have a pill divider for the week, so I know I've been taking my Iron. I took a lot of supplements prior to surgery, so the divider thing has worked for quite a while. The dizziness has gotten much better with just slight dizziness here or there, but not as extreme as it was that day I made the original post. It was really bad that day, and it kind of took me by surprise. I think it was a combination of the spring weather hitting my system, the lack of enough Protein the day before. I've been making sure to get enough Protein daily and I think that has helped.

Thanks for thinking of the Iron though. I would not have though of that.