Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else struggling with the Pre-Op Diet?

Hi! I started my Pre-Op (mostly liquid) Diet on Wednesday, 4/20. My surgery is scheduled for 5/4. I got my surgery date on 4/19 and literally had to start the diet the following day. I've been eating better since I found out I was getting surgery, but I only had a month between getting my consult to my surgery date (a lot was fast-tracked due to already having many pre-requisites done).

I'm finding that it's harder than I thought to go almost all liquid. I have slipped up the first 2 days already, and I feel very guilty and like I'm failing. I did good today (Day 3), and am going to be 100% diligent going forward, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered the slipping up/feeling of failure?

I am allowed AT LEAST 3 Protein shakes (I make mine with Skim Milk), broth, sugar free Jello/water ice/popsicles, a small bowl of salad 1x a day and a cup of fresh veggies 1-2x day. Also Decaf tea (which I don't drink). It sounds good on paper, but it's really not filling. I'm not minding the shakes as much (I use Muscle Milk Light with a variety of flavors). It's hard getting all of the required Water in, too.

Does anyone have any good "recipes" for the bland broth, or tricks for maximizing the effectiveness of this diet? How did you pace everything out (menu?). I am hoping as the days go on it gets easier and the end result will SOOO be worth it. After the surgery, I'm told many people aren't hungry, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't see my nutritionist for another 4 days...

Thanks for reading/sharing. I'm new to this, but I felt like I should reach out :).

-Erin

Edited by erinkath

@@erinkath

I'd hazard a guess that about 99% of us struggle with the pre-op diet...

I did liquids for 4 weeks in the lead-up to my op..

I also 'failed' in the first week...

Don't worry about it...

But learn from it...

Don't keep doing it and forgiving yourself...

In fact, don't keep doing it at all..

The only suggestion I have is that each time you feel 'hungry', chew some ice...

It hydrates you, it fills you and best of all, it can trick your body into thinking that you've eaten something because you've chewed...

Your assumption that it gets easier is generally correct..

Your resolve increases and you become quite stubborn about it...

And your other assumption is even more correct..

It is SO VERY WORTH IT...

Good luck to you...

Come in here and vent and swear and kick stuff any time you need...

There's always a friendly, empathetic and non-judgmental ear floating around...

Kinda...

@@erinkath you are certainly not alone in your dislike of the pre-op diet.

I think that Kinda was spot on in his reply, too.

I used pre-mixed shakes on work days.....just easier to handle and mixed my own using powder and Water on my days off. I had 3-4 a day. I did use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup flavor powder some, too. When mixed with warm-hot Water it was a nice savory change over the other shakes.< /p>

Water....water....water. It was my friend. I did not go caffeine free on my plan....surgeon was okay with that. I was not allowed salad, milk or anything like that. I'm glad....as I'd have been chomping on stuff and surely add in items that I shouldn't have.

One thought keep resonating around in my skull during the pre-op liquid diet......one main thought. It was a tremendous fear. It was the visions of watching the surgical videos from our seminars. Seeing the part of the surgery where the liver is lifted out of the way was scary. Both times I went through this seminar (two different bariatric programs prior to my surgery....as I switched surgeons....switched bariatric centers)....both times....the surgeons stopped the presentation with this image on the screen......they drove home the point about easily damaged the liver can be from raising it up and holding it there throughout the process. They emphasized how critical it is that we remain vigilant during our pre-op liquid diet in order to shrink the liver as much as possible. They each recounted having patients that they had to abort the surgery up getting to this point due to their assessment of the patient's liver at this time. I did not want to be that guy.....the one who wakes up in recovery to find that his surgery was aborted.

Now....the above scenario was a worst case scenario that the surgeons portrayed.......but it hit me like a hammer. It was a singular reason to adhere to the liquid diet.

It was enough.

My pre-op liquid diet was 14 days. I lost 10 pounds during that time. This followed losing 45 pounds in the four months prior after starting my bariatric program.

That is a big change in rate of loss and was a very pleasant byproduct of adhering to the diet. It had me rolling into my surgery with confidence and momentum.

Please.....consider this your way to take action.....to own your safety.....to do your part to ensure a safe surgery.

You will find the same liquid diet is a piece of cake to adhere to after surgery. So easy, in fact, that I stayed with it for 4 weeks vs the normal 2-3. I had no desire to do the puree phase as I was completely satisfied with the liquid and the rate of loss. I didn't then......nor do I now....have any type of hunger. None. If I get the urge...it is in my head and not real.

I wish you the best and know for certain that you can do this.

Thank you all so much for all of the encouragement and helpful tips! I've done great today sticking to my pre-op, so I'm hoping the next 10 days fly by! It is going to be so worth it in the end, and I'm glad that I have a community here of people to talk to, and get non-judgmental advice. I don't know anyone in my personal life that has gotten any sort of bariatric surgery, and while most people have been very supportive, it's still not the same. I'm not working currently, so I have A LOT of time to think (and previously, eat)...but I'm joining the gym on Monday so that I will be ready to go once I'm cleared for exercise after surgery...and it can keep me busy leading up to it. I truly appreciate all of the advice and encouragement!

@@Dub - I think it's really interesting that you had to watch surgical videos prior to surgery. I haven't had to do that, but the parts that you mentioned would've been enough to keep me on track! I'm not allowed caffeine, but carbonation (I drink a lot of seltzer and sparkling water) has been the thing I'm missing most.