Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My journey so far. Still PreOp--

Hello everyone! My name is Stacy. I have posted a few times in the past but I wanted to take the time to tell everyone how things been going so far. I am still pre op. I want to my information seminar January 26th 2016. I have my first appointment with my Surgeon Dr. Christopher Myers. Feb. 22,2015. I had a hiccup with my insurance where my coordinator thought I didn't qualify. Needless to say I did.

I had my first nutritionist appointment March 3, 2016. Which started month one of six. March 15th I had my appointment with pulmonary to setup my sleep study which is April, 26th 2015. On April 7th, 2016 I had my blood work done, upper GI X-ray, blood gas test, and pulmonary function test. Everything came back normal.

Today, April 22, 2016. I had my Upper Endoscopy. Which also came but normal. I just have my psych eval which is an hour appointment on May 10th 2016. All my prerequisite will be done. I will just need to finish my diet classes and support group. I been to 1 of 3 support groups and 2 of 6 diet classes. (On April 19th 2016)

In July I have my appointment with my PCP. To get clearance for surgery. By August 12 I will have finished everything including my 6 month diet.

Now the numbers. I'm still very shy about disclosing my weight but I think it's time I tell. Started and highest weight 347 (March 3) Surgeon wanted me to lose 10% (also insurance requirement) of body fat. By my second weigh in (April 19) I was done to 328. I need to be 311 by the time August 12. I had a stall for 2 weeks. scale is slowly moving again.

I can't wait to have the surgery and begin my new and healthy life. I will update this post as the months go on.

Anything you tell me about what you eat and/or what exercise you did? I'm having a problem exercising because of my back. I have been maintaining my weight at 257. I started in January with my nutrition classes, 2 more to go. I'm stumped

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Mudgy6, try to stay away from carby foods like breads, Pasta, rice, potatoes. Use veggies for most things and be sure to get in good Protein. Exercise can be done from a chair. If you can google chair exercises, you will find lots of things you can do while sitting to get in some exercise. Start slowly and work your way up to a 30 minute or so routine.

Good Luck to you!

@@RNY-Gal

Thanks so much for sharing your story. You are doing fantastic! I had a very difficult time losing anything pre op.

Keep us posted on your progress. I am excited for you to experience life after weight loss surgery. Life is so fun now as a normal weight! You get to experience so much more of it!

Anything you tell me about what you eat and/or what exercise you did? I'm having a problem exercising because of my back. I have been maintaining my weight at 257. I started in January with my nutrition classes, 2 more to go. I'm stumped

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm on a 1200-1500 calorie diet. Everything I eat is Protein centered. I get all my Protein from food. I don't do shakes. (Not yet anyways) I walk 3 miles a day. Plus, I'm thankful to have a pretty active job where I'm constantly moving and lifting upwards to 50 pounds. Of course there are days at work where I'm just standing in one spot for 8 hours. ( I work in a cookie factory) I was very worried about the weight loss during the 6 month diet. I didn't think I was going to loss anything. Now I'm just trying to mix things up and loose what I need to by next weigh in and just maintain it for the remaining months. But I'm not doing well this month. scale isn't moving at all. But I notice I'm losing inches everywhere.

I'm struggling with the 6 month diet. I'm on month 2.

Sent from my SM-T550 using the BariatricPal App

@@~Pam~64~ I feel you, girl! I only have a 3 month supervised diet requirement. I'll be done 5/1. I struggle sometimes too. I work 12 hour Nightshifts 3x a week so my eating and sleeping patterns are not so normal. There are constantly Snacks and sweets in the Nurse's workroom. Almost every Shift!!!

I think about why I want to and am willing to subject my body to permanent surgical intervention whenever I feel like I'm slipping into unhealthy eating habits. I keep a goal/wish list on my phone. It has pictures of dresses I want to fit in, things I want to try post op (like zip lining). And yes, I have a picture of me at my highest weight on there too.

These months are my jumpstart towards my new life and new healthy weight. At first, it felt like punishment. "Why couldn't I just have the surgery right away? I don't want to do it on my own! If I could lose weight on my own, I'd have done it by now! " Now I realize how smart the supervised pre op diet truly is. I'm creating a new relationship with food. I am accountable to myself. And every pound lost on my own is a personal victory.

I've lost 30 lbs since Jan 7th. And that's 30 lbs I don't have to lose with surgery. And most importantly it's given me the confidence that I can be a successful post op patient.