Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for pcp in gilbert, az

I decided to post this in a couple of different forums here to help me get a good response. I have been researching weight loss surgery for a while. I am almost ready to start the process. I have decided on gastric sleeve and I will soon be going to my first information session at either Banner Gilbert or Bridges. I am leaning more towards using Banner based on what I've read here and their website and they are closer to my house. However first I am looking for a pcp who approves of weight loss surgery. I am never sick and so I haven't been to a doctor in years except for a chiropractor and ob- gyn. Instead of picking a doctor at random, I would prefer to start with a doctor who approves of weight loss surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions near Gilbert, Arizona?

I decided to post this in a couple of different forums here to help me get a good response. I have been researching weight loss surgery for a while. I am almost ready to start the process. I have decided on gastric sleeve and I will soon be going to my first information session at either Banner Gilbert or Bridges. I am leaning more towards using Banner based on what I've read here and their website and they are closer to my house. However first I am looking for a pcp who approves of weight loss surgery. I am never sick and so I haven't been to a doctor in years except for a chiropractor and ob- gyn. Instead of picking a doctor at random, I would prefer to start with a doctor who approves of weight loss surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions near Gilbert, Arizona?

Hi there. I live in Tucson and can only say that many PCPS down here are pro WLS. With that said, there should be tons to see up there as well. If you are considering WLS, just pick someone in your area with good reviews and then call the office and ask the staff. My insurance requires at least 2 years of charted weight to show a minimum BMI of over 35, so if you haven't established with a dr, you better do so asap. Sometimes Insurance companies like the pcp to write a letter on your behalf in favor of wls. Maybe your other doctors you have seen regularly would be acceptable instead of a pcp.

Of course another thing you could do is ask the bariatric offices you are looking at for recommendations. And finally, you really need to know what guidelines your insurance has for wls.

Sorry you haven't had any more answers on this post. Sounds like you really need to get your ducks in a row because the whole wls process is quite daunting, at least to me.

Hey there! I know it's a little bit of a hike uptown, but when I say mayo Clinic was worth it, Mayo Clinic was WORTH IT. I had a friend that went to one of the other centers, and was banded VERY quickly (about 1 month between his consultation and the actual band being placed). Mayo really prepares you for everything you need not only prior to surgery, but post surgery. And even if you don't go to Mayo, they have a bariatric support group every third Saturday of the month at the main hospital that is worth going to. I'm happy to answer any questions! I did a lot of searching before settling here. And I didn't have a PCP - they actually set you up with an all day slew of appointments - one of which is someone in their primary care department (who I saw twice during the process).

I know insurance factors in heavily in terms of how long it'll take for you to have surgery, but I had my first appointment in November and had surgery in March (almost 6 weeks!). Quicker than I anticipated, but that was because I was expecting the worst with insurance.

Thanks for the responses. I know my insurance requires the 6 month supervised diet thing so I know I won't be having the surgery anytime soon. I'm only about 85% sure that I am going to do this at all. I just told my father and a good friend that I was seriously thinking about it. They are both being very supportive.

Nearperfectmess: Congrats on your loss so far. I didn't look into mayo because I have anthem ppo and from what I read here I think I have to go to a bariatric center of excellence for blue cross blue shield and mayo isn't on the list. I figured I would just start out with one of their recommended centers right from the beginning and also Banner Gateway is really close to me and they are on the list along with Bridges.

Susan: I plan to ask the bariatric center I go to for a recommendation for a pcp but I am not planning on going to one yet for a few more weeks so I just thought I would throw the question out there to see what responses I got. Hmm that is an interesting idea to call offices and ask around. It just seems like they would think I was weird and doctor shopping by just calling up and asking that question. But I guess I am doctor shopping. I do have 2 doctors in mind based on recommendations from friends who are not overweight, but I didn't want to waste the time making an appointment and showing up to find that they don't believe in weight loss surgery or won't refer me since I'm a new patient. I will call one of the offices tomorrow and see how they react. Thanks for that advice.

I'm just really glad that my post is no longer listed under topics with no reply!

Thanks for the responses. I know my insurance requires the 6 month supervised diet thing so I know I won't be having the surgery anytime soon. I'm only about 85% sure that I am going to do this at all. I just told my father and a good friend that I was seriously thinking about it. They are both being very supportive.

Nearperfectmess: Congrats on your loss so far. I didn't look into mayo because I have anthem ppo and from what I read here I think I have to go to a bariatric center of excellence for blue cross blue shield and mayo isn't on the list. I figured I would just start out with one of their recommended centers right from the beginning and also Banner Gateway is really close to me and they are on the list along with Bridges.

Susan: I plan to ask the bariatric center I go to for a recommendation for a pcp but I am not planning on going to one yet for a few more weeks so I just thought I would throw the question out there to see what responses I got. Hmm that is an interesting idea to call offices and ask around. It just seems like they would think I was weird and doctor shopping by just calling up and asking that question. But I guess I am doctor shopping. I do have 2 doctors in mind based on recommendations from friends who are not overweight, but I didn't want to waste the time making an appointment and showing up to find that they don't believe in weight loss surgery or won't refer me since I'm a new patient. I will call one of the offices tomorrow and see how they react. Thanks for that advice.

I'm just really glad that my post is no longer listed under topics with no reply!

I've yelped doctors more times than I can count! I have also called many offices to ask the Dr's age, schooling, and treatment choices/beliefs. Don't worry about it! That is the beauty of google! Get names from friends, coworkers, your gynecologist, and the bariatric center and then google each name for reviews and yelp them too! Good luck!

I have an appointment with a new pcp this coming tuesday. I have no idea what she thinks about weight loss surgery. I asked the office staff and they said that all their doctors believe in working with patients to help them achieve what they want. They said that can't imagine one of their doctors just saying no, I can't have it. So I went ahead and made an appointment. The doctor I picked has a special interest in exercise and nutrition. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. She might try to convince me that I can do it without surgery. But I know I can't because I have 20 years worth of dieting that proves that. So I have an appointment with pcp on tuesday and I go to an information session at the bariatric office I picked on wednesday. I am going with Banner Gateway. I will let you guys know what happens with my new pcp!

Not so close to Gilbert but Dr makdesi in North phoenix has been wonderful supporting and encouraging

I am working with honor health care on 92nd st and shea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

gettingsleeved1: I hope you get approved quickly also! Do you really like your pcp? How does she feel about your surgery?

All went well. I went to my new pcp today and she listened to my story and said she will do whatever I need to help me get the surgery, She said she has helped about 8 other people have surgery. I can't believe it since I kind of picked her at random. I am so happy that step is done, now I am going to the informational session at banner tomorrow.

I see Dr Beth Furman. I'm on month 4 of my preop diet. My surgeon is Dr Fang at St Lukes, Bridges Center. I am so excited I can hardly wait!!! I hope Cigna approves me quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

During your pre op diet are you expected to lose weight? Or just not gain? If you do lose how will that affect your BMI requirements?

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

During your pre op diet are you expected to lose weight? Or just not gain? If you do lose how will that affect your BMI requirements?

I don't have my official first visit until this tuesday but my nut sent me an email that said that everyone in their program is required to lose something every single month and you can't gain weight. Everyone must at least do 3 months even if their insurance doesn't require it or even if they are self pay. During my seminar they said that the BMI you have during your first weight in is what they submit to insurance to meet the bmi requirements unless you have medicad and/or medicare (i don't remember which one) which requires you to be weighed the day of surgery and your bmi must meet the requirements

I don't have my official first visit until this tuesday but my nut sent me an email that said that everyone in their program is required to lose something every single month and you can't gain weight. Everyone must at least do 3 months even if their insurance doesn't require it or even if they are self pay. During my seminar they said that the BMI you have during your first weight in is what they submit to insurance to meet the bmi requirements unless you have medicad and/or medicare (i don't remember which one) which requires you to be weighed the day of surgery and your bmi must meet the requirements
Good stuff thank you so much!!

I see Dr Beth Furman. I'm on month 4 of my preop diet. My surgeon is Dr Fang at St Lukes, Bridges Center. I am so excited I can hardly wait!!! I hope Cigna approves me quickly.

I have no clue. My nut or doc didn't say either way. I called Cigna and they didn't know either. I've only lost 4 pounds.