Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Update

It has been one week today since my surgery and I am feeling really good. For the last two days I've been able to walk a full mile. I was able to stop the prescription pain meds after three days. I am still on all liquids and starting to get a little hunger now. It really is better everyday. I hope everyone else being banded in August has the same positive experience that I've had. Good luck to everyone. Becky

That's great! I get banded August 27th and am beginning to think a lot about the healing process and wonder what I have in store for me. What do you contribute your speeding recovery to? Positive self-talk, walking around during heeling?

Kim,

I have done exactly what the doctor told me to do. He stressed all liquids, with no cheating, for two weeks so I am trusting that he knows what he is talking about. I've used the Protein Powder in my liquids everyday too. I had also started walking a couple of weeks before the surgery. I think that helped me be a little stronger before the surgery and I started back walking short distances in the hospital the day of the surgery. Maybe I've just been lucky but I think what I've done has helped. Good luck to you!

Glad to hear you're healing up well, Becky! I'm planning to go back to work (desk job) three days out so you're giving me hope that it'll work. You're doing great!!

Becky, I will get my band on the 27th of August. I am not scared, but a little anxious. I am mostly worried that what if I only loose 10 or 12 pounds???? I know I will be very faithful to the instructions of my doctor, because I have been following his instructions on the liquid diet. So, I guess it is nearly impossible not to loose weight. Right???? That is my biggest worry.

Claramae, Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I am almost one month out now and feeling really good. I think if you follow your doctor's instructions you will be able to lose weight. Just take it one day at a time and you'll do great.

claramae,

good luck tommorow! I know you're nervous! It's normal but it will all get better. It's tough in the beginning but it does get better. Trust me, I thought it never would.

Pemy

You'll be okay! Trust us!!! Remember....you are doing a wonderful thing for yourself!!! We'll be waiting right here for you!!!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well! I had a mashed up ravioli (my own home made!) today.....heaven on earth! And, to think, I could sit down and eat a dozen of them all by myself!!! Oh my!!!

Judi M!!

YUMMM ravioli!!! recipie puhleaze???

and I couldn't help laffing when I read that to think you used to be able to sit down and eat 12 of them... YUP!! been there..

I came to work today and co-worker had delish homemade butter cookies!! so i took one and chewed and chewd and chewed till mush.. and then another little bite w/ the same. adn couldn't even finish 1/2 the cookie!! so to think I used to down 15 at a time....

Now i KNOW it's not the right thing to eat. But since it's in the head. and now i KNOW i can have some.. i'll be doing a LOT better.. so now i'm eating a fat free yogurt... cuz had my cookie :) (or 1/4 of it...)

Oh Becky, how wonderful for you at one week! :whoo: I am at one week today, and only put clothes on yesterday for my post-op visit. Goodness!

Somehow, I don't think my results are "normal" since there is NO WAY in this lifetime that I could walk yet. There were some minor complications that left me in surgery for three hours so maybe that's why I'm still so sore, especially around the port. It feels like a girdle would make it feel better! (Does anyone even remember a girdle????) :) I feel some better today, so maybe by the weekend...

You give me hope!!!! :) Thanks,

Picklebritches :D

Hi everyone,

I am 4 days out and feeling horrible. I am nauseous and having "spasms" up to my throat. What foods did you eat at 4 days? I think I need better ones.

Thanks,

Jody

Hi Jody,

You have my sympathy dear. I had awful nausea and so I used an otc product called Emetrol (generic is available), with Dr T's approval of course. Just sips of it really controlled my problem. Which went away after about five days.

As for food? I'm still on liquids! If you are trying to eat food, that is most likely the problem for you. If not, I suggest a higher quality, ready made shake.

For some reason, I was able to use the powder Protein mix just fine pre-op, but for the first few days post-op, I could only stomache the ready-mades. I'm back on powder now that the nausea is gone. Better for the pocketbook!

Try slowing down and really concentrating on those sips. Tiny, tiny sips. I even used a baby "sippee" cup at first! Part of my problem was air. Who knew that I breathe more through my mouth than my nose???!! Not any more and that really helped the gas problems!

As for the spasms, I think I know what you're describing, and after 7 days, mine are finally going away...either that or I'm getting used to them! My band is very tight and if your's is too, that could explain it. That is what my surgeon said was causing mine. I called them "un-productive burps". I never burp, just gurgle and spasm.

I hope some of these ideas help bring you some relief and that you find soon enough that they have passed. Whatever you do, don't panic. And of course, I am no doctor, this is based on my own experience, etc. etc.

Good luck! :(

Jody....

What are you eating? The first couple days I did best with sugar free Jello. Tried broth but the smell bothered me. A sugar free popsicle actually made me throw up. It was only about 4 bites and I'm not sure exactly what it was that made me sick so I skipped those. On the 4th day my husband prodded me to try to get some Proteins down. He was right, as soon as I did I felt better. My choice was sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast. I drank 4 oz over the course of 30 mins.

weight.png

September 2 was one month since my surgery. It seems like longer. Anyway, today I went for my nutrition class and got advanced to regular food. Yipee!!! I also got scheduled for my first fill on September 28. I am really anxious to hear from everybody about their upcoming fills. I know I am almost as anxious for a fill as I was to have the surgery.

Today the dietician told us that we are not allowed anymore liquid calories or soft foods. She said to stay away from puddings, mashed potatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, Protein drinks, smoothies, etc. It is just about the opposite of the way I've been eating. They want us eating the foods that require alot of chewing and will stay in the pouch for a long time, like chicken, beef, etc. We'll, ready or not, I'm on to the next phase. Wish me luck (and self control)!