Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 14 days post op and been on liquids for three weeks I am now moving to soft foods and the first meal was mashed potatoes I was able to easily eat a cup with only some gas discomfort so does that mean my pouch is bigger then others? Is it normal to worry that the weight won't come off? I have been walking everyday and getting more active. My weight also hasn't changed in almost 5 days

Sent from my Z812 using the BariatricPal App

You may have been able to eat a cup but you shouldn't. Instead of potatoes - eat Protein and only 3-4oz (if that much). You should stop after that amount even if your brain still thinks you can eat more.

Ok I'll try to do that, I thought the pouch wouldn't let me eat more then a few bites and I was so happy to eat food again I went over board.

I am 3 Months out and still at 1/4 of a cup. My Nut said it would take a year to be eating a full cup. Don't get me wrong some days I eat more then normal but usually its 1/4 of a cup.

Yes.... Just cause you can doesn't mean you should. I believe I was still on 1/4 cup of food then. Did they give you a packet with guidelines on how much food you should be eating during each stage?

@@deanna2178 - did you also drink while eating? Mashed potatoes goes through the stomach pretty quickly and if they are kind of soupy it would be quicker. Why were you eating mashed potatoes? Carbs?

I know every doctor is different but like the OP said Protein needs to be first, especially now. Greek yogurt would no doubt have the same consistency as the mashed potatoes but the Protein would benefit you in more ways :D

I ate soft scrambled eggs. I ate a little over 1/2 of 2 eggs scrambled, with cheese! YUM (still a go to favorite)

STAY off the scale - you are only two weeks. You may still be purging the surgery meds -

Contact your NUT and make sure you are eating the right amount and type of foods.

I was told to focus on eating small amounts of protein for the first 14days, stay hydrated and move!

Welcome to the losers bench!

Mashed potatoes, depending on the consistency, can be a "slider" food. They were on my approved foods for pureed stage, so those of you who replied with "you shouldn't be eating those" need to be aware that everyone gets different guidelines.

When I first started out with soft foods, I could only get in 1/4 cup, now I can do 1/2 cup of something like refried Beans or cottage cheese. Fish or something that requires more chewing and has more Protein I can only get in 2.5 oz.

Don't worry too much, nobody is perfect at this, and there is quite a bit of trial and error involved! You'll get the hang of it.

And stay off the scale for a while, it's better for your peace of mind ;-)

I believe most NUT's including mine do not want you to re-introduce carbs until week 6. I must have read my instructions a million times and I keep reading.

Your stomach looks like the picture I attached. It's far from being fully healed, so there are nerves that are cut and your "full" sensations may be a little wonky.

Everyone is right. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Get into the habit of measuring things out and stopping when it's gone. You'll be glad you started that habit!

post-212472-0-76921200-1460996786_thumb.jpg

The nerve damage to your stomach can be very deceiving. That is why you should weigh/measure your food (only 2 oz. of anything this early out) and eat on a schedule. You can't rely on any signals from your stomach for "hungry" or "full" right now. And as others have said, stick to protein!

As others have stated, you should just eat your portion, not eat as much as you can eat.

With the sleeve you will find that you can be satisfied (not necessarily full) on very little, but if you push yourself you can eat more. You don't want to get in the habit of eating more. Enjoy your tool and work with it, eat your portion and not more.

@@deanna2178 - did you also drink while eating? Mashed potatoes goes through the stomach pretty quickly and if they are kind of soupy it would be quicker. Why were you eating mashed potatoes? Carbs?

I know every doctor is different but like the OP said Protein needs to be first, especially now. Greek yogurt would no doubt have the same consistency as the mashed potatoes but the Protein would benefit you in more ways :D

I ate soft scrambled eggs. I ate a little over 1/2 of 2 eggs scrambled, with cheese! YUM (still a go to favorite)

STAY off the scale - you are only two weeks. You may still be purging the surgery meds -

Contact your NUT and make sure you are eating the right amount and type of foods.

I was told to focus on eating small amounts of protein for the first 14days, stay hydrated and move!

Welcome to the losers bench!

My nut told me soft scrambled egg and mashed potatoes but that I would only be able to eat a couple spoonfuls before I got full, but apparently I pushed it with the cup, so I am going to just stay away from them and take the advice to eat yogurts and eggs.

I am a little over 2 weeks out and mashed potatoes were on my approved list for purée. I tried it once but found out quickly that for me, it led to major carb cravings. I had been doing fine and not really craving anything. The day I had mashed potatoes and the day after, it was as though my mind was continually obsessing over what kind of cheat food I could fit in my sleeve. It was crazy. I stopped the carbs and went back to not really thinking about or wanting food that wasn't on my list.

For me, I just have an easier time when I'm eating my measured portion without much enthusiasm because it's time to eat rather than craving things and eating as much as I can until I'm full. But of course, everyone is different and it takes trial and error to figure out what works best for you. There is no shame in trying mashed potatoes.

Keep working your program & it will happen. In the beginning, I could eat 2 bites of chicken at some meals & 1/2 or so of puréed veggie Soup at other meals. I had a nearly week stall the 1st month & a good week of a stall the 2nd month--I'm almost 3.5 months out now & have lost around 65lbs--go figure. Sometimes it makes no sense. My doctor did say that when the scale isn't moving, usually your body is shrinking in a way that you notice in your clothes. Something that helped me SO MUCH in the beginning was the my fitness pal app. It was great to log in my weight, exercise & to look back at patterns, as well as, keeping up with my food measurements, Protein grams & calories--all were good for my awareness. Good Luck!!! It WILL come off!