Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is the pre-op diet necessary and so hard?

It's day 4 today and I AM DYING! I NEED chocolate so bad I'm actually crying! But I tried hard the past 3 days and I don't want to ruin it.

The thing is, I'm used to eating lots of chocolate to do my assignments and now I can't do this one. Deadline is less than a week and I didn't even start and its sooo hard to start. All I think about is that I need chocolate to concentrate and do all!

This is hell I swear. It's very painful and a lot. I'm convinced of the importance of a pre-op diet but I feel any minute now I will break down and go buy lots of chocolate and junk.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Don't do it!! You will go back to square one! Its not worth it to jeopardise your surgery.

The cravings will ease one you are in ketosis.

Im on day nine... and i am craving bread and meat.. but i remind myself that this phase will end and after surgery i will have a little more flexibility.

Why not have a chocolate flavoured shake? Or chocolate Protein pudding mix?

I will also add.... you must do the pre op diet to shrink your liver.

During surgery they move your liver to enable them to operate on the stomach.

Most obese people have a fatty enlarged liver.. hence if we do not to the pre op diet.. there is a risk for complications.

I ask you this...Is damaging your organs worth a piece of chocolate? ☺

Hun... i feel your pain... trust me.. its not easy.

But think of it this way.. we learn very quickly during pre op what our kryptonite is... for you chocolate when studying.. for me its bread when snacking.

So this kinda prepares us on how to cope post op when we can not have those things.

Maybe buy the chocolate Optifast bars? That'll give you the consistency of a chocolate bar and taste... and you will still follow the pre op rules

Honestly, in my experience, the pre op diet was the hardest and worst part of the entire journey. But, it is a very small sacrifice for a lifetime change. It didn't take a couple of months to establish our bad eating habits, so it's not going to take 2 weeks to fix them either. Resist the chocolate...it is not going to help, and it will only make you feel bad afterwards...keep looking to the goal and tell yourself you can do it!

Thank you so much! I just had chicken and some quinoa and I feel better! Prior to writing this post I called my best friend who's been supportive of my surgery but I don't think she understands what I'm going through. All she said was "ooh that's bad! Why don't u come over n have some chocolate and chocolate cake that I made? A piece wouldn't hurt!"

I'm worried now, my company didn't put any emphasis on the pre-op diet, they just said to me 'try to eat healthily until you go away' . I have been strict with myself; porridge for Breakfast, and a lean cold meat salad for tea, the odd cup-a-Soup here and there, no Snacks, some fruit and lots of Water. Have I done enough?

It's really weird, I'm strangely not hungry and not craving anything. If you handed me a tub of Mackies Ice Cream and said 'go ahead', I demolish it just because I could but I'm not craving.

I did t try any choco Protein shakes. The one I make everyday are green smoothies with hemp powder but I could try those and hopefully the lactose won't bother my stomach!

I'm only having problems with chocolate and I think if it weren't for my horrible assignments then I would tolerate the agony :-)

Think positive LuLu, if you give in and eat the chocolate you'll only spend the rest of the day miserable and mad at yourself. Whereas, if you don't, then you'll feel awesome that you resisted.